2011 Denmark Open SSP: Finals Sunday 23-October

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open 2011' started by chris-ccc, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    The Price of Consistency

The habit of consistency does takes a toll on LCW as it is no easy feat. And the success of consistency is also due to the habit of being cautious and caution is implemented to his game. You don't get to be world no.1 for so long with a playing style of throwing caution to the wind whereas being the underdog is simply no longer the perks you can afford to have. You are ranked no. 1. You can only go down and be defeated or stay on top. Therefore the pressure is due to crack open sooner or later.

#861 Pakito, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Pure Sports

In a perfect world, everyone from top to bottom of the administrative chart would be a competitive badminton player or related to it. But, that is just not possible. Or is it? I have yet to see this in any country or any other sports for that matter.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    We ought to give credit to Chen Long

Yes, I was mentioning about the pressure that LCW felt as witnessed by our Bcers during the match.

We ought to congratulate CL for performing as well as he did, defeating the World No.1 again.

Let's not just criticize LCW. We ought to give credit to CL. ;););)

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Something fishy going on... ;)

5. flite

flite Regular Member

Consistency is definitely the key point in LCW's armour. When you talk about consistency its all about preparation. How well one prepare for the upcoming tournament.

I suspect that LCW wasn't really well prepared coming into DO'11 as he was playing in the Proton National Grand Prix whereas supposedly he should be resting and fine tuning himself in that week for the up coming tourney. Besides, the challenges given to him in that National Grand Prix lack of quality. This was obvious judging by the semi final scoreline against PG (compared to previous encounters) and all the puffing during the final game. This is not some sort of excuses after the defeat as it is merely my P.O.V on LCW condition upon his match with CL.

On the other hand CL played tremendously well and his performances was one of the best seen this year in the whole of the international circuit. A well deserved victory in the D.O and don't be surprised that the best of CL is yet to come.

#865 flite, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  6. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Absolutely. CL exhibited defensive abilities that previously possessed only by LCW and LD.

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Something fishy going on?
    Thought you already knew long ago. Just watch the game and enjoy. Don't get too serious.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I just came upon this lovely article on the DO, on the blog site of a journalist. It makes for compelling reading. I thought I'd share it with you.

http://badmintonmania.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/the-intersection-of-memories-and-a-stolen-bag/

Some excerpts, with acknowledgement of the author, Dev Sukumar.

Copenhagen Airport evokes powerful memories. It’s an intersection, as all airports are, an intersection of incoming and outgoing flights and memories. Just last year, same time, I was at the Starbucks cafe, chatting with Jens, with the Indonesian team (several Olympic and world champions: Taufik, Kido, Setiawan, etc) sitting around playing cards, when someone stole my bag. All my clothes and all the gifts I’d received. The Indonesians were startled, and even Taufik, usually sage-like in his indifference, looked troubled.

...October 2010 morphs into the October of 2011. Jens is here again. He’s a sweet old man, but not as old as you might think, for he still bikes in the mountains. The last time, when I lost my luggage, he drove me into Copenhagen and checked me into a hotel. The next morning, Lars, our media guide at the tournament, came to visit me and secretly paid the hotel bill. I offered to repay him this time but he wouldn’t hear of it.

...Copenhagen airport was packed. Barcelona were flying in to play FC Copenhagen, and there were hundreds of fans sporting Barca attire. They were all dying to catch a glimpse of Messi.

I wondered at the difference then between badminton and football. Here was a living legend, Taufik Hidayat, sublime in his skills, an Olympic, world and Asian Games champion, sitting in plain sight, in Denmark, and yet nobody recognised him.