2013 Wang Lao Ji BWF World Championships : Day 7 (11th August 2013) - FINALE!!

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by clawhammers, Aug 10, 2013.

1. XoXoXo

XoXoXo Regular Member

yes I'm glad Tantowi have overcome his nervous, and grow up! Liliyana really awesome today! Wow they beat 2 Top Chinese pairs, WR1 Xu/Ma & WR2 ZZ. Meanwhile Tantowi/Liliyana doing a really great teamwork and take they game to another level, this is should be Rexy hand :D Kudos

hehe you don't know we have SUPER RAT................................ She definitely the best candidate to break that :)

2. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I just wanted to say that Sun Jun played till the very end.

The comparison is the different reaction by Gillian Clark and her fellow commentator in 1997 from the sympathy she showed today. Might have been the same as in 1997 if Lin Dan had cramped on the other side.

3. jsteve

jsteve Regular Member

OK. I understood that you are comparing the behavior of players.

4. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    For every sport, there is a hidden deeper meaning of learning the basics of humanity, of sports bringing in people from every corner, from every nation, to inculcate togetherness, fester competitiveness amongst each other and for the betterment of the individual athlete. As for their supporters, if besides enjoying the thrill of simply supporting who is the best (which is just so easy, no big deal, nothing to shout about), if besides condemning the player who is being defeated and in doing so, you do not learn humility, then you have learn nothing at all from watching and understanding sports, and of grasping the true spirit of sports. For without the benevolent spirit of competing and good sportsmanship that fosters humility and uphold the good name of the sport, you have nothing to cheer about, for without an opponent on the other side of the badminton court, what's there to compete for? Think about that. Period. That head ending with the shuttle suffix, watch your language.

#1084 Pakito, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  5. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
    I'm not saying that I want to see a full out smashing game.

Nor am I saying that it's a crap game just because they're not going as "offensive" as they could've.

What I'm saying is...
    Compared to the last 2 major game that we saw, this one is EXTREMELY LACKLUSTER!

How many of you can honestly raise your hand and say game-2 didn't bore you to bits? Or able to convince me that they're trying even 60% in that game?

I've seen those 2 play exhibition, they're peforming, in game 2, as if they don't care!

For good reason, there is no way LCW can catch up from that.

However, good reason or not... The fact remain, it's a very ugly game 2!

I'm the biggest fan of LD's control game, I'm not one of those that cries "LD 2008>ALL", because I very much disagree.

I believe LD and LCW have both surpass that level during the first Korea Premiere Super Series event.

6. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

:D Well Done ... Well Done :D

Today, we have seen every players put their very best efforts during this Finale Day! All match, save for the MD Finale, went through rubber sets ... :)

In the beginning, Chinese WD has, again, shown to us that they are still the champion in this class, and we have yet to see any other pair that could beat YY/WX

Followed by the WS Finale, the Thai’s prodigy, RI, reached her dream to become the World Champion. I saw her strong determination in returning every shot to LXR during today’s game, and such spirit has been very fruitful to her. Many of badminton’s fans greeted RI's victory, as this is new era whereby (1) badminton sports are currently well-developed in countries who hold no tradition in producing champion in the past, and (2) the reigning domination in WS class by CHN for the past decade are now contestable, especially by young talents from Thai, India and Spain.

I am of the opinion that the climax of the day was at the XD Finale, when Ahmad/Natsir defeated Xu/Ma. Their rubber game was very tight, and we saw both pairs were very exhausted, and also physiologically stressed. I was truly excited during the third game when I saw how the Indonesian pair climb each points, and eventually overcame the Chinese today. Perhaps, another point to be considered by PBSI that they would have to develop Ahmad’s physical / stamina endurance. During the critical points in the third game, there were certain moments when we saw how Natsir covered Ahmad in the rear position and smashing repeatedly against the Chinese pair.

Subsequently, the game of MD Finale, and as expected, Ahsan/Setiawan dominating the Danish pair. The first game was perfectly completed in 11 minutes. Though the second game took more than 20 minutes, and there were slight moments of critical deuce points, but the hype was far below the XD Finale. Setiawan’s calmness and experiences has led Ahsan in building his confidence to win this match.

We are looking for an extravagant celebration when these XD and MD champions return to Jakarta. Considering they successfully surpass the target placed by PBSI, i.e., any (1) of either classes should clinch the world championship title.

And finally, we are provided with the long-awaited duel between LD and LCW. This MS game took 93 minutes, and LD earned his 5th world champions title. I truly believe both players earn this title, irrespective whoever win the duel, and however the game was occurred. Though I have to admit that the LD’s strategy has outsmarted LCW game-style. I would never expect that LD would play defensive, considering his performance during the period of 2008 – 2012. Another lesson to be learned that even LD, a living legend, knows how to adapt his game style, and by applying such changes achieved victory against one of his most formidable opponent. It is quite unfortunate for LCW to suffer such injury during the last minutes of the third game.

As regards debates concerning the arena’s condition, another perspective to be considered is = IF the organizer (or any of its subordinates) deliberately turn off the AC, then it would be advisable to also consider how this strategy affect all other games today. All other players (in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th games) would also suffers from such disadvantage condition.

Let’s take a look at the condition of Tontowi Ahmad and Ma Jin during the 3rd games, both players seems to be very exhausted (and stressed). We also saw how the BWF umpire asked Ahsan/Setiawan – Boe/Morgensen to test the shuttles before the MD Finale. Further, if the AC was deliberately turned off, then the CHN also suffered their losses in WS and XD Finale. Why would they apply a strategy for prioritizing 1 MS-title, but suffering losses in 2 other titles?

Closing remarks

I am also surprised to find out that the WS Finale holds the highest rating in Youtube’s streaming.

[h=3]Finals - WS - Ratchanok Intanon vs Li Xuerui [/h]326,451 views

[h=3]Finals - WD - Wang XL./Yu Y. vs Eom H.W./Jang Y.N.[/h]82,949 views

[h=3]Finals - XD - T.Ahmad/L.Natsir vs Xu C./Ma J.[/h]71,774 views

[h=3]Finals - MD - M.Boe/C.Mogensen vs M.Ahsan/H.Setiawan[/h]54,682 views

Finals - MS - Lin Dan vs Lee Chong Wei

7. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

Congratulations to all world champions. This is in fact the most exciting world championship ever with so many different countries contesting in the finals instead of the usual clean sweep by China. This is a very good sign for badminton, we expect more of this exciting contest in future.
    After working non stop for the whole weekend, I finally have time to watch all the games. WD was amazing, YY/WXL is unstoppable, they manage to dig themselves out of trouble and come back strongly in the decider, WXL did amazing with the help from YY to gain her confident back.
    WS is another amazing match. I thought it was an easy one for LXR but RI proves otherwise. Congrats to RI, she totally deserves it! Hope to see more of her in the future.
    XD I would say i'm dissapointed with the result as I was rooting for china to take this, and they had a good chance but screw it up at the end. Kudos to natsir/tontowi for grabbing the opportunity and turn it into a gold medal!
    MD was not interesting imo. It used to be very exciting watching MD but somehow, i think WD is becoming more action packed nowadays. Sorry, not a fan of MD anymore now but congrats to ahsan/setiawan!
    Ok, for MS, which is also the topic of the day.. Bravo to both of them for bringing another valuable exciting match for the fans. Its becoming harder to watch these two badminton greats to play so I do value every chances I have. I felt sorry for chongwei's injury/cramps and also dissapoint that the topic has gone as far as saying China used dirty tactics to help LD win. This totally takes away LD's credit and also made LCW sounds like a sore loser. Both gave all their best yesterday, its sad that LCW's fitness failed him in the end.
    About the air conditioning problem, many blame that China did it to help LD wins. But as a top player, shouldnt you be able to adjust quickly to the environment? Well, in that case, LD did adjust and adapt well as people said that its only during that time they switched it off so if its true, LD had no practice or feel beforehand how the wind would affect his game.So it all depends on how quick a player adapts to it. And for a player who plays in numerous of tournament in different wind condition, he should have an upperhand compare to LD who stays out of competition for so long. So guys, stop blaming the aircond because it will make LCW even worse for not adapting well enough. It all depends on the player's condition on match day and the better one wins.
    I dont think LCW would fake his cramps also as he is not the person who would give up, All England finals was different as he has a bigger picture in mind which is the OG, he wouldnt want to risk it. This is WC, he went all out. The fact that he is one of the fittest player in the world suffers cramps shows that he has really given all out on that day. People should be proud of him, he has alot of burden and imo, he handles it quite well. He deserves a break now and who knows, he might win it next year ;)

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    It's better that LCW retired than the other way round.
    If it was LD who retired, imagine what would LCW's critics say.
    LCW can try again next year. He only want one WC title.
    4 or 5 titles to LD doesn't make much difference to LCW.

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

LCW's official tweeter

lcw.jpg

10. ting_ht

ting_ht Regular Member

I agree that this result will give them a big lift considering Indonesia has such huge supporting base. But hope they do not rest on it because by the time Rio 2016, Hendra Setiawan andLiliyana Natsir will be over 30 (if not already). Can they maintain the current form and last the whole distance given the drama in WC 2013 and the weather in Rio by then?

On the other hand, the Chinese players like ZN/ZYL, CB/WH, QZH/LXL were all born in the 90's (apart from LXL born in 88/89?)

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    it seemed that during the men's doubles and mixed doubles, the two Indonesian pairs are playing at a way higher caliber than before. there was a flick serve to Setiawan and all he did was hop back chasing after the shot and without turning his drove the shuttle toward the tramlines. this is just an example of the Indonesians showcasing their talent, which they had all along i believe. it's just that during this particular tournament, they were spot-on with the application of these talents! both Ahsan and Ahmad seemed to be smashing a lot harder...now it could be that the HD sound quality, but let's give them credit that's due!

12. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    I hope she won't be like xi ji peng

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Li Xue Rui has already achieved more than he has post olympics

14. natXed

natXed Regular Member

RI and her chinese coach Xie Zhi Hua:

1376289176_fZRXwW.jpg

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha. it is Ji Xinpeng.

Xi Jinpeng is the President of China. :)

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Though her coach is Chinese, I thought he spoke Thai to May.
    Maybe he should also coach her in Madarin.
    And May should coach him in Thai.

17. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    1) Zhao Yunlei was born in '86 (gonna be 27 very soon), while Hong Wei is in '89.
    2) INA athletes should worry about weather in Rio? Better tell that to the Europeans.

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i believe pbsi will have their plan ahead for 2016 RIO OG
    unlike bam,hehe

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Till Rio, i don't think all the current players in China would be there to participate in the olympics. There might be chance of new players to emerge. They usually try to make sure atleast 3 particpants in each category to particpate in Olympics(Qualification). Let's see whether it is possible now with all the emerging nations . Ofcourse, we can also see other nations which won't sit idle till Rio Olympics ;).

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the qualification period(2015-2016) is where we can see all the drama
    perhaps with new actor
    drank too much water,toe injury,hair injury,not sleeping well last night;)