2014 Li-Ning BWF WORLD Championships : Day-7 (31st August 2014) - FINALS

Discussion in 'World Championships 2014' started by CLELY, Aug 30, 2014.

1. losima

losima Regular Member

lin dan learnt greatness from defeat and came back much stronger. this is the mark of a true champion. hope my wei2 one day will learn to do the same.

money is important, but to truly being remembered for being one of the best in the game, wei2 must win either the world championship or olympic gold.

salam%u00252B1%u00252BMalaysia.jpg

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Chong Wei’s defeat sours Merdeka Day celebrations

http://www.todayonline.com/sports/chong-weisdefeat-sours-merdeka-day-celebrations
    [​IMG]

Lee Chong Wei had been tipped to land his first major title in the absence of great adversary Lin Dan. Photo: AFP

Shuttler’s third successive defeat in final continues Malaysia’s 37-year drought in world championship

Published: 4:02 AM, September 2, 2014

COPENHAGEN — A crestfallen Lee Chong Wei and the Malaysian Badminton Association (BAM) were left apologising to the nation after Merdeka Day (Independence Day) celebrations were soured by the much-loved shuttler’s defeat in the world championship final.

The Malaysian world No 1 had been tipped to land his first major title in the absence of great adversary Lin Dan, but it was the double Olympic champion’s Chinese compatriot Chen Long who dished out the punishment in Sunday’s final in Denmark.

“I am disappointed with the way I played today. I guess my fans are also disappointed. I am sorry. I wanted so much to win it — but Chen Long was too aggressive,” Lee was quoted as saying by Malaysian media after the 21-19 loss.

“I tried ... but he was returning all my shots. I tried to break his rhythm and open up the game. I tried to play patiently, but I was making some simple mistakes. He was just unstoppable.”

Lee came into the event with concerns about a thigh muscle injury which had prevented his Commonwealth Games title defence and was also caught in a row between the BAM and his coach.

Men’s singles coach Rashid Sidek was banned from travelling to Denmark but then allowed to work with his shuttlers after the country’s sports minister stepped in to broker a peace deal.

It appeared to do the trick as twice Olympic runner-up Lee raced through to the final without dropping a game, raising hopes Malaysia’s favoured son would finally deliver a major title on the significant day.

But the tall Chen, bronze medallist at the London Games two years ago, proved too strong as he extended China’s stranglehold of the men’s title to seven consecutive championships and leave Malaysia still waiting for a first.

“I am disappointed because we have failed to end a 37-year drought in the championships,” BAM deputy president Mohamad Norza said.

“I sympathise for Chong Wei who tried his best to win the title.

“I would also like to apologise to the people of Malaysia because we ended up with only a runner-up spot on a day when Malaysians celebrated Independence Day.”

Lee, 31, who suffered his third successive defeat in the world championship final, was already looking ahead to the Asian Games on Sept 19 to Oct 4, one of his last chances to end his major title drought.

The row between his coach Rashid and the BAM had intensified after the poor performances by Lee’s understudies at the Commonwealth Games and the body is anxious about finding someone to fill the void, with Lee likely to retire after the 2016 Rio Games.

“It is a must to find Chong Wei’s successor soon. They must be exposed and moulded to take over. We must also continue our development programmes,” Norza said.

REUTERS

3. losima

losima Regular Member

this newspaper shld not talk crap!

firstly, there is nothing to be apologized. wei2 secured a runners-up spot, which is a great achievement.
    instead of being labeled a failure, he shld be hailed as a silver medal winner!

even li xuerue and lee yong dae, both olympic gold medallists lost!

4. lee-lee

lee-lee Regular Member

Doctor
    Another second! So happy for Ko!

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...8-Lee-Chong-Wei-(-李宗伟-)?p=2269037#post2269037

Post #10024 by Mr Epic:

“I’m here to win the world title but, for now, I’d rather take it one match a day. I don’t want to get all muddled up by thinking about the final. I shouldn’t be over-confident – I know that the matches will only get tougher from here,” said Chong Wei.

LCW has won many silvers and that's why he wants to win the WC gold very badly. Anything less is considered a failure as far as he is concerned. I guess he wants to live up to his record WR1 ranking and win at least the WC or Olympic gold before he is satisfied and retires.

It was reported that Chen Long as the current World Champion, wants to win the WR1 as well. So LCW will have to be ready not only for CL but other aspirants also.

#485 Loh, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  6. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

Its not all of high expectation or mental breakdown that LCW lost. Wake up guys. I agree part of it was LCW want to win badly. But he play a good final game here. But CL play very well and had all the answers of LCW play.

After Lin Dan, the other player that LCW had a very hard time to play is Chen Long. Their H2H now is 9-9. It said it all.

It will be hard for LCW in Olympic 2016. He will be 33 and CL will be at his peak 27.

7. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Would you draw any similarities to Chen Long's 1st round loss to an unseeded player from Guatemala in the 2011 World Championships?

By the way, he bounced back to win the next tournament he entered - I think it was China Masters or something big like that.

And now he just played the match of his career, so far, to win the WCs beating the world no. 1 in the finals.

I had my money on LCW going into this one - and I feel that when they actually played the points without unforced errors, etc, LCW actually had the better of CL - he just had a couple of blackouts, and made too many easy errors. Whereas Chen Long played LCW precisely the way he should be played, and except for lifting a bit too long at the last stage of the match, he played flawless, without giving away any easy points, and most of the time, staying with the strategy. Very well done indeed.

No one can take anything away from his championship.