2011 World Championships Finals: Sunday 14-Aug

Discussion in 'World Championships 2011' started by chris-ccc, Aug 13, 2011.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

He might not have expected to win, but he went out believing he could win, and therefore was in the right mindset for the match. The LCW match was one to far for someone who played 80mins 13hrs before. And already having a very tough match previously (especially when up against someone who had easy matches previously and is known for his stamina and endurance)

What I am saying is, if you enter a tournament you should at least be thinking you have a chance of winning a match, otherwise you're at the wrong level. If you feel it's too easy, then you are playing tournaments that are too easy, and you need to step up.

And if you are Lin Dan, then you need to give others the chance. He is too good for all tournaments if he plays his best. After all 4 WC and 1 OG doesn't lie. Not by chance can you do this well.:) I think that when Lee had his match points he didn't have the inner belief to think he could convert them, instead believing that Lin Dan would claw it back. And thats what happened...

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

are you writing him off ? With the right training and financial support he had the ability and the skill to go a long way...

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

He doesn't have enough of a track record to be branded a Kenichi Tago. Also look at the resources available to Cordon v Tago. Cordon's done very well already with the limited resources available to him. Tago, Japan's golden boy, has been given chance after chance but has not grasped it.

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Did I stumble into Utopia this week? ;)

5. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Nope, just a fantasy land with white puffy clouds, rainbows, fairies and unicorns :cool:

6. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Ok, a short comparison between Cordon and Tago.

Kenichi Tago: His mother was a badminton player, so brought up in a badminton loving family :) born in Japan, a country where Badminton is a very popular sport. Has access to some of the best facilities and coaching available from a young age. Access to some of the best sparring partners available, and playing in the Japanese league with many players who are capable of holding there own against the best players. As part of the Japanese set up, he has access to great coaches and facilities as well as funding and support.

Kevin Cordon: brought up in a family where badminton is practically unheard of. In Guatemala badminton isn't a mainstream sport and he had to travel a long distance to get to his nearest courts. No real sparring partners, and no competitive league. Hardly any funding or support and is expected to fund himself really and find sparring and training facilities. Moving to Spain to train has really helped though. Maybe KLRC could progress him even further (if he wished) or just stay in Spain and train there. I suppose it's more familiar as they speak the same language;)

7. miss.boon

miss.boon Regular Member

this is very interesting. LD has admitted on record that it won't do the sport good if he keeps on dominating.
    it explains the way he played and set up the cliff-hanger finish with lcw.
    LD achieved this and the fans were thrilled.
    perhaps this is how the greatest badminton player of all time stays motivated.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Hope to witness another epic match between LCW and LD

The other LCW-vs-LD long epic match that I remember is the Finals at the 2010 Japan Open. It was a 80 minute match, when LCW defeated him 22-20, 16-21, 21-17.

Hope to witness another epic match when these 2 players meet again at their next encounter (at the 2011 Japan Open).
    :):):)

9. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    They called me uncle, I should addressed you as Auntie Boon....I just got back home after a badminton game and read your post, that is a good one, I laughed so hard it is not even funny, it ache....ROFLOL:D:p

10. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Another one was the epic thriller of Asian Games 2010 Mens Individual Final, where amazing logn painful but exciting rallies were exchanged, huge smashes unleashed and blocked, beautiful netplay, fast flat driving exchanges and not mention out of this world returns that seemed impossible.

It was a crazy match until the third set where LD turboed into a 11-1 lead on the favourable side of the court, but credit goes to LCW who made another 9 or 10 points after although if his start would've been better it could have been closer. A truly outstanding match that was...

And it was a good response from LD after being beaten by LCW in the Japan Open 2010.

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

What an arrogant lie!

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

With skills and stamina like Cordon, he will have a chance against Chen Long. The reason is simple. CL would have exclusively rote trained for LCW. He wouldn't know about KC or have prepared for him. CL was taking 101 exam on KC impromptu! Even then, CL was not bad. He failed at the last hurdle. Was that luck for KC? Or wait a minute, CL was mentally weaker than KC? A non-CHN MS mentally superior to CHN MS? Impossible! Must be luck!

13. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

Welcome to planet Utopia. Green elephants in capes, purple mice in roller blades, blue monkeys juggling monkey wrench...etc.,:D

14. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

As good as LD is (and I'm a fan) but really? Can he do that really (Of course he can do that against enthusiasts but with LCW across the net?)?:) In the jaws of near defeat?:confused: There could have been a bad net tumble and there goes the title!

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Also not to forget to include 'BCers with astonishing ideas'. :D:D:D

16. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

Nicely said but I can't help but notice the blued phrase is a tad targeted?:D

17. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Are you talking about winning a match (as in the 1st round) or the whole event? They are totally different ball-games.

And why can't I participate just for the sake of participating? I may know I can't win but that does not mean that I will lack the spirit to fight. In almost all top-class events, you need to qualify just to be participating. That means you need to surpass a minimum quality, so just qualifying for an event can be achievement enough. The spirit of participation does not mean being happy to lose. If means you strive for every single point even if you (expectedly) end up losing. If you happen to end up winning, then you get to strive for another day.

There are tonnes of Olympians who are there just to make up the numbers, but that does not mean they will be lackadaisal about it. Look at the game faces of those participating (and end up losing) in the heats. They may suck relative to the top champion, but they take it seriously.

#717 hcyong, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  18. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Off Topic

Sorry I'm off topic here. Have always wondered why your username is miss.boon while you're a male. Then i got to thinking a little. Oh yea, you mean Misbun.... damn... what a misleading first impression. Ha! Oops i could be wrong.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Have always wondered why your username is miss.boon while you're a male

:D:D:D These 2 posts would answer your question; for I had asked and he had answered;

20. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Btw Chris, I think the sky would fall down had there been a female in this forum (not those moronic critics) that is as badminton gila like us. Miss.boon is a letdown.