2011 Super Series Finals: Day 5 (Finals Day) - Sun 18 Dec

Discussion in 'Super Series Final 2011' started by chris-ccc, Dec 17, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Most probably do it as a kind of reflex; kind-of "in the heat of the moment." :D They may not have actually trained intensively for such a situation because it does not occur often in a match. But it may also depend on the player's style: if he is a touch player and dominates the net, he will train for this because he knows the opposite player will try to attack.

Take a look at these 2 cases, in the same match (SS Finals, round 2); they tell the story of how a player prepare for the net-kill. I notice that Taufik almost always steps back to the service line, giving himself the option to lunge for a weak net return, or to counter a weak net-kill. He has done this time and again in many, many matches. Obviously he has trained for this, as an extension of his net-play.

[video=youtube;FeJtraQfIdE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeJtraQfIdE&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;QVf55q7Xuk8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVf55q7Xuk8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I hope one of these days an umpire will surprise us with a different decision in favour of a situation like SN's so that players will not conclude that it is an automatic fault. Visor has given us a credible reason that SN should not be faulted had she stood about a foot further away. It helps the umpire to see the whole incident better.

3. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

lol.. as for me, I will just squad down and let my opponent to kill it. Haha... Just hoping my opponent kill it under the net. lol :D So, now everything is clear. eh? :D

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Got influenced by volleyball players

Or, they have been watching much volleyball games (where such blocking is permitted), and have got influenced by volleyball players. :D:D:D

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Only if SN is more than 2 feet away from the net.

Loh, the next time when I meet you I shall show you how easily a racket-head can go 2 feet horizontally over the net into the opponent's space.

In a match, if the umpire doesn't fault my opponent holding up his racket near the net (trying to block my stroke as described in previous posts), I would request for the umpire to see a demonstration of my follow-through; to convince him that my racket will clash with my opponent's racket.

Note: In the post before this, I mentioned that it's permitted to block in the game of volleyball (like SN and LD did); This is because a follow-through of the hand of a volleyball striker hardly get to follow-through more than 3 inches over the high volleyball net-tape.

#405 chris-ccc, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011