2014 Li-Ning BWF WORLD Championships : Day-4 (28th August 2014) - Round of 16

Discussion in 'World Championships 2014' started by CLELY, Aug 27, 2014.

1. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Sindhu P. V. Vs Yeon Ju Bae 19-21 22-20 25-23 would have been quite a match!

Eric Pang and Pablo Abian have improved drastically over last few months. I was expected an upset by Pablo yesterday, but Nguyen never let him settle and was too fast for him, especially in game 3.

2. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Ah! Marin demolished Yihan...how did I miss that!! Very impressive. I love WS group. Apart from LXR, everyone seems beatable! Hoping atleast a single upset from Saina/Sindhu tomorrow against the Chinese. Would be great if both the Chinese are out :cool: !

3. indrg

indrg Regular Member

JOJ retired early in the game today? 21-9 9-4 Retired

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah he seems to have picked up a knee injury in his last match, couldnt move properly in the first and decided to give up in the second

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd advise you to kindly refrain from using the term 'cheating' as that would be equivalent to accusing BWF for allowing or condoning 'it'. Until today, CHN has never been charged for breaking any of the rules and regulations laid down by the world-governing body, BWF. On the contrary CHN has been unfairly targeted by BWF to substantially limit CHN's chances of winning at the Olympics. Anyway, I have no wish to be drawn into other issues not related to the article where Saina supposedly expressed those views of hers. Enough said.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wang Yihan seems to be troubled by some personal issues perhaps (better not speculate). I won't be surprised if she decides to retire before the Rio Olympic cycle, who knows.

7. indrg

indrg Regular Member

It is really too bad! LCW, WZM, CL and TS remain if TS can overcome the tough Hu Yun today.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Next up, Hu Yun vs Tommy Sugiarto. I'm rooting for Hu Yun, all the way!

9. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    you call it games man ship or cheating or whatever, words do not defy logic. .what is evident is being said. Enough said. .something needs to be done now, ps: by the governing body.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Tommy is very fit and has a superb defence, if your attack is not strong enough to break his resistance he will turn around to counter-attack you with venom.

11. Penwinack

Penwinack Regular Member

Maybe she knew that LYB selected WSX to AG.

12. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Though yes I admit there are times at which the performance of certain Chinese players alters conveniently to bring benefit to the national squad, there is no large scale problem.

Saina is a loser to say such a thing, and I am an Indian for what it's worth. The way these people talk about Chinese players seems to me to be heavily prejudiced at best, or racist at worst.
    Also the way you are talking it appears that there is some systemic problem in badminton. As far as my observation goes, I haven't seen any systemic abuses or "cheatings" in world badminton. And the international federation has already done much for it. The only case in Olympics was charged with a disqualification in London Olympics. The player who were removed were clear-cut favorites of winning the Gold.
    The participation in Olympics has been limited to 2 players per country, which in essence means gifting the bronze medal.

Also you sound as if it is "cheating" that has made a Lin Dan or a Li Xuerui or a Wang Yihan or Chen Long etc. I am sorry to inform you that they are truly great players.

Also from the language of Saina it is pretty clear that she is not accusing of Chinese players of cheating or something, She wants their participation cut so that others get more "opportunity" to play. Well, why not we just remove Chinese players all together? This is ludicrous.

Do you have any stats to prove your allegation of Cheating in China Masters? Remember, all superseries are conducted and under direct supervision of BWF. Also as far as I know, the refree and the umpires almost always are of a neutral country, with line judges of different countries from the semifinal onwards. And I have been following badminton for some time now atleast since London Olympics, and I have seen the matches of China Masters which Saina was talking about, and to me there seemed no anomaly.
    The real reason to me seems to be that people are generally overwhelmed at China Masters because it is a home event for the nation, they have many players represented there and they take it seriously. That intimidates everyone and people construe even minor things as systemic biases.

13. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    One final thing arjevo, It is not keeping with India's fine traditions to accuse someone unfairly and unnecessarily. We must grow stronger, and not find ways to restrict participation of better opponents. That is the real sportsmanship. After all, sports are meant to award the strongest irrespective of their nationality.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Devendra, I salute you.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

LCW and Chen Long had better watch out for Tommy, his form is very impressive the way he dealt with Hu Yun.

16. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    go and watch the match between yu sun and nehwal which was played in china open 2013 and you will know how the chinese chair umpire behaved initially and more so if you wan't to know. .i never wrote any of the chinese players name in my post, i myself am a big fan of badminton first rather than of a particular player and some of the chinese players are my favourites too such as lin dan so better read things twice or thrice if you don't understand at first place and than quote someone. and i have already said, words do not defy logic, whether its biasness by an umpire or line judges or silly little tactic by "any player belonging to any country", i don't care, when something wrong is done. .it needs to be stopped. i only wrote the name of china open because there they use umpires and line judges from china only no matter if a chinese player is playing or someone else is playing, so kindly look into the language you have used in your post and made me look as if i have said that lin dan's or li xuerui's success is fluke.. .no mister i never wrote that. don't try to make issue here. .don't spill crap.

17. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Please no! She is just too much of a wonderful athlete. Though I couldn't have ever imagined such a thrashing of the former World Number 1, I have belief that she will come back stronger, the way she came back after 2010 fiasco. While I like Wang Shixian, she is totally unreliable and is just too passive in her play. She is good infront of fellow non-attacking players like Bae Yeon-Jau but fails incredibly infront of any attacking player like Sindhu. Also Wang Yihan is just 26. I had read before that her idol is Zhang Ning and she wants to emulate her. Zhang was a late boomer, so I find it hard that she will give up at the age of 26. I expect her to fight hard to get one of the two coveted spots on the Chinese national squad.

18. Tybalt

Tybalt Regular Member

Man, this is a freaking weird World Championship.

19. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Though I have certainly watched the match before and as far as I remember, I found no major problem in that match. Yes, there were some squabbles but they didn't seem major.
    But for your sake, I will watch that game again. I will come back to you tomorrow because it's already past midnight. Also it would be better if you can point instances where there were grave problems in that match.

To add, I can't understand more than what you have written, and what you have written seemed to suggest grave problems regarding cheating in International Badminton concerning Chinese players.
    Also, please learn to ignore small problems of umpiring here and there, they may not necessarily be a grand plan to down a particular player. Even today I witnessed many clear-cut errors in umpiring, one among them benefiting Sindhu. Do I then blame Sindhu for cheating? or the umpire? (Remember the umpire of Indian ethnicity and it won't be too far a stretch to blame him)
    No. These things happen. Though systems must be perfected to counter it, like the review system, things still inevitably happen.

So, finally hold on for some time, I will get to you after watching that game. Also, I apologize if I made some mistakes in understanding you. But, please love the better player, not the country attached. Let the country be immaterial, only then will the sport grow and the tentacles of chauvinistic nationalism in Badminton come to an end.

20. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    once again i would say, first read things carefully twice or thrice if you don't understand them at once, i already wrote in the very first post of mine that i don't support what saina nehwal has said at all, what's your problem man, and i have serious doubts about your knowledge of India's traditions so i really don't wan't to argue on that neither i wan't to justify myself. i am not philosophical in whatever i say and do, i am just a practical man my dear fellow Indian.