2013 Victor Korean Open PSS Finals (January 13)

Discussion in 'Korea / Malaysia Open 2013' started by cobalt, Jan 12, 2013.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

which match? did i missed out something?;) :DThis is where Pm and fb is good at times:p

2. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Send me a PM. It is weird that I do not have any mutual friends with her as I am an umpire myself :(

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Korea Open: A fascinating women’s doubles encounter

Dev Sukumar
    January 14, 2013
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/01/14/korea-open-a-fascinating-womens-doubles-encounter/
    Dev S Sukumar is the recipient of the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Media Award, 2011.
    Excerpts:
    What stands out about Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli is their physical stature. They are broad-shouldered and powerful – their smashes almost carrying the sting of the men. Perhaps the only ones who can match them physically are their teammates Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei, the Olympic champions. Ma Jin and Tang Jinhua are accomplished doubles players, but they were outmatched physically.

It was fascinating to see how they tried to counter the disadvantage. Yu Yang is an imposing presence at the net, while Wang Xiaoli not only hits viciously from the back, she has some deceptive strokes that can catch her opponents out of place. Ma Jin and Tang Jinhua tried to upset the combination – instead of allowing Yu Yang to control the net, they pushed her to the back and started feeding her with the high tosses, taking Wang Xiaoli out of the equation. Yu Yang’s frustration began to mount, and she started making uncharacteristic errors. Both Ma and Tang were superb in defence as they stonewalled the thunderbolts coming from the other side of the court.

The beginning of the match itself was stunning. At 3-1 to Ma/Tang a long rally ensued, and after about a minute I realised something special was on. The rally was going on interminably, and I started to count the strokes – I counted an amazing 115 strokes, despite starting a minute late. The total count would have been 150 or even 180. It is this ability to play any kind of game – full-out defence or attack or flat exchanges – that the Chinese excel at. The match offered a window into the range and craft of doubles – players moving their opponents with delicate and precise strokes; exploring the possibilities of netplay; smashing to different areas. Every top player has ability, but the Chinese perform at an intensity greater than anybody else.

4. axl886

axl886 Regular Member

Just wondering if it's somehow possible that he's a smoker?

5. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    epic finish

that's it! no wonder the dude looks familiar!!!!

touche!

that was a great example of what poor sportsmanship looks like, intimidating the service judge. as Gillian Clark had mentioned, you really have no need to talk to the service judge because the players should already know from the handle signal the reason why it was a fault. if bo/mo had won the game i would have been pissed. they didn't play exceptionally better than ko/lee and i am glad that they focused on smashing at boe a few times to gain their points. as someone had already mentioned, the danes were mental midgets that day, LOL....

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i bet he is hoping he will groom another Gong Zhichao out of her. but unfortunately although they are of similar stature, GZC has more speed, refined skill and can actually muster some pretty lethal offensive shots.

7. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

The problem is she only has 2 offensive shots ... You need more than that to win against the top players.
    I started watching bwf's channel in 2011, so I'm really not sure how she ever got so high in the ranking.

8. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Send me a PM ?

9. nizze

nizze Regular Member

10. limb7567

limb7567 Regular Member

student
    typo typo 123

#330 limb7567, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013