2013 Yonex CANADA Open GP : Qualification-FINAL (16th-21st July 2013)

Discussion in 'US / Canada Open 2013' started by CLELY, Jul 16, 2013.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Everybody have their own opinion about this incident. Already this video gone viral among badminton lovers all around the world. What's wrong if they come back to play after two year ban and qualify for Olympics???

Thailand players are the only players whom i have seen behave politely on court with everybody :). This case is an exceptional one. I want BWF to come up with a solution after having a complete back check of the details involved in this incident . Punishment is necessary but considering their life also important as well. That's all i wanna say :).

Pressing "Red buzzer" always won't help in finding a result.. Sometimes, pressing "white buzzer" will do..:D;)

#261 scorpion1, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You set a precedent and everything follows from there.

Punitive action is meant to discourage others from making the same mistake. The rule applied has to also form a deterrent, otherwise it is useless and only addresses the immediate situation. That would be an ostrich-in-sand approach. Sounds like what BWF would do! :D

3. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Even some of the Olympics disqualifiers were not punished by the respective badminton association of their countries. Instead, they were rewarded for their contribution.

More or less, both these situations are same.

In the former, they cheated the sport and it was similar to match fixing. In the latter, had a brawl on court. But this is due to their personal vengeance. Both needed high degree punishments. 2 years is enough for this. But the london olympics disqualifiers did not get any punishments. They are aiming for the next Olympics. In this case, match fixing is correct?? Match fixing is a very great blunder than a brawl.

#263 scorpion1, Jul 25, 2013
  4. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Stanislav Pukhov got one at a White Nights event a few years ago (2009)

I'm sure Andrew Smith got one as well in Vietnam one year.

#264 LD rules!, Jul 25, 2013
  5. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]BWF elicits statements from Issara and Jongjit[/h]http://www.badzine.net/news/bwf-elicits-statements-from-issara-and-jongjit/26344/

Excerpts:

The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has begun disciplinary proceedings against both Bodin Issara and Maneepong Jongjit of Thailand in the aftermath of the violence that erupted during the men’s doubles final at last weekend’s Yonex Canada Open. Only Issara and his partner Pakkawat Vilailak were disqualified from the final and the Canada Open title has been awarded to Jongjit and Nipitphon Puapuangpech, who have moved up to #13 in the world rankings as a result.

Althout Vilailak was named in the disqualification by the umpire of the match, he is not the subject of any disciplinary action and it is instead Issara and Jongjit who have been asked to submit written statements to the BWF by July 30th. Jongjit is charged under Sections 4.1, 4.14, and 4.16 of the BWF Players’ Code of Conduct, which relate to Inappropriate Conduct), Oral Abuse, and Unsportsmanlike Conduct, respectively. Issara is also charged under Sections 4.1 , 4.14, and 4.16 and additionally under Section 4.15 (Physical Abuse), and 5.1 (Conduct contrary to the integrity of the game).

Should the players be found guilty, the penalties the BWF Disciplinary Committee could decide to impose range from a reprimand, to fines, to (possibly in the case of Jongjit) return of awarded prizes, and suspension ‘from all competitive events for such time as is seen fit, including possibly for life’.

A BWF press release on the matter also mentioned that the federation had forwarded letters, reports from tournament officials, and video footage of the incident to the Badminton Association of Thailand.

7. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

Mr. Jane Piyata requested me to pass this on to all badminton fans, in particular, the Canadian fans:
    25th July 2013

Dear sirs,

First of all, on behalf of Granular club, we would like to apologise BWF and all member, Badminton Canada, sponsers, staff and the wider community of Badminton fans that this situation has arisen, and has added the extra burden of embarrassment and ridicule to what was ultimately a season of under achievement.

Please do accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced in respect to this incident.

At Granular club, we take pride in ensuring that sportmanship always come before victory. Unfortunately, this case Mr. Bodin did handle his personal issue negatively and unsportmanlike.

As a testament to our strive for improvement, we have taken steps to ensure that Mr. Bodin and his behavious will become an important lesson to himself and other players, Granular club decided to suspend him to all competition both abroad and domestic for the entire 2013 year. During his punishment Mr. Bodin will not receive his salary and all benefits effectively from the date herein. During his suspend period, Mr. Bodin, to redeem his mistake by devoting his time coaching Junior players as public service and of course, his bad temper and it's consequences will be one of the main lesson to his students.

Mr. Bodin has recognized his mistake and grateful for any punishment from BWF and The Badminton Association of Thailand under His Majesty's Patronage. Granular club, especially Mr. Bodin, truly wish that his outrageous act did not in any way, reflect the greatness and integrity of Badminton and it's long history by all means.

Sincerely yours,

jane piyatat
    president of granular club

8. icey_drone

icey_drone Regular Member

Student
    Bodin's fault in my opinion

Why not fight in the streets of Thailand, instead of bringing it to a Canada Open final?

People fight all the time, fights happen everyday, but to do it infront of so many spectators, dignitaries and officials in the public... that's just stupid

Should've been able to control it

But then I don't know his whole life story, perhaps he went through a traumatic event in his life? Or maybe Jongjit is insulting him or bringing up that traumatic event? I don't think any of us would know, but in my eyes, he's still at fault

Worst thing is he did not recognise what he did was a mistake, he didnt apologise to Jongjit and made an excuse that he was provoked and emphasised being hit in the face by Jongjit's racquet. In the end, he was still pointing fingers and putting the blame on another person.

#268 icey_drone, Jul 25, 2013
  9. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Already posted several pages back. Basically, Maneepong pressed Bodin's berserk button DURING the break, uh, thrash talk. Hence the baddie-turned-MMA.

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    @jyeung thank you for posting this message from the President of Granular Club. If you happen to be in touch with the gentleman, please thank him on behalf of BC and all of us in whatever capacity we function for badminton. It was very kind and correct for him to issue this statement.

We should look forward to seeing what similar action is taken by Maneepong or Badminton Thailand.

#270 cobalt, Jul 25, 2013
  11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Maneepong knew what he was doing. Just because he got pounded does not make him more innocent. He should be as contrite as Bodin when allowed to make his statement.

12. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

I'll pass this on to him!

13. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    Bodin sent Maneepong an apology through Line, but no response from him.

Read here

to me, maneepong not completely innocent.

14. Anatta

Anatta Regular Member

I think Bodin’s TV interview was already translated earlier in this thread. For Bodin’s statement to Thai people, it was his first message after the incident and was aired on TV:

“I am Bodin Issara. I have to apologize Thai people for the incident. This happened because I got hit by the racket at the ear until it ripped and bled. That made me lose my mind. I have to apologize all Thai people for defaming the nation and I solely admit all mistakes. I hope everything ends here. Thank you.”

At the time (July 22), there was just only a clip or two coming out. His manager later gave the correct sequence of happenings in the interview. (People in sport forum criticized that it's twofold shameful as Bodin obviously lied.)

On Maneepong side, a short interview was given to a CH3 tv reporter @Annanop
    who reported through Twitter (July 22):

- Maneepong said the problem started just when his side had got the first point and he cheered with loud voice. Bodin asked (in vulgar language) why he made loud noise.

- Bodin gave him ‘verbal middle finger’ and challenged for a fist fight after the match. Maneepong then gave back Bodin vmf one time which made Bodin mad and challenged him throughout the game for fist fighting.

- Maneepong said Bodin shouted to his coach to set up a boxing fighting after the match. However, between changing side, Bodin punched him according to the clip.

- Referee reviewed the video playback and let his pair win. They also called the police to deal with the situation.

Now it seems BAT asked them not to give any further interview. Tomorrow BAT will have a meeting regarding the punishment and it is likely that Bodin and Maneepong are to give press conference and they will shake hands!

#274 Anatta, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  15. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Hi jyeung.

The pictures are great. Just curious do you have higher resolution pictures? I assume you have taken them in RAW or a higher resolution that what is posted here.

16. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

Yes, I have high resolution jpg files, I don't shoot Raw on badminton tournaments because it takes too much time to pp for fast turnaround! And the jpg files that come out of the 1DX are fairly consistent in general, needing only minor adjustments!

#276 jyeung, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  17. jyeung

jyeung Regular Member

Sorry, just realized I'm in the wrong thread for this topic!

18. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I might have been sympathetic to Maneepong, at least right up until he started flicking his racquet eye-level at Bodin's head. In my opinion delivering a few open handed slaps a boot is light treatment for such cowardice.

19. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    wah!
    17 pages and going

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Badminton - Badminton brawl player suspended - report

Thai shuttler Bodin Issara has been suspended by his club Granular until the end of the year for his on-court punch-up with former doubles partner Maneepong Jongjit during Sunday's Canada Open final, local media reported on Saturday.

Reuters – 48 minutes ago

Trouble broke out in the tie between two Thai pairs after Maneepong and Nipitphon Puangpuapech bagged the first game. At the change of ends Maneepong hit Bodin with his racquet following a heated verbal exchange.

Bodin retaliated by chasing down Maneepong to a neighbouring court and rugby-tackled him to the ground before punching him several times, incurring a disqualification.

-----------------------------------
    Full article : http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...-thai-bodin-court-punch-report-062702958.html