2014 KOREA Open SS - Entry List & DRAW

Discussion in 'Korea / Malaysia / India Open 2014' started by CLELY, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Curious to know as well. That Korea has a more developed economy as a reason seems doesn't follow.

2. batpod

batpod Regular Member

Wow, I've already known that Korea Open GPG becomes GP.
    The minimum prize for GP is 50000 dollar, isn't it?

3. markuswair

markuswair Regular Member

Student
    I guess the prize is not necessarily directly correlated with countries' GDP, albeit in most cases it's positively correlated. Yet, taking into equation the PPP of those nations' exchange rate and prominence of badminton in those country, those prize difference does make sense.

4. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    It is not correct..Korea still has GPG, not GP..have checked the source and the calendar still listed Korea with 120000..I do not know how Event got the idea that Korea GOG becomes Korea GP..

5. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Itnis nothing to do with prize money,AUS $750000 still SS, not SSP..

6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

7. event

event Regular Member

Thanks for the correction and the extra information. It is true that the BWF still has Korea's second event listed as a GP, but they do have the $120,000 prize money so perhaps it will be corrected. I was sure I had seen 50,000 somewhere - i.e. that it was not just an assumption based on the 'GP' listing - but at this point, I cannot explain it.

The news that Korea is hosting the BAC explains why it is not on the BWF calendar yet. Interesting info about the BAC prize money. That defeats the Korea/Malaysia portion of my argument, I suppose ;)

8. event

event Regular Member

If you mean that GDP has nothing to do with prize money, I agree. As for the SS vs. SSP status, there is sometimes a connection. The BKA made it clear in 2010 that they were putting the prize money up to 1.2 million to ensure that they would get one of the SSP events, something that they didn't seem to believe they could get based on prestige or other assets, and they pointed out that they would only have ponied up 1 million if they had known there would be 5, instead of the 4 that were stated. Australia, too, had two different prize money totals listed in their bid last year and it seems natural to assume that the high figure was an attempt to make their bid more attractive. The AE has always had the minimum, of course, knowing that the BWF would never deny such a storied event the higher status.

Still, this doesn't explain everything. For example, there is no reason to think that Malaysia had to double the offers by India or Japan in order to stay among the Superseries regular 7 the last three years.

9. event

event Regular Member

Ah, I see that huangkwokhau already said basically the same thing here.

10. Penwinack

Penwinack Regular Member

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Tricky test for MS & XD top-seed at R/32, Lee CW & Zhang/Zhao will meet home shuttlers Son Wan Ho and Shin BC/Eom HW respectively. Another interesting first round encounter, 3rd seed Tommy Sugiarto v former world junior champion Tian Houwei.

12. otidh

otidh Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hayom will be up against Tanongsak once again after their meeting at the final of SEA Games. Can he get a revenge? :)

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hmm...Wang ZM withdrew while Tian Houwei is in, for the latter his first in an overseas SS - a sign of what is to come between the two of them ? Well, WZM was given his chances at the SSF but he floundered.

14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Some players have withdrawn according to ts com update : Ajay Jayaram (IND), Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong (MAS), Wang Xiaoli/Yu Yang (CHN), Chai Biao/Tang Jinhua (CHN), Chan Peng Soon/Goh Liu Ying (MAS).

15. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Really looking forward to seeing what Tan Houwei and LYD/ Shin can produce. LYD/ Shin vs Xu/ Ma in R2 should be good.

EDIT- Could anyone point me to where withdrawals are updated please?

Thanks

#35 *___*, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014