2013 Indian Badminton League (August 14 - 31)

Discussion in '2013 Tournaments' started by chris-ccc, Feb 19, 2013.

1. terranova

terranova Regular Member

First time heard of this. Probably just gossip/rumors/ hearsay. You have to substantiate what you say with the source or a link.
    Obviously, we do not want people posting here that Lin Dan is dead and expect us to believe it blindly. :)

You are right on this point
    http://www.scmp.com/sport/hong-kong/article/1301491/hong-kong-showjumpers-aim-go-better-bronze

2. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Please don't mislead us saying again and again that WWK was playing national games so that he was not injured something like that.

Here i wanna show you the article which says the Badminton association of hongkong informed IBL organisers that WWK could not participate because of injury.

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/oth...laces-wong-wing-in-delhi-smashers_766709.html

EXCERPTS:

The IBL Governing Council approved the request from Krrish Delhi Smashers after Wong Wing`s unfortunate layoff was conveyed to them by the Hong Kong Badminton Association.

Badminton Association of India (BAI) President, Dr Akhilesh Das Gupta, said: "The unexpected injury to Wong Wing Ki has paved the way for another talented shuttler to be a part of the IBL. We welcome Daren Liew to the League and hope he will make his presence felt with his brilliant talent."

Note: It clearly shows that it was informed by badminton association of hongkong about the injury to IBL and IBL organisers has announced it later. Period.

#1102 scorpion1, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  3. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Ha I tried couldn't find nothing that was readable for me but cheers for the info.

4. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Nope I don't know the basic thing. Thanks for the background info, still a bit confused, No mention of this on LD thread. Where you getting this please? So is he entering tournaments as an independent then? I see Dutch open are advertising him as entered.

5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    Do you have your own brain? Why I need to mislead you? and how you can be so easily mislead?

Whether WWK was injured or not, not depend on excuse, it's obvious to see how an injured WWK can won matches continuously before, on and after.

Be smart, don't blame other people mislead you, you should ask yourself are you smart enough to see what's the truth.

6. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
  7. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one

Do you have your own brain?? - Lol.. I am asking the same thing to you.

Go to post no.#1089 (your own post) in that you mentioned something like

"By the way, Hu Yun now is actively playing at the China national games. No sign of injury at all.

Same thing happened to Wong Wing Ki too. IBL reported he's injured but in fact, Wong has be playing at China national games all the week. Winning quite a lot matches there."

What do you mean by it?? Anybody who reads it, will definitely come to a conclusion that IBL was the one who deliberabely reporting some wrong information about WWK or anybody else. Without knowing the facts, don't post something like this blindly. Infact, IBL organisers were told by Badminton association of HongKong about the injury and hence they reported the same. So, what is this??..
    Before talking about somebody's brain, think twice to write something like that.

If you have any serious doubts about his injury, you should have approached Badminton association of Hongkong and should ask them why they said something like that. You can't ask here as nobody in IBL knew what happened there.

#1107 scorpion1, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Badminton Association of India game for women's doubles, review system in 2nd season of IBL[/h]
    http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/...ns-doubles-review-system-in-2nd-season-of-ibl

EXCERPTS:

"Women's doubles is a very important part of world badminton. Like men's category, even women have three formats at the Olympics and team world events. I personally feel we can have women's doubles included but surely this is my personal opinion and not of the IBL's." BAI president Dr Akhilesh Das Gupta has said.

"Such inclusion will depend on whether the format allows or not. And is this a feasible option, that has to be seen," he added.

Das Gupta also said that he favoured bringing in a review system in the next edition of the IBL.

"In all likelihood, there is a possibility of bringing in the review system. There were some controversial decisions, so keeping that in mind we will in all likelihood have decision review system from next year," he said.

"We want families to come out and watch matches and have fun at least for five hours and that was the idea and will work on it to make it more interesting next year."

"May be seeing the time stretch we might work to start little early but nothing concrete has been decided yet. We have to talk to the host broadcaster also. Let's see what best we can come up with," he added.

Nice work to include Women's double category and decision review system. Good work. I have seen in one of the tie ( @bangalore i guess) , they introduced 'Umpire cam' . It was fantastic idea and wonderful. Though the quality of the cam was not that good, i must say that this idea itself needed to be praised. Will they do it for all ties from next year?? :confused:. As a whole, this IBL is successful in all aspects . :)

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I wanna ask you one thing.. What was the price of tickets and All the seats were of same price or any segregation?? Please if you explain it , we will be happy.

In one of magazine, it was mentioned that the finals had seen almost the full capacity of the arena. I mean 12000 spectators. That's why asking this. And also they mentioned that the price of the tickets was slightly high. What was the actual rates . Please can you let us know about it..

10. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    They hiked the price for the finals. I got the premium ticket for 2000Rs. (original price). It was a huge stadium. Newly built. First AC indoor stadium in mumbai, if i recall correctly. I dont know the capacity. The crowd should have been 5000plus. Around 10-15 percent seats were empty. But thousands of people were disappointed as they got the sign 'Sold out' - online as well as at the venue counter. I too used my sources to get the ticket, otherwise it was hard to acquire. Even the relatives of umpires, linesmen couldnt purchase the tickets. The situation could have been worse had mumbai reached the finals. They are ready to pay anything to watch their heroes play live. It was refreshing to see such a huge turnout for badminton. Sanjay Manjrekar was at the venue and said the event was a hit as he saw the stadium fully packed.

11. terranova

terranova Regular Member

http://www.businessworld.in/news/bu...ike-gold-against-all-odds/1060757/page-1.html
    Well looks like next year should better and grander
    -Another 2 teams to make it 8. More matches as it will be home and away format which means more gate collections and more money going to clubs enabling them to turn into profit faster
    -More entertainment with cheer-girls/cheerleaders, aftermatch parties
    -Possible participation of China players
    More countries are starting their own club leagues so hopefully that will in future lead to something like football's Champions League or World Club championship :D

12. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

This can only be possible if a player commits to a franchise/league

Players like Datuk, Khoo/Tan, Schenk are playing in numerous leagues (CBSL, Indonesian Superliga league etc)

I think the gate revenue is a bonus, they have to tackle the problem of wooing ground sponsors and retain/expand their current on-air sponsors (ESPN & Star Sports 2).

They would also have to think of a way to earn fan loyalty. It won't be easy since its a short 3 weeks event. Banga Beats are right in front of the pack in that aspect i think. Pune Pistons hasn't maintain their FB well but i did remember seeing a group of fans wearing their nice black T-shirts while watching the IBL matches. Hotshots should capitalise on their win and the 'Saina' effect to try to sell some of the merchandise.

Came across this video. I hope they do a followup on this topic.

http://profit.ndtv.com/budget/videos/video-ibl-are-advertisers-taking-the-bait-286080

#1112 lzhaol, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  13. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/p5z053BKEsYvrxOEjo88CN/IBL--A-mixed-bag-of-experimentation.html

Its a long article but a few points caught my attention

1. “It looks commercially viable even though we have incurred losses—quite a substantial loss at that,” says Ashish Chadha, CEO, Sporty Solutionz, the promoter of IBL. “But with the kind of response that it has generated in television rating points (TRPs), all investors are keen to continue. We can invest for a year, two maybe, but if the return on investment (ROI) is not delivered, it all goes out of the window. The ROI for the sponsors have already come in. The ROI for the franchises and us will start coming in after the second year. We should break even in the second season.”

2. “For the first year, none of the franchises have taken any revenue share from the central pool. All the money has been invested in the league itself. I’m not saying this because Hyderabad is sitting on the prize money. We all wanted the league to succeed and not just be a one-year wonder.”

3. Experts believe that the poor television ratings :( the league got do not give the complete picture. “The modest ratings tell only one part of the story—the turnout at stadia and the overall social media conversations have been encouraging. Given that this is the first season, all indicators point towards a successful future for the sport, players, sponsors and fans,” says Ajit Gurnani, head, MEC West, an agency involved in media planning, performance marketing and social media management

14. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

i posted this yesterday but it didn't appear

anyway here's the link to the article which provides an insight to IBL

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/p5z053BKEsYvrxOEjo88CN/IBL--A-mixed-bag-of-experimentation.html

Few points that interests me

1. For the first year, none of the franchises have taken any revenue share from the central pool. All the money has been invested in the league itself. I’m not saying this because Hyderabad is sitting on the prize money. We all wanted the league to succeed and not just be a one-year wonder.”

2. Experts believe that the poor television ratings the league got do not give the complete picture

3. "But with the kind of response that it has generated in television rating points (TRPs), all investors are keen to continue. We can invest for a year, two maybe, but if the return on investment (ROI) is not delivered, it all goes out of the window. The ROI for the sponsors have already come in. The ROI for the franchises and us will start coming in after the second year. We should break even in the second season.”

--------------------

so the TV ratings for IBL was low? hopefully they can retain their on air sponsorships

15. sportsfantb

sportsfantb New Member

16. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    [h=1]Jwala Gutta's IBL conduct to be investigated[/h]
    http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/09/05/jwala-guttas-ibl-conduct-to-be-investigated/

EXCERPTS:

The Smashers protested despite the IBL governing council’s go-ahead to the Beats. Only after the hosts decided to leave out O Jorgensen and play Arvind Bhat instead, did Delhi agree to continue.

“BAI’s disciplinary committee headed by S. Muralitharan has been asked to investigate Jwala Gutta’s conduct during the IBL. She has been served a show-cause notice and has been asked to explain her conduct during the incident. She will have to respond to the notice within 14 days,” said a BAI statement Thursday.

“The IBL’s governing council has been asked to appoint a retired High Court judge to investigate the incident during the league match between Krrish Delhi Smashers and Banga Beats on August 25. The start of the match was delayed for half an hour after Delhi Smashers refused to take the court over a replacement player. The governing council will meet in the next few days to finalise the appointment,” added the statement.

17. lzhaol

lzhaol Regular Member

18. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Its normal to lose in the first year if you go strictly on bottomline, but the loses can be considered
    as marketing cost for future successes as overall its a big success and kudos to the brave
    organisors.

19. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I mean I really enjoyed IBL but reading the "Total TV viewers only 21.7m (40m+ for Hockey Indian league)" is surely a worrying sign of it's success factor. How are these figures possible? At least in certain countries Badminton is a popular viewer sport but nowhere in the world is field hockey very popular as a TV sport, but still it had double the viewers?
    Is there something more to that to explain?

20. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    You are missing many a things you know...Hockey has always been able to attract atleast a minimum of audiences in India considering it's the national sport of India while badminton has failed to atleast broadcast some Superseries(I wonder if even all the Super Series are broadcasted last year)...Considering how badminton is new to Indian viewers...I would say it has done quite well...

May be this will give you a better idea..

Badminton and hockey leagues manage to attract viewers

With some corporates like Hero and Vodafone putting some money behind these games and experts marketing have been able to looking up

Cricket might still be the king of games, drawing millions of Indians. But if broadcasters’ advertising revenues and viewership numbers are any indication, other sporting events — especially badminton and hockey — too, are coming of age in the country.

Companies like Hero and Vodafone putting their money in these sporting events and some heavy marketing going into these seem to indicate there’s appetite for these sports.

The recently-concluded Indian Badminton League (IBL) was able to attract as many as 21.7 million viewers on Star Sports during the 18-day tournament (August 14 to 31). And, the Hero Hockey India League (HHIL) recorded a viewership of 41.4 million (January 14 to February 10; in CS4 + all-Indian market). That the two together accounted for a third of the viewership garnered by the Indian Premier League in its sixth edition (about 190 million over two months) could be seen as a decent beginning.

Also, Reliance-IMG is planning to start a similar league for football in India.

The figures for the badminton and hockey leagues seem to look even more attractive if one takes into account the average number of viewers per day. The latter had an average viewership of 1.59 million a day in the 26-day tournament, while the former clocked an average 1.2 million viewership. In comparison, the average viewership of IPL-6 was 3.5 million per day.

In terms of the moolah broadcasters made, according to analysts, the badminton and hockey leagues together saw around Rs 170 crore of revenues rustling. That might be just a fifth of IPL’s earnings but looks quite good, given that the two non-cricket leagues earned their advertising revenues over 44 days, while IPL was a 54-day event.

An official involved in the hockey tournament said: “HIL was telecast in 146 countries. Total viewership was 69.7 million, including 41.4 million for India. Today, one of the biggest marketing tools for reach and measurement is Facebook likes. It was 110,000 for IBL and for 544,000 for the hockey league. On YouTube, IBL had 5,800 subscribers and hockey 34,400.”(Note: IPL has 2.7 million likes on fb and 712,000 subscibers on youtube)

[​IMG]
    Many factors contributed to the relative success of the leagues. These include Indian viewers’ cricket fatigue due to over-exposure to the sport, thrust by broadcasting partners and players’ popularity.

Mona Jain, CEO of VivaKi Exchange, the agency responsible for marketing and communication of the Indian Badminton League, says: “I would say it has been a very encouraging start for IBL. While there was scepticism around the tournament earlier, everyone would agree that the response from the audiences and advertisers has been very good. The ratings for the tournament, above 1.0, say it all.”

A big thrust for IBL came from the popularity of players like Saina Nehwal and P V Sindhu and their appeal among the youth. Though there was a controversy surrounding Jwala Gutta, media planners believe, with badminton players becoming popular among the public, advertisers are getting more confident about putting their money in these events.

In the first year, IBL and HHIL — 2013 was the inaugural year for both — roped in 10 advertisers (including on-ground sponsor Vodafone) and six (including four on-ground sponsors — Airtel, Hero, NTPC and Videocon), respectively.

“The fist year is always low in terms of revenues, as it is the time franchises and all parties involved are pumping in money. Even IPL picked up in the second year. IBL and HHIL may not have made lot of money this year but, going by the response, one can say these properties will only become richer and more popular next year,” says a media planner, asking not to be named.

It is interesting to note that IBL, despite its less reach than that of HHIL, earned higher ad revenues. “Badminton viewership is slightly more skewed towards the SEC A (Socio Economic Classification - A) audience. So, the spend on the property by brands could have been higher. Also, hockey is more male-skewed and doesn’t have a pan-Indian appeal when compared to badminton,” explains a media planner.

Also, ESPN Star Sports, the broadcaster for both the events, should be given due credit, feel media observers. The events got a good showcase because of the broadcaster’s reach and marketing, too, was done well. In the case of IBL, VivaKi Exchange came up with an outdoor campaign featuring top-notch badminton players. This grabbed a lot of eyeballs.

ESPN Software India COO Vijay Rajput says: “India has primarily been a single-sport country. But at STAR Sports, we believe Indian fans would love to consusme other sports as well, if a product is packaged well and presented in an interesting manner. Our main aim is to broadbase consumption of sports in the country. IBL fit in well with our overall strategy of building multi-sport viewership. We see huge potential for a product like IBL, much like we saw value in the Hockey India League.”

Besides, the availability of content in both English and Hindi also helped generate interest in the leagues.

http://www.business-standard.com/ar...t-viewers-and-advertisers-113090700520_1.html

P.S. though I doubt the credibility of how the writer converted and presented the viewers per match....this explains better...