2014 The Star Australian Badminton Open Superseries

Discussion in 'Indonesia / Australia Open 2014' started by chris-ccc, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What's the issue with that?

2. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    Full praise for LD. But LD played the games like Taufik when Taufik in his best.
    He didn't raise his game in third. He only kept the games steady as game 1 and 2. That was enough to win again Simon who drops his momentum in game 2 and try to beat LD in games 3 by taking a few risk and didn't work.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... Just poking fun at some ppl who adamantly say there should be no quick coaching in between points or even coaching at intervals. So by the same token there should be no learning to coach either. ;) :)

4. ..JT..

..JT.. Regular Member

I got the racket from SN... Its a Nanoray 900. 3U G4. first number 0, last number 0. ID coded.

Got her to sign the racket and the yonex bag too! :)

5. wahchai305

wahchai305 Regular Member

ummm, it was my call(baseline) that the umpire over-ruled. if given the chance again, i would still make the call as "out", thus giving the korean pair the point.
    after the match, my fellow line-judges(sides) at my end intimated to me that it seem a correct call on my part; but the umpire see it "clearly in".
    as umpire, she is entitled to do so; i dont take offence frm that.

6. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Sorry, didn't read many of the posts in this thread, skimmed thru last two pages, but I wanted to give a little input.

Didn't watch the match, but if an umpire is making an overrule, it should be immediately and the umpire has to see it CLEARLY 110% that the line judge made a mistake to overrule. Challenging should be made immediately upon when the shuttle hits the ground. There should be no time to ponder or get a 2nd opinion. Either you saw it clearly in or out, or unsure, which then the line judge's call should stand.

As for the post about the tennis time limit, I actually was going to make a thread about that. I agree there should possibly be a time limit. I was watching a junior confederations team championship in which 1 player took too long. (Eventually, the umpire issued a warning to the player). But there should possibly be some time limit in between points. I mean one of the reasons why we're thinking of changing the scoring system is to make matches shorter.

As a viewer, it's very boring when players take a long time inbetween points. Especially after a few short rallies and then they're taking their sweet time. And I think it's something that discourages others from watching badminton.

7. wahchai305

it was a very short time between my call and her over-ruling. my recollection is it was a close call, far from being clearly in/out. thats why i was surprised at being overruled. its part and parcel of volunteering as LJ/umpire. i accept that.
    umpires are always reminded at the beginning of tournaments to move the game along. playing the game myself, i can appreciate (sometimes) there being a need to cut the players a bit of slack at the end of a long rally. usually i am more lenient toward the end of a match particular those that went to the third game.
    some players have a reputation for stalling; those are the ones i tend to hold a leash tight on.

8. wahchai305

i was there as LJ. it was saina who first indicated to the service judge abt marin's serve.
    marin ALWAYS has this double movement in her serve. she was faulted a couple of time. i dont think she tried to gain any advantage from her backhanded serving action. just a habit that her coaching team didnt pick up and corrected.

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Thanks for your insights about the incidents. I have seen carolina's serve in the replay which clearly indicates the double motion before serving.