2011 French Open SS: Finals Day Sun 30-October

Discussion in 'French Open / Bitburger Open 2011' started by nokh88, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Dillon

Dillon Regular Member

To me, Fischer is just overly passionate on winning... I dont see anything wrong with what he did, the court is a battleground, and for point and victory they fight.

Yes, it is true that he gives his 110%. You can tell when at times he yells at Pederson to move forward, or move behind, or tells her not to take a shot.. He is dominant, it is his nature, and he is by no means (in my opinion) berating his opponent.

Does he overly does it? That is how as individuals we all have and is entitled to our opinions.

He certainly brings 'color' and 'character' to the game. I bet some will now know him as the 'bad boy' of badminton, but for me, I am definitely looking forward to see his next match and hopes he wins. :)

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Try Nova!! :D:D:D Thankfully, after 3 smashes he is forced to go into breath-conservation mode, nowadays! :p Got to admire his consistency and chutzpah, though... ;):D

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Poor LYD!! If only he had a good XD partner, he'd be taking away a lot more medals... :(

4. Iori

Iori Regular Member

Agree, Ma has a tendency to release a high pitched shriek and stare at her opponent after every point they score. In Denmark Open Ma did it to CP in the early few points. Since CP is too passive to retaliate, JFN decided to return the favour 2x but it gets seen on Camera more easily.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

the way i see it, he shouldn't even waste his energy in xd if he doesn't have a good partner. he should just concentrate on md and blow away every else in md

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    It takes 2-4 to tango.Btw ask jjs to wear skirt or blond wigs. That will be awesome lol.

7. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    Badminton needs a character like JFN who is not intimidated by the Chinese.
    In fact it is the Chinese who are intimidated by JFN and that's good for a change.

8. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    if jjs know you saying like this sure he will smash to you over 300km/h...hahaha...

9. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Marking Dog

This is a 'dog' who is really 'marking his territory' by peeing with his racket throwing, so to say.

10. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    I have watched the Danish and French Open and must say that they were very well organised particularly now that these tournaments are streamed live via utube and is therefore a big plus to the game. Imagine only 5 years ago, we have to read the live commentaries in this forum (big thanks to the forumers for your tireless efforts in keeping us at the edge of our PCs), wait for the delayed telecast by which time the results would already be common knowledge, or book a plane ticket to the venue to watch the matches live. This is truly the marvels of digital technology.

Basically, my impression on the tournament is that China is somewhat pulling their punches here and do not possess the extraordinary desire to do exceptionally well in Europe. Via utube, I can see these traits and attitudes quite clearly from players to coaches. For instance in Chen Long’s game against Lee Chong Wei, you somehow sense his lack of urgency to control or stay in the game. This is evident in Chen Long’s game as well as the body language of his 2 coaches. Even Wang Zhen Ming and Chen Jin while watching the game are clowning around and taking things pretty lightly. Also, Lin Dan surrendering the match to Kenichi Tago at 18-15 up in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] game is totally unheard of and is further proof of the statement. Only in the men doubles do I see the Chinese’s urgency to win the championship.

I have to agree there are indeed cultural differences here between the Europeans and the Chinese. The Chinese leadership is always looking at ways to patiently work towards achieving their goals – they do have 2,500 years of cultural history incidentally. In these European tournaments, the Chinese must have figured that they will be playing to a somewhat ‘unfriendly’ crowd and honestly, who in Europe with the right mind would like to see a ‘faceless’ Chinese reign over a fellow European and continue its domination in badminton.

I reckon the instruction to the Chinese players from the Chinese camp is to do your best and aim for gold but if you don’t, it’s not the end of the world. Just make sure you draw lessons and be stronger the next time. I am always cautious of the Chinese true potential in tournaments such as these and the smokescreen it emits. The Chinese almost always come back stronger than before and seldom lose focus on their ultimate goal when it matters to bring glory back home to its country and people.

This is definitely a cultural trait that the west struggles to comprehend and probably the reason why it gives rise to the ape-like behavior from players like Joachim Fisher. As someone in the forum correctly pointed out, players like JF do add much animalistic life to the game. If I have to choose between the 2 countries, I would definitely prefer the Chinese dominance in badminton than the Danish dominance in badmionton after watching such Danes cultural traits on court this past couple of weeks. YMMV

#450 tsae75, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I think LYD still has enough energy and desire to play both formats and win in both, if only he had a good partner... I was watching the semis of the DO on Youtube again yesterday (your thread re. JF's serve prompted that! :D) and couldn't help noticing LYD in the background, watching intently - almost wistfully - the proceesings on the TV court! :D

if that's what turns you on... :p

12. riffsuad

riffsuad Regular Member

engineer
    i keep waiting when JF story will be end.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

tsae75, good post. .... But I have to disagree on JF's "ape like" behavior. He's just someone who plays with intensity, desire, passion, focus; more so than any other pro players. You also have to remember that Danish and English players are not "pro" athletes in the sense that they don't depend on their athlete income for a living. They also have a regular day job, unlike Chinese, Malaysian, Korean players. ...... And also his "racket throwing" at that failed cross court from XC was just desperation and surrender as they were totally out of position. You can see it in his face as the camera pans in on him with a wry smile and tongue out, that he knew he was toast and was very lucky to get away with a point. There was absolutely no malice or anger or animosity at all.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    While I might agreee with the general thrust of some of your points, I must take exception to the way you have attempted to position some of the actions of Danish players and condemn an entire culture thereby. This amounts to bad-mouthing an entire culture. My considered opinion on this matter is that it does not matter how many centuries of civilazation or culture you have behind you: it is what you do today and how you carry yourself today that marks you. In that regard, I don't think the China team have much to be proud of, frankly. Some of their behaviour and antics on court are downright insulting to their opponents -- interestingly enough, opponents from the same part of the world, with an equally long heritage of "culture and civilization."

You'd also do well to remember that "unfriendly crowds" are not really the sole preserve of the European or Western tournaments, as you have tried to insinuate.

FYI, I come from a community that has a heritage of culture and civilazation that is about 4,000 years old. Does that make me by your yardstick, better or smarter or superior than the Chinese? The last sentence of your post is IMO, especially ill-considered. As they say, perhaps you need to get out more.

IMO, using phrases like "ape-like behaviour" and "animilistic life" in your description is an open invitation to another war of words and ill-feeling between forumers.

All in all, I think you'd do well to reconsider large parts of your post. Although at first reading they may sound very considered and wise, they in fact betray and promote parochialism.

15. ytyang

ytyang Regular Member

It's very funny that such a well thoughtful, diplomatic writing coming
    from you, compared with what you have written two weeks ago: :confused:

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Are you being facetious or serious? Just checking to make sure.

17. ytyang

ytyang Regular Member

Let's just say that I don't appreciate his "FUNNY" comment regarding a Taiwanese
    player!

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Welcome back. The problem is that certain types of humour are lost upon people with agendas. Like you, for instance. I replied in 2 separate posts at that very time, clearly indicating that it was in humour. Your later response was to probe and prod and (in what you probably thing was a smart thing to do, and still is, evidently) quote me out of context and out of reason. Of course, it does not suit your agenda to acknowledge my replies at that time.

Go on. I however, am not about to apologize for the fact that my command and usage of the English language is better than your understanding of its nuances. That includes understanding exactly what you are up to.

19. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Alllllllrigihteee then. Sorry you couldn't find the humour in that post.

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    More likely, found it convenient to not find...