2011 Japan Open SS: Day 5 (Semi-Finals) Sat 24-September

Discussion in 'Japan Open / Indonesia GP Gold 2011' started by chris-ccc, Sep 23, 2011.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yesterday?? Didn't see it, nor today. Heard some mumbling by GC about waking up but didn't see the footage. Thought she said he was telling it to himself ...
    If you give your best out there, you could at least expect the officiating to do so as well ;)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    badminton need stars. we need someone we want to see.

examples of stars are LD, LCW, PG, TH, CY, FHF, LYD.

there are other stars too. but being one of the strongest badminton country, China do have more stars than others.

badminton will be in trouble anyway, actually. after 2012, most of the current set of stars are due to retire. that happens in every olympic but 2012 seems to be the worst as there are very few promising stars are forming at the moment.

3. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Yeah, I remember him berating the umpire with his "Wake up" blast. PG tends to go off the rails once in a while when he's losing. Also noticed this time at the handshake, he was quite cold towards LCW (not normally the case) so I suspect he was not in the best of moods yesterday.

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

What channel are you watching that you get those games with sound?? I don't even see her scheduled for a BWIN court?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the sportslemon broadcast has an unfiltered microphone very close to the court. it reveals all conversations of the players, as well as very clear sounds of all the hits and also feet movement against the ground. quite nice, actually.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it was the QF match between the Danes and the Hong Kong girls.

Rytter Juhl for whatever reason, cursed the umpire during the match. and then she didn't have enough and went and did it again after the match ended.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    BWF will do nothing about it. probably don't even know about it. where as in Tennis, miniscule as it was, they did fine Serena Williams for hers.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    all these are small compared to LD's infamous outburst in Korea. but none-the-less, if nothing is done about them, it is sending the players the wrong message.

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Ah yes Court 3 is the second court. As for Gade, just found the moment :D. A: he was right, B: it is nothing remotely like a Serena tirade. The guy on the chair was watching him not LCW as he should be ... or so it looks in this LQ vid, that seems to be an ear (his left, meaning his head is turned towards Gade at serve) [​IMG]

#669 demolidor, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Maybe Uncle Peter was pissed off that he lost, knowing that waiting in the final is CL and he had a better chance than against LD.

11. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

The Federation probably is powerless within the current rules that it sets.

Countries can use the current system to its fullest limit, all legal and above board.

Contrary to what the federation says, or countries say, if this is what is presented to the spectators, or by telly to worldwide audience, the spectators and other audience is better off not spending their time, money and all other resources on such blatant misuse.

However, the spectators and fans are not bound by the rules set by any of the federation or nation. They have more power than any of these federation or nation. It is simple matter to boycott such matches, or tournaments.

12. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    i couldn't believe he actually shouted at the umpire to "wake up!" twice! it was pretty embarrassing to resort to such an outburst and behaviour just because he can't find a solution to deal with his opponent. Peter can be quite cocky and a bad loser at times particularly when he has high confidence going into a tournament or match. the umpire should have yellow-carded him immediately to slap him with a fine but instead was stunned and didn't do a single thing.

13. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Are you guys sure? He was shouting at himself for missing a simple shot.

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Oh I will agree the reason for the so called "outburst" (I've heard faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar worse than this, this is absolute peanuts) was more frustration and letting off steam than the particular call. Imo it had nothing to do with dissent towards the umpire and the umpire as they say in soccer "felt the flow of the game" unlike the particular one at the Swiss Open.
    But it cannot be denied LCW was in motion before the shuttle was struck and it "should" have been called ... if he hadn't dozed off and all ;). Nothing wrong with challenging calls every now and then, keeps everyone/them on their toes ... VIDEO REPLAY NOW :p!

#674 demolidor, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

*I'm already sucking, why does the ref suck as well?!?* C'mon! Wake up! ... (wake up) ... [umpire was doing just fine overall btw, not much there had to be done anyway]

Actually replaying it again from further back, you could consider it a "crucial" moment in PG's mind after staging a little comeback (back to 15-11 down) only to have the momentum taken away again. A little hint of dissent in it after all but as with many so called "winners" they are so competitive a little nastyness does tend to surface every once in a while ... Maybe things are looking up for LCW ;).
    I don't know what the point of a yellow card would be anyway, it is only a fine after the third :p

"The first game opened up with Lee Chong Wei speeding up the game and surging ahead to 9-1. With the crowd applauding every point the veteran Dane got, Peter came within 4 points at 11-15 but the first seeded Malaysian wouldn’t allow the momentum to shift, Chong Wei consistently pounded Peter to make him struggle at all corners of the court, and finished it 21-13.

“Knowing that I’m up against a veteran, my tactic was to speed up the game so Peter would have no choice but to use much of his energy,” Chong Wei said afterward. “The first game was key,” said Gade. “I wanted to have a good start against Chong Wei because if he gets a better start ahead of me, he will build self-confidence and it would be very difficult to defeat him if he gets too confident. “I experimented with new tactics because I need to think about future possible matches against him (especially in next year’s Olympics). With some parts I was happy, with some parts I was not. I wanted to have a better performance and I’m a little disappointed with myself.”

In the second, Peter gave the crowd a speck of hope with his new fighting spirit. He stuck neck-and-neck with Lee Chong Wei but the Dane committed several cross-court cut errors and again Lee Chong Wei moved ahead, and toko the second game 21-16."

http://www.badzine.net/news/japan-open-sf-–-peter-bids-japan-super-series-goodbye/16651/

#675 demolidor, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  16. bunny76

bunny76 New Member

I find it ludicrous to use the withdrawals as a lame excuse to protest against WBF for putting their players in same half, have the China team no "common sense" that their seedings or placement are simply based on their rankings and the very fact that there are so many China players in both women and men singles meant that the possibility of two China players meeting in semis are a high possibility.

Previously we have seen Korea meeting Korea in semis, Denmark meeting Denmark and even Indonesia vs Indonesia in semis and they do not do withdrawals. They still fight it out to gain a place in finals.

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

PG's attitude can be a little annoying sometimes but there is nothing out of place really. This is not chess, they have to be aggressive and have extremely quick reaction. Players have different ways to do that, a little row is all right in my mind.
    As for being cold with LCW at the end, I don't think those two like each other much. PG and LD do, and LCW and TH.

18. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Just use the common sense, for their 5 MS players, China has 1 player in upper half but 4 players in lower one. It's a very skewed distribution, pitching them against each other in earlier rounds. In WS, 3 players in upper half and 1 in lower one.

Anyhow a better explanation can be found here:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/102915-2011-Japan-Open-SS-Day-5-(Semi-Finals)-Sat-24-September?p=1761419#post1761419

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

20. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca