2014 SWISS Open GP Gold : Qualification-FINAL (11th-16th March 2014)

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2014' started by CLELY, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Also it should be noted that both Chai Biao and Tang Jinhua had to play two doubles matches on Finals Day, the former in MD and the latter in WD earlier, just a couple hours ago - I'm bringing it up because some people thought it matters a lot, not me, a little at most. However, if this is their 2nd tournament in two weeks, then it matters considerably if the previous tournament weren't early exits.

#381 Justin L, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  2. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Viktor Axelsen's game play was more interesting to watch. Here and there deceptive shots. In the beginning I was going to say that THW doesn't deserve a win. But he showed real fighting spirit at the end, which in game 1 he didn't show at all. Especially all his smashes in game 1 were weak :-S
    However. I saw him throwing the prices into his bag after the ceremony *lol*

Viktor Axelsen was a little bit lucky that he was able to get back to the game in the very end of the match. In game 1 he was really eager to win. But game 2 and the second half of game 3 his game was too sluggish to me.

#382 Accordaz, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Not that surprising given the drift has played a big part throughout the event.

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

As expected, the Adcocks won yet another GPG title to complement their HKG SS title. They seem to be playing better and better after getting married. And on a good day, they can definitely beat the top pairs. They will surely a force to be reckoned with in the World Championships 2014, the next big event for the top pairs.

Owi/Butet better be ready for them, apart from the other top 3 pairs. Given the ranking positions (which I assume will not change much until the WC), the Adcocks should be seeded 5th, while the Danes will be 4th. A nightmare draw for Owi/Butet will be: a tricky European pair like Robert Blair/Imogen Bankier or Andres Kristiansen/Julie Houmann (R32), an upcoming CHN pair (likely to be Liu Cheng/Bao Yixin for the WC) in R16, Adcocks (QF), Fischer-Nielsen/Pedersen or Xu/Ma (inferior records to both, SF), and finally Zhang/Zhao.

5. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    Then it's even more surprising because if conditions have been like that throughout the event, a player should know better than to let so many shuttles drift wide especially not at such a crucial stage in the match. Axelsen is young, but he has participated in enough events to know better. Even Morten Frost was critical of his line judgments in the third game, at one point commentating that (and I'm paraphrasing) "the best thing I can say about that is that it was immature".

6. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    It was good to see that China again did not capture all the five titles as in the AE, Malaysia and Korean Opens although they did dominate in the first two SS tournaments of 2014 .
    Viktor Axelsen showed that his win over JOJ in the SF was no fluke but he almost fluffed against Tian Houwei in the final due to nerves and just managed to win narrowly at 25-23 in the rubber after several changes of leads. I am of the view that VA will take over the mantle of Peter Gade and will win more tournaments.
    The Adcock couple are now a pair to be reckoned with and they won convincingly against Chai Biao/Tang Jinhua of China 21-17, 21-13.
    Saina Nehwal’s misery continues and it appears that P V Sindhu has now replaced her as India’s number 1 WS player.
    Congratulations to the winners.

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yeah, he needs more time to step up into the elite level...
    Your fave was whitewashed by the young Dane in first game then he changed tactic to apply more aggressive style to grab second game. I thought it's over at decider when Tian produced so many uncharacteristic errors as Axelsen lead 11-5 then 15-8 but suddenly Tian catched up and almost won the match. Viktor is well-improved and has impressive run along this GP Gold, credit for both players to entertain us in thrilling final match and congrats to all winners :)

8. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Spot on!
    CB was a disaster while TJH was spectacular!

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Viktor AXELSEN(丹)【胜】田厚威(中)21-7 16-21 25-23

Very good match for both youngsters... Equally talented n excited to watch though they may not overtake their seniors yet (Viktor beat JoJ in SF). Denmark has a solid team for Thomas Cup (2 strong MS and 1 solid MD) and hopefully they can spring some surprises...
    :)

Side note: sad to see our (Msia) youngsters (same batch with Momoto, Viktor) are still struggling at senior level
    :eek: Hey, Ramdan Misbun just won the Romanian Open... LOL :D

10. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

He was a World Junior Champion in the mixed doubles in 2008...haha...beating zhang nan.

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    CB looked like he didn't want to be on court.
    Or is it TJH got body odour?

12. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I honestly think CB doesn't care about his XD. He only cares about his MD with Hong Wei.