2014 Li-Ning BWF WORLD Championships : Day-5 (29th August 2014) - QUARTERFINALS

Discussion in 'World Championships 2014' started by CLELY, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Good input, appreciate it. Thanks for the clarification.

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I can't agree on that one. Jordan was still adjusting, Fischer was rushing him with an early serve. Lifting his foot was not part of his movement to play the return, it was a normal adjustment to get into ready position. For me a bad call - while it is true that players arent allowed to move their feet before the serve is struck, the assumption is that both parties are ready which was arguably not the case here. Had Jordan raised his hand and refused to receive, Fischer should've had to repeat the service, at least if the Umpire was thinking clearly.

3. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

The rule CLEARLY states, that a player is ready for service, when an attempt of service is made, which he certainly did as well. If he wasn't truly ready, it is his own fault for not putting his hand up then. You can't blame that on Joachim or the umpire. It's simple as that.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I didnt blame Fischer, in fact I didnt blame anyone. I just said that I didnt agree with the call. He was adjusting and Fiscber served right after he did, so he played the return - his foot movement did nothing to gain him any sort of advantage and didnt look like it was intended to, either.

5. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

As an umpire, we have to follow the rule of the law. If a shuttle is flying 5 feet out, and the player reaches out with his racket to catch the bird and bring it onto the court faster, unfortunately is a fault. There's no bending the rules and be like "oh it was heading way out, so he should be allowed to catch the bird and not get penalized". We start bending rules and soon people will start to take advantage.

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hm maybe I need to watch it again, what I saw was him moving his foot right before Fischer started his racket's forward motion. But maybe that wasnt right, idk.

7. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    -

#287 Sundis, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2023