2012 All England SSP: Sat 10-Mar Semi-Finals matches

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2012' started by chris-ccc, Mar 9, 2012.

1. hardiy

hardiy New Member

Employee
    Dear Badminton, need your advice, where is to get video Final day i'm very interesting to download it

2. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

Methinks you're reading too much into that red card. :)

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    BWF representatives from Asian countries are not doing their jobs?

BWF is like the United Nations. It is made up of many official/committee representatives from the East (as well as from the West).

Players and spectators need their national representatives to voice their concerns.

If what you have implied is true (which I disagree :p:p:p), then we could conclude that representatives from Asian countries are not doing their jobs; not ensuring that their Asian players get a 'FAIR GO' in our sport.

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Didn't see the match but your little story is quite the fairytale :D. There are other sports outside of badminton you know where the west is dominant and I can't think of any country that behaves like China on a systematic basis to manipulate rankings and seedings. There are also many other sports where quota per country are installed for the Olympics like athletics and swimming which is why we get to see many athlete from places you've never heard of. Badminton is a puny tiny minority sport in the west and get's practically zero coverage in the newspapers to begin with, not even in Denmark and if any at all it's only about their own players. If anything BWF was foolish to allow 3 entries for top 4 positions. Had they simply said 2 max per country we wouldn't be in this mess ...

#464 demolidor, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Western Newspaper Mafia working it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I can't think of an individual sport which is run on a national funding basis as badminton is. Most western sports are commercially viable and therefore "every man for themselves" rather than "for the greater good"

The only way it can change is by the sport being commercially viable so more individualistic.

With respect to Asian bwf members not doing there job.....surely they must be doing a pretty good job because other nations , eg Europeans, would minimise the numbers to 2 per country max.

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

If you don't want to consider "lottery funding" national funding than I'm sure you can scratch a lot of sports of the list yeah ;). I think the majority of minority sports are government funded through their NOC in one way or another (in Europe). UK athletics certainly is not commercially viable on a whole (nor is swimming, diving, judo, taekwondo, amateur boxing, etc. etc.)
    But their policies are not determined by their NOCs and given a certain qualifying standard it is indeed every (wo)man for themselves.
    Is not GB Track Cycling also a perfect example of a nationalized training group? (individuals training together at a national training centre and funded by the "government")

"Great Britain Cycling Team & World Class Performance Programmes British Cycling's Cycling World Class Performance Programmes are funded by UK Sport and the National Lottery, who support Olympic and Paralympic sports. British Cycling employs Olympic Coaches and supports elite cyclists across Track, Road, Mountain Bike and BMX, with the express aim of winning medals at World Championship and Olympic events. There are also age-group development programmes to spot and develop young talented riders. The GB Cycling Team has developed into a world-leading force since the advent of Lottery funding in 1998."

#467 demolidor, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Just a quick comparison around seems to tell me badminton is about the only sport where individual ranking rather than country/team performance/ranking directly determines number of spots for a country. I mean for swimming it is simple: 2 per country per event (I assume combined with a certain time achieved (edit: indeed), 900 total!). Judo: 1 per country per weightclass, top 22 qualify of the cleaned up ranking list (154 men, 98 women). In addition each continent has some spots to distribute for countries that didn't make the top 22 in a certain weight class outright (still a maximum of 1 athlete per country per weight class either directly or through the extra spots). In total 386 spots.

Badminton: 164-172 spots total. A comparison with tennis is actually interesting here since they have been granted more or less the same number of spots (168) and have chosen to limit it to 4 athletes per country versus 9 for badminton. And no extra spots for ranking this and this high either ...

Let me slip these two articles in as well "worth" reading (feel free to move):

9. laonong

laonong Regular Member

there are just no good day for so many years.

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Cycling has team tactics in individual events too......

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

#471 Justin L, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012