2012 All England Premier Super Series - Memories

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2012' started by abedeng, Mar 10, 2012.

1. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Not a bad pair in looks, skills or both?

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Not in uk.............

3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Quarterfinals Day - The End of the British Challenge

Team GB banked their hopes on their upcoming mixed doubles World Championship Runners-up pairing of Chris Adcock and Imogen Bankier, as well as the semi-ancient Nathan Robertson and Jenny Wallwork.

Adcock and Bankier had recently turned the tables on their conquerors, Zhang Nan and Zhao Yunlei in the first round, which partly contributed to the extended opening round day of action to 3 am the next day.

Against them were the Malaysian pair still recovering from back injury and permanent service problems, Goh Liu Ying and Chan Peng Soon.

Robertson and Wallwork, meanwhile, looked confident and mean against Indonesia's Liliyana Natsir and Tontowi Ahmad.

The prim and proper British crowd transformed their, err, stiff upper leap persona, and came closest to upstaging the smaller Malaysian and Indonesian contingents during this phase of the competition. Thus the two rival cheerleading teams with more than 60 years of "hostile cheerleading history" brokered truce for the day and were able push their pairs to drive Team GB away.

Ah, the things we do to set up an Indonesia vs Malaysia showdown.

Pics here:
    Adcock/Bankier vs Chan/Goh

Q-finals MASXD1.jpg If you dare lose, I will whack you! Q-finals MASXD2.jpg Adcock loose serve Q-finals MASXD3.jpg Arching his back to maintain the attack Q-finals MASXD5.jpg Chan Peng Soon flying high Q-finals MASXD4.jpg Goh Liu Ying drives a winner

Robertson/Wallwork vs Ahmad/Natsir Q-finals INAXD1.jpg Shapely Wallwork posing to receive serve Q-finals INAXD2.jpg What goes up ...... Q-finals INAXD3.jpg ..... must be assisted up Q-finals INAXD4.jpg INA pair, keeping the shuttle low Q-finals INAXD5.jpg A focused Liliyana Natsir, preparing to pounce

#23 abedeng, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  4. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Here are more close up pics of the Olympic Park. Just don't go there to watch the badminton competition in August .......

Olympic Park Monument.jpg Monument at the Centre of Westfield Stratford Olympic Site Office.jpg Nice graffiti walls hide the Olympic Construction Site Office Olympic Park 11.jpg
    Wonder how it would look like at night with glowing flames? Olympic Park 12.jpg The Olympic Complex comes with planned rail links Olympic Park 13.jpg Olympic Park 14.jpg But there is still lots to do on the landscaping end London 2012.jpg London 2012B.jpg These creatures implore you to help donate to a lost, err, I mean overblown budget cause. And help avoid another Greek tragedy.

#24 abedeng, Mar 13, 2012
  5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Next, we graduate to the situation within the National Indoor Arena. Not much different from before, just more of the same Yonex booths, food and beverage area, etc. Pics here: NIA Citroen1.jpg NIA Citroen2.jpg Citroen, vehicle sponsorship partner of Badminton England. And you get to be Sebastian Loeb in simulator NIA Avenue.jpg Avenue of Champions - roll back the years when Peter Gade won the title at a very young age of 22 NIA BadmintonMuseum.jpg The history of badminton - told in pictorial form by Anthony Clark and Donna Kellogg NIA Nostrings.jpg No strings badminton booth - try to serve to the holes. NIA BadmintonEngland.jpg Badminton England booth NIA Stringing.jpg Stringing team at work NIA Souvenir2.jpg NIA Souvenir1.jpg Yonex official souvenir T-shirts for this year's event NIA Racquet.jpg I bet Yonex didn't tell him about the, ahem, side effects of stiff shoulder and pain in the underarm. NIA Jewelry.jpg Really?! What can an athlete gain wearing jewelry to contest in this event?

#25 abedeng, Mar 13, 2012
  6. johnv

johnv Regular Member

IT
    Excellent thread Abedeng! Thanks so much for relating your experiences and images.
    Ever think of being a sports writer?
    Hmm sports-travel a whole industry in itself.

7. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    And Now .... to Semifinals Action

Again, not that many pictures of the action. But here are the more interesting ones to me .....

First - Lee Hyun Il vs Lee Chong Wei

By this time, it was said that LCW was already feeling some pain. Having said that, he still had too much in reserve for LHI. Despite a late challenge from the Korean, the match was actually not as close that the scoreline suggested.
    LHI1.jpg LHI2.jpg LHI3.jpg

Next - Li Xuerui vs Tai Tzu Ying

It was a match full of suspense. Li Xuerui was full of grace, personified by her, ahem, BWF-approved playing attire. Whereas Tai Tzu Ying was more like a cat, pouncing left and right and clawing all the energy-sapping moves, including English Premier League goalkeeping dive saves. Pretty much like our resident BC Cat when playing BC Super Series tournaments ........

In the end, the cat was expertly bagged by Xuerui's graceful moves - creating an All-England Record of 14 unanswered points from 6-9 to 20-9.
    LXR1.jpg LXR2.jpg LXR3.jpg

Next : MD Denmark vs Korea

The haggard looks of the defending champions did not inspire confidence. Unlike their clean shaven selves of 1 year ago, this time they looked like they just got out of bed to play. Easily put to pasture by the fit and fast Koreans.
    Semis Danes2.jpg Semis Danes1.jpg

Next: Lin Dan vs Kenichi Tago

Really, LD was just toying with Tago. Like what LCW did to Tago back in January. Yup, the rest of the other players are still mere mortals compared to LD and LCW.
    Semis LD1.jpg Semis LD2.jpg Semis LD3.jpg Semis LD4.jpg Semis LD5.jpg Semis LD6.jpg

Finally : The Battle Royale of the day - INA XD vs MAS XD

A fitting battle if it were the final itself. Younger and less experienced Malaysians gave it their all, and the first game alone needed a total of 8 gamepoints before closure after 30 minutes. But the World Championship pedigree of Liliyana Natsir stood tall.

If not for the service issues of Chan Peng Soon though, Malaysia could have at least bagged game 1. Nonetheless, the Indonesians were the better pair and deserving winners.

P/S : Malaysian and Indonesian supporting camps had a very good time "fighting" each other in this match.
    Semis XD1.jpg Semis XD2.jpg Semis XD3.jpg Semis XD4.jpg

Future Stars: CHN pair Huan Xia and Tang Jinhua

Here's a peek of the future Chinese stars. Lasted less than 30 minutes against the current World Champs. Good looking girls too .......
    Semis YoungCHN2.jpg Semis YoungCHN1.jpg

#27 abedeng, Mar 13, 2012
  8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Seriously, I could do the job, but I don't think I would make as much as I do now ..... without compromising family life.

Besides, it will become a job, rather than just sharing experiences without obligations. In which case I shall have to charge BC - which would be a shame ....... wakakakaka.

9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Birmingham By Day .....

Enough of Badminton for the time being, let's see what the City of Birmingham has to offer.

Technically, the whole City Centre area is within walking distance from one end to the other. Good for maintaining your budget and fitness levels, not good enough fitness to beat the lowest ranked All-England participant ......

Here are some pictures of the City in the day:

BHM Baskerville.jpg
    Baskerville House, Broad Street

BHM Bugis.jpg
    One of my favourite food joints, Bugis Street Brasserie, within the Copthorne Hotel

BHM CHN.jpg
    Where these defeated members of the Chinese Men's Singles squad stayed in

BHM Chamberlain.jpg
    The Museum at Chamberlain Square

BHM Vic1.jpg BHM Vic2.jpg
    This is Victoria Square - just beside Chamberlain Square

BHM Clock.jpg
    Ancient Clock, still works

BHM Entertainment.jpg
    Where cheap entertainment is still available

BHM New Street.jpg
    The Birmingham New Street Rail Station, just below the Pallasades Shopping Centre

BHM Rotunda1.jpg
    If you want to stay cool, there's no better place than to stay cool at The Rotunda. Let's not discuss the price, though ........

BHM Rotunda2.jpg
    And look, The Rotunda has it's own Bull!

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    More Birmingham Pix:

BHM NIA.jpg
    The NIA at night

BHM Symphony1.jpg
    Inside the Birmingham ICC

BHM Symphony2.jpg
    Which also houses the Symphony Hall

BHM Room.jpg
    View of Birmingham from my room

BHM War.jpg
    The War Memorial

BHM_TLight.jpg
    I have no idea what this, err, traffic light is for ......

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Finals Day .....

Now it's time to show the experience of the Finals Day. A day where an outnumbered Indonesian crowd got the better of the bigger Danish opposition.

Also a day where Lin Dan gets a hug from a another girl ....... hope Mrs Lin Dan at home doesn't get too jealous ..... :D

Here goes:

Finals Entrance.jpg
    Sizeable crowd at the main entrance of the NIA

Finals Crowd.jpg
    Stadium was packed - better attendance records than last year. Mainly Chinese (below) and Malaysian (above) supporters.

Finals Best Seats.jpg
    The best seats of the house made a reappearance

Finals Citroen DS3.jpg
    Citroen DS3 shares in the limelight

Finals Trophy.jpg
    These were what they were fighting for

Finals WS1.jpg Finals WS2.jpg
    Women's Singles winners, Li Xuerui and Wang Yihan

Finals INA Cheerleader.jpg
    This Indonesian Cheerleader ........

Finals Danish Support.jpg
    ...... spelt the downfall of Danish support

Finals XD Interview.jpg
    And thus the Indonesians are on top once again .......

Finals XD1.jpg Finals XD2.jpg
    ...... and proudly hoist their trophies aloft

Finals MD Celebrate.jpg
    But the day actually belonged to the Koreans ......

Finals JJS.jpg
    ..... and a generous Jung Jae Sung threw his racquet at the crowd ......

Finals MD Interview.jpg
    ...... while Lee Yong Dae shows off his PR skills.......

Finals MD1.jpg Finals MD2.jpg
    ...... before receiving their winners trophies.

#31 abedeng, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Hugs and Kisses - for the Men's Singles Winner, and a Shower for Both Players

Err, not too sure about the kisses part, but the lady was surely very happy with Lin Dan's victory.

An unfortunate shoulder injury stopped the battle between the two titans before conclusion. Nonetheless, both sets of fans applauded both players for great sportsmanship and civic duty (aka at least playing one game instead of just quitting).

Here are the pictures:

Finals LCW Treatment.jpg
    The defending champion gets treatment, and finally threw the towel .....

Finals MS1.jpg
    ..... and the two gladiators step onto the podium.

Finals MS2.jpg
    LCW accepts his consolation prize ......

Finals LD Hug.jpg
    ...... while LD gets a bonus hug ......

Finals MS3.jpg Finals MS4.jpg
    .... before taking over the trophy

Finals Shower1.jpg Finals Shower2.jpg
    And now, for a shower!

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Of course i have tried them. 70% cheaper than hotel prices. :)

14. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Wow!

Good job Abedeng. It's like you brought me to Birmingham to watch with you. It would be nice to show your pic also. :)

15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    What is shown is only a smattering of the experience. People don't actually realize what they are missing when they are not there. Sure there is live telecast, but it doesn't capture even 50 per cent of what happened.

The crowds in Europe have graduated into more excitable ones like in Asia. Case in point, notice how much noise they make when the GB Mixed Doubles pairs fought tooth and nail against the Malaysians and Indonesians respectively.

Previously, and up to the 90s at least, the crowds were more robotic (like in tennis), applauding only during a break in the game. And then, silence. Badminton needs passionate crowds, it is one of the differentiators between it and other racquet sports.

To find my pic, you gotta visit the older threads circa 2007 - 2011. I tend not to get myself photographed during events.

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Things to do ..... at the Birmingham Canals

Birmingham's history has a lot to do with the Canals. And so, before we leave this great City, let us explore the various activities related to the Canal. You would be surprised as to how the Canal has graduated from being the source of water supply and transportation, to the source of enjoyment for the locals and visitors alike.

Although I must say, the general cleanliness of the Canals is, err, somewhat lacking .........

So, what can we do at the not-so-clean Birmingham Canals?

Canal1.jpg
    Well, we could take a boat ride ......

Canal Boat.jpg
    .... and good looking boats they are too.

Canal Narrow.jpg
    Of course, the boats must be narrow enough to pass through restricted spaces ....

Canal Hyatt.jpg Canal Hyatt2.jpg
    ..... or we could just walk along the canal, here are some views of the Hyatt from the Canal

Canal Brindleyplace.jpg
    How about a drink at a bar in BrindleyPlace? Not for me, of course, I don't drink .....

Canal Restaurant1.jpg Canal Restaurant2.jpg
    ...... instead, I went to this restaurant for food .....

Canal View.jpg
    ..... a restaurant with a good view, I might add .....

Canal Canoe.jpg
    ..... where you can see girls on canoes while enjoying your food .....

Canal Fishing.jpg
    .... and finally, do a spot of fishing!

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Emirates ..... and Layover in Dubai

As I get, err, aged, there is less tolerance to direct flights above 10 hours, as I shuttle back and forth from East to West and back.

Enter Emirates, the Dubai based airline with one of the newest aircraft fleets in the world.

With the Emirates main hub strategically located exactly at midpoint between South East Asia and Europe, it is just the right tonic for the reduced tolerance long distance passenger ..... The fact that it has the biggest Airbus A380 fleets in the world is a bonus - trust me, once you are in the A380, all other planes are inadequate.

During the layover in Dubai on the way to London, there was an exhibition of the history of Dubai Aviation, with Dubai Airport now probably the most congested airport in the world during peak hours.

Pictures of the exhibition:

Dubai 50years.jpg
    50 years of Aviation in Dubai - in partnership with BP

Dubai History1.jpg
    How it all started .......

Dubai Airport Old.jpg Dubai Airport Old2.jpg
    ..... with this old Airport ..... must have been an unhospitable place then ....

Dubai Camel.jpg
    ..... because this camel died ........

Dubai History2.jpg
    ..... but now it has undergone rapid modernization ....

Dubai Ambition.jpg
    ...... in order to meet future traffic growth demands.

18. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The Emirates Lounge

What I love most about this place is the free lounge. All First Class, Business Class, Skywards Gold and Silver members can have complementary use of the two lounges. First Class has a separate lounge of its own, the rest share another lounge.

Pics here:

Emirates Checkin.jpg
    Passengers checking in at the Emirates Business Class Lounge

Emirates Rolex.jpg
    Accurate timekeeping, courtesy of Rolex

Emirates PS3.jpg
    Here, you can play games on the PS3 ....

Emirates Food2.jpg Emirates Food.jpg
    ...... indulge in good food .......

Emirates Schedule.jpg Emirates Schedule2.jpg
    .... without worrying if you will miss your flight

Emirates Wifi.jpg
    And free Internet access comes with printing facilities - great!!!