2012 London Olympics BadmintonCentral Get-together..

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by ctjcad, Jun 8, 2012.

1. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Damn, how did you guess:)

2. Boggieeiggob

Boggieeiggob Regular Member

No cameras on me either please! D: I don't want to have myself getting my butt kicked on tape thanks c:

3. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

Hi Everyone, I am just going to put this out there for the Londoners. If my place of residence for the Olympics falls through, please consider allowing my freind and I to bunk at your place. I will pay a minimum of $1000 CDN for the week. I don't expect a problem, but there are always horror stories from Olympics and the reselling of spots.
    Thanks - Frankie Chan

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

My gut feeling is, there will be horror stories of people reselling of spots and yup, even tickets..Happened before, saw it with my own eyes @ 2008 OG (even saw 1 scalper got arrested right there at the spot, right in front of a policeman)..

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Apparently you cant do that...not sure how they stop you though, some kind of security or identity feature?

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Update for playing venues..

OK, here's an update to the playing venue..

Manchester BC get-together :
    Place : Sutton
    Date : July 31st
    Time : 5 or 6 pm til the club mgt. chucks us out..
    *Mark A, please make a reservation if you have time.

London BC get-together :
    Place : Still to be determined. Was planning to play at the same club where 1984AllEngland plays but was told can only reserve 1 court
    Date : Aug. 4th
    Time : either 9-12 am or 2-5 pm
    *Anyone in London can help find and secure a club for the get-together?
    **please see this post as option : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...nCentral-Get-together..?p=1924694#post1924694

7. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    I will be at the MD SF in the AM so could only make the pm if it isn't too far to travel. (London that is)

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

OK, here's another quick update to the playing venue..

Manchester BC get-together :
    Place : Sutton
    Date : July 31st
    Time : 5 or 6 pm til the club mgt. chucks us out..
    *Mark A, please make a reservation if you have time.

London BC get-together :
    Place : Still to be determined. Was planning to play at the same club where 1984AllEngland plays but was told can only reserve 1 court
    Date : Aug. 4th
    Time : Since there are still matches and possibility of people going to watch, we will book for a late afternoon/early evening get-together instead. Possibly around 5 pm.
    *Anyone in London can help find and secure a club for the get-together?
    **please see this post as option : http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...nCentral-Get-together..?p=1924694#post1924694[/QUOTE]

Benwilluk, will you be willing to help out in reserving courts for a late afternoon session? If you already have a regular place to play, we can use that as well.Thx.

9. Benwilluk

Benwilluk Regular Member

Marketing
    LOL - I live about an hour north east of London so you definitely would not want to all travel up here to play.

2-5 would be a decent time without having too late a finish. as for courts in london i wouldn't really know where to start.

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    There are plenty of places to play in the North London area where I live, but in most cases you need to be a member to be able to book courts in advance. I will need to ask around to see if anyone has an annual membership card. Let me know how many people, courts, rough cost per person and I'll try and find out. Can't promise anything though!

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

R20190, yes, please do your best in finding a place to play for the London based get-together as long as it's in and around London.>or you can see link to the post a few pages back for list of places to play.
    So far, i've received another info that we can book a hall with 4 courts for 3 hrs for £100 (incl. shuttles).
    For now, let's reserve for afternoon to late afternoon session just to accommodate those who are watching the morning matches that day.

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I'll make some enquiries. But how many numbers confirmed/unconfirmed do we have or do we anticipate?

So just to recap, Sat 4 Aug 2012 from about 5pm. 4 courts for 3 hrs, around £100 with shuttles.

Also, if I manage to get someone to book, they'd obviously want to know how they would get their money back - if, in the event that there is a low turn out and not enough people... ?

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Appreciate the help, R20190!
    Yes, please go ahead with a reservation either between 4-5 pm for 3 hrs (originally we were thinking from 2 pm til 5 pm but looking to start later; we'll keep the 2pm to 5 pm slot as backup)....4 courts should be enough...We don't know how many people are confirmed to come but i feel there will be quite a bit of turnout esp. once the confirmation is passed around..worse comes to worst, if not enough people show up, we'll play some singles;)
    As for having someone to book, don't worry, it'll be covered & that person will get money back in case.:cool:
    Thanks!

#93 ctjcad, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  14. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

If you want I could help out, I know my way around London well, used to take my friends and relatives around when I was like 12...

15. drew tze en

xie xie
    Thanks for saying that, it makes me feel more confident. As I am a bit conscience as I'm 15 but turning 16 this year :)
    I could offer my services...

16. Fu-Tu

Fu-Tu Regular Member

I would've liked to come to a meet-up to play some badminton with you guys, but I'm afraid my Olympic schedule is just too busy :(
    I have 2-3 sports sessions every day so won't make it to any badminton court....If I had known it before, I would've made sure I was in Londen some days before & after the olympics as well!

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

drew tze en, we welcome your help and volunteering as well..
    Would you also be willing to help in reserving a baddy hall for the BC get-together on Aug. 4th? just looking for back-ups and options. thanks!

18. drew tze en

sure.
    I think I know about another place, the sportsdock

19. drew tze en

I think this maybe perfect! I'm not sure if they are open during the 4th August as the centre is being used as a training centre for the olympics. I think this centre is good because there are 20 courts!!! 20!!
    I have been there to play a competition and it is east London near London City Airport.
    http://www.uel.ac.uk/sportsdock/badminton.htm

20. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    No mate, you really don't want to be anywhere near London Excel during the Olympics (unless you're a spectator). London Excel will be holding more sporting events than any other venue, 7 sports if I remember correctly!!