2012 London Olympics Day 4 (Tuesday 31st July)

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Jul 30, 2012.

1. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    Because no one really knows what to do in that situation. So he just reacted, and later regretted it. He probably knew something was up, and he had to do something. But he knows that he can't act too harshly, or it's his butt. Plus he couldn't really prove anything. Why? Just because the crowd didn't like the show, you kill the performers? lol

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

apparently according to our beloved commentator Gail Ermm the umpire/referees been warned by the coaches beforehand that going to happen during meeting prior to the start

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Let's see if Niluka's giant-killing feat continues or ends today.

4. RiverGrande

RiverGrande Regular Member

Student
    But, it's ridiculous. Just like, a refree in football give a red card to the player and after that it's cancelled, then the player that get the red card can playing again :confused:.

5. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

lol? this is just a lame excuse.. if a black card is given it SHALL NEVER be pulled back. even if the decision is wrong maybe. but it should never be allowed to pull such a decision back. from now on each card (yellow, red, black) may be pulled back? this is a joke. and "he knew something was up"? i think the crowd not enjoying the game was not the only indicator for the things which were going on...

yes, true that! this is ridiculous.

6. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    At the end of the day, if the rules that are in placed are meant for abused, then discard them! If don't want to discard them, then enforce with proper actions that are deemed effective, and not 'chicken out'. For once, I have a kind word to say about Kim Jong Il - Enforce the Kim Jong Il way : My way or the highway.

images.jpg

7. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  9. xXazn_romeoXx

It is ridiculous, I agree! If it's given, it shouldn't be held back. But what saw of the events was that it was given by someone who didn't have the authority, then it was given by the tournament referee, but before he could walk off, the coaches saw it, argued and pleaded, and he recinded. It looked to me as if he felt he might have acted too harshly. That's the only way it could have happened. But it never happened in the CHN/KOR match. Warnings were given, same as delay tactics warnings and shouting warnings. But these warnings never resulted in this kind of repremands. The KOR2/INA match was the one with this card issue. IMO, none of them really did anything wrong. But if the BWF wanted to take a stand, they could only really DQ KOR2/INA since they did actually do it already, but taken it back. They can't really let a match finish with warnings, and then all of a sudden, hours later, DQ a pair. I don't believe they have the justification. They made the format, they should have seen this comming. This seems like an abuse of power to me. Play my way, my format, the results that I decide. If that doesn't happen, I ban you. Why doesn't the BWF just decide who gets G S and B then? lol They don't seem happy with the way their format is working out lol

10. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

11. visor

visor Regular Member

He's not the copyright owner. That'd be the IOC. If he uploaded onto YouTube for all countries, his account will be very quickly terminated. ;).

Best if you use Firefox with stealthy addon. ;)

12. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    I do accept the fact that they did not do any wrong, technically... But yes... they have set a very bad example.... Interestingly, I don't think the players wanted to do this... They were only acting on the orders given to them... They were very reluctant... While reading numerous articles on this issue I came across one where the players' behavior during this episode was studied... Apparently among the four (CHN/KOR) players Wang Xiaoli was the most uncomfortable one in trying to lose... It was Yu Yang who was spear heading the act... Yu is the one who has hit more errors among the two. I pity the Koreans who made a very bad decision on a very bad day... they could have just played how they were supposed to and complained to the referee or the BWF... But no... Instead they go for a tit-for-tat and now they paid the price that too a huge one, two teams thrown out... And you know what they all deserved what they have been handed out.... sad but very much deserved...

The BWF also paid a huge price at the expense of this Sport's Image... I hope from now on they grow some balls and get their act together.... And please... no group format... if possible make it one person per country representation at the Olympics... Who are we kidding any ways the cheats will always find loopholes no matter what you do and how stringent you set the rules and format...

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. but all the rules has been laid out by then. it was too late to warn. they should've warned way way before hand.

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I don't agree.. I don't think neither the Indonesians nor Koreans nor the Japaneese girls had team orders.. They just didn't want to face the Chineese girls in the first match of the playoffs.. It's as simple as that.

I really think the Chineese girls had the most moral grounds for "WO:in", as this was the ONLY chance for them to maintain the possibility for their country to get two medals in this WD olympics.

The other team did not have ANY grounds that could be argued morally and from a sportmaship standpoint imop.. the worst I think is the Japaneese girls, that apart from using this tactic to avoid playing the Chineese girls, also destroyed the hopes of medals for the Indian Girls who would have gone trough to the next round if they had not thrown the match against the Taiwan pair.. That is really low from a sportsmasnhip perspective I think.. And those girls even avoided disqualification (only becasue the Tawian girls needed to win and thus didnt stop playin as well, so their acting got a bit easier...)

my 2 c.

/T

#1094 twobeer, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  15. xXazn_romeoXx

I'm definitely with you here. From now one, it's okay to not try. As long as you, a) win the match, if you're higher seed, or lose the match if you're lower seed, b) not try to make it completely obvious.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Obey our Olympians' oath

I think many of our our BCers do not understand the difference in the standard set by BWF and IOC.

BWF: Obey our rules and you shall be OK.

IOC: Obey our Olympians' oath, which is:

"In the name of all the competitors I promise that we shall take part in these Olympic Games, respecting and abiding by the rules which govern them, committing ourselves to a sport without doping and without drugs, in the true spirit of sportsmanship, for the glory of sport and the honor of our teams."

Read carefully and you will know the difference.

I am glad that the umpire knows the difference, although the BWF official didn't.

#1096 chris-ccc, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012