2014 Maybank MALAYSIA SS Premier : Qualification & R/32 (14th & 15th January 2014)

Discussion in 'Korea / Malaysia / India Open 2014' started by CLELY, Jan 13, 2014.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    RI will be playing for a while, she is among the very best WS from the ROW. ZL and LL faded out because CHN has too many WS waiting to take over, a case of too much talents and only so few spots open.

2. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Tomorrow is R16 right? So it will be streamed on Youtube BWF Channel.
    Looking ahead, interesting matches in Court #1:

Pratama/Saputra vs. LiuXiaoLong/QiuZihan
    Lee Chong Wei vs. Wang Zhengming

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lose to Wei Nan? Maybe , maybe not. But, chicken , he absolutely is not (I know you meant it tongue-in-cheek) - he certainly won't want to beat Lee CW in all the relatively unimportant tourneys only to fall at one of the majors, so he will definitely prefer to maintain his weaponry in tip-top condition for the big ones when he'll be fully prepared and ready to go all guns blazing.

Perhaps, after the gratifying victory over Lee CW last Sunday (only 3 days ago including the 10 hrs flight from Seoul to Kuala Lumpur), he simply felt like he deserved a break and his body and mind automatically unwound a little too much such that he was not able to rouse himself up quickly enough today versus LDK.

That said, I must admit Lee CW is more determined, feels compelled and hungrier to get the better of Chen Long this time in order to redeem himself and, more importantly, regain as much of his battered confidence back. I reckon Chen Long is aware of that (in addition to his own winding down) and it's one of the reasons why he is not too keen to take his perpetual adversary on at this time and place. Really can't blame him for that - you'd be wise to sacrifice a battle, if need be, in order to win the war.

Just saying, I may not be right though; only CL and his coaches know what's going on. As for me, I'd love nothing more than another fascinating,intriguing Dream Final this Sunday; still can't get enough of it now that Super Dan is out of the picture for the time being.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Exactly, IR is so much more fortunate as a ROW player as compared with Zhu Lin and Lu Lan who had to continuously jostle with their compatriots, among whom are WCs, Olympic Champs and worldbeaters in constant supply, just so as to maintain their spots in the CHN National Team.

5. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Chen Long please do not lose just yet. Let's CL face TS then CL can give a walk-over to TS :)

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I believe Chen Long's recent inconsistency has to do with Lin Dan's great but unexpected comeback. Once he has sorted out his thoughts and started to look forward, not backwards, and march ahead confidently, he will rule the badminton world for a long time as the legendary Morten Frost once predicted.

To be frank, I'm eagerly awaiting a Chen Long vs Lin Dan Clash of The Titans, hopefully as early as in March when Lin Dan comes back to compete actively as he said he would.

On a different note, whilst you may consider Chen Long's style of play as less exciting or entertaining to watch as compared with Lin Dan's or even Lee CW's, I daresay once you get used to it, Chen Long can be as explosive and awe-inspiring as when he is up against Lee CW or, in future, against Lin Dan, for you need the most fearsome opponent to bring out the utter best in you.

7. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Akane Yamaguchi beats Ratchanok. Hi limsy, how are you doing? Top 10 by the end of the year hehe. It's on!

8. mrinalini

mrinalini Regular Member

Student
    Oh, please don't let it be TS who meets LCW in the final - their recent meeting at the SSF was just painful to watch. TS was totally unprepared; LCW is just on a different level altogether. If it can't be CL who meets LCW in the final of this event, let it be someone who has beaten him at least once before.

And really, if CL can only beat LCW so selectively, he really isn't all that great to begin with. What could be more demoralizing to LCW than to beat him on home ground and at his home event? You do that to him and he'll be even more scared of you the next time you meet. We'll see if CL and/or his team feels that he's up to that. I understand the strategy of limiting the meetings between the two, but that is really the coward's route and shows that CL doesn't think he's good enough to beat LCW consistently.

And spare me the excuses of being too tired from last week. CL is so young, and if he can't endure the grind that has only just started since it's the beginning of the year, he has little business being an elite athlete considering that far older sportspeople have endured much more and gotten along just fine.

9. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

"Limiting the chance of meeting a player", "hiding the secret of his playing" are really amazing imagination only found in the mouth of badminton fans, what a weirded sports! We never find these from other sports like tennis, squash, etc. this really makes badminton sports a joke.

The point is, are these claimed purpose really scientifically sound? Let's face the fact, badminton is not a trade of complicated technicality nor invention dependent, just a combination of a bundle of basic technique. Who are more skillful in these techniques will prevail.

I cannot imaging how Nadal or Federer will respond if they hear of such theory.... Must be laughing their jaws off...

10. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    Malaysia’s 2nd and 3rd MS and MD players/pairs were made to bite the dust in the 1st round of the main draw.
    CWF and DL lost to SS and DPY respectively in straight games and KKK/TBH (S7) and HTH/TWK (S8) lost to CB/HW (U) and CL/PM (U), an unheard of pair. Thankfully the Malaysian pair of GVS/LKW (U) caused the biggest upset of the day beating MB/CM (S2).
    Other big upsets were the exit of RI (S3) at the hands of AY (U) and KKJ/KSR (S3) to the experimental pair of FHF/ZN (U). FHF seems to pair well with any Chinese MD player and he did well at the VKBO last week with HW reaching the final.
    The Thai WS players are just not consistent, blowing hot and cold, and their coaches have to do something about that.
    KKK/TBH are just pathetic and BAM has to do something about the pairing without any further delay.

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    no worry,she need at least 8 quater final +2 semi final(in super series) to reach top ten:cool:

#191 limsy, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  12. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Well, at the end of the day, the point is that "everyone" should be impressed by her. Are you still not impressed? She beat the current world champion my friend. That alone is impressive.

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Tougher opponents waiting ahead for saina. Let's see whether she practiced hard or regained her 70% of form atleast.

I watched Sindhu's match just now and she is not at all good to me. First round match though she won, i must say ,she did not play to her potential.

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
     why should everybody be the same? i said the same(not impressed) to chen xiao jia,which won the ajc and i praised ratchanok,at the same year,ratchanok won her 1st wjc. i get blasted in the thread,u can read it,ajc 2009 thread.where is chen xiao jia now?
    same goes to pv sindhu.;)
    ---
    if u praised akane about half year earlier before she won the japan super series,i would say u are pretty good on scooting player.(i praised ratchanok way before she won her 1st wjc and it was 4 years earlier when i said ratchanok will win WC.;)
    u literally just saying what everybody already know,after she became the youngest super series winner:rolleyes:

[MENTION=62790]ssj100[/MENTION]

#194 limsy, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    good riddance. regardless of who beat them.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Let's be fair and face it. Between equals, the Best of The Best, at the highest caliber, you don't beat the other guy consistently. The fact that Chen Long has defeated Lee CW four times in a row, all in two straight sets is already an anomaly, and Chen Long is the first and only person to have done it, setting a record as it is. What more should we ask of him.

17. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Hehe, good to see I'm still getting to you!

The thing is, I've seen Akane playing in real life. Have you? And you know when I saw her play? It was before she won the Japan Superseries. I watched almost every game she played in the New Zealand Open 2013 (including the final, where she really should have won) - in real life. That took place around April 2013 I think, well before the Japan Open 2013. And you know what? I already predicted she would be a champion very soon with bigger and bigger wins. In fact, if you read through the Japan Open 2013 tournament thread on this forum, I'm very sure I was already predicting she could win the whole thing from the start - and she did!

Hard to be wrong isn't it hehe. Just admit it. I've been wrong, but never again hehe.

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hahaha. oh,i just found what u said in japan open ;)
    we shall see on 31/12/2014.
    then on 1/1/2015,u will say again:i've been wrong,but never again.
    haha,this keep ur butt safe until u been wrong again:D

19. sen

sen Regular Member

If I were to bet, I will take limsy side on this. Not because Akane is not good, it is because :
    1. It is difficult to climb the rank to top 10 from outside top 40. Learn the point calculation in order to understand this.
    2. I doubt Akane will play many tournaments in 2014, probably not yet.
    3. Many things can happen in 1 year.

Akane will continue to surprise everyone but no top 10 yet this year

20. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Sure thing, I understand all your points, but I really do believe this little girl can break through big time this year. When I saw her play early last year (with a world ranking around 190), I was convinced she'd be well within the top 50 by the end of 2013. And you know what? She would have been, if she had entered more tournaments. Anyway, I see she's now through to the Malaysian Open quarterfinals 2014 after thrashing the world ranked no. 13 in straight sets (following on from defeating the World Champion and world number 3). Seriously, she is the real deal.

If not top 10, then surely top 20. You must agree with top 20 right? But yes, my bet was top 10 hehe.