2011 All England: Day 4 Friday 11-March (Quarter-Finals)

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2011' started by chris-ccc, Mar 10, 2011.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    What would happen if the semi final line up is LD vs CL and LCW vs MZ?

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Still same result we all want to see: LD vs LCW in Final, maybe LD will have an easier passage with CL but CL can't offer a good excuse to give a WO after his commanding defeat over PG.

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    salute to japan!
    the have 4 in quater
    3 advanced!:eek:
    oh my,they have great spirit!

i think kak helang already know the result so no need to wake so early for hoon/zakry match:p

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

All england traditionally is full of upsets;).
    but i would be more happy to see MZ create some upset for us:D.. keep finger crossed:D

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Quarterfinals Day At The Arena

Well, it has been a very fruitful day for me and my Russian binoculars last nite. The cuties have overpowered their more fancied Indian and Chinese opposition. :D

Spectator attendances were probably around 65% at max. The strongest foreign spectator contingent were the loud Malaysian kids with their flags. Yup, some of them were selling Malaysian flags outside the gates to fellow Malaysians.

The Danish supporters, however, were the best organized and sat pretty much together at one place. Good representation from China, Indonesia, and of all countries, Russia too. Indeed, Anastasia Russkikh benefited well from that, and Indonesia too at least has a partial representation in Mixed Doubles.

The neutrals (me included) rooted most for the Japanese. Partially out of sympathy for the earthquake victims, partially out of the need to maximize the Russian binoculars.

It was heartbreaking to see certain players go out after working so hard, Juliane Schenk in particular was on exhaust fumes by the 3rd game and came up empty in the end. Schenk deserved a lot more than that, Wang Shixian didn't look comfortable at all of winning throughout the match.

On the other hand, Marc Zweibler was almost undone by impatience. When he won it, Marc celebrated like he had already won the tournament. A sobering thought with the Lin Dan challenge coming up.

The most well-prepared player to win must be cute Eriko Hirose. Helped in part by Saina Nehwal's uncharacteristic wild smashes, cute Hirose very purposefully wanted to invite the first attack from Saina before running the diagonal clears and blocks to confuse her opponent. Saina in turn was concentrating too much on one side and gets caught up too easily when play switches to the other side.

The most hard fought artillery style match was the one between Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng against Ko Sung Hyun / Yoo Yeon Seong. Explosive smashes and kungfu dives at irregular angles all the way from start to finish. But Ko wasn't able to last the full pace and the Chinese snatched victory off his errors. Funny, and he is the youngest on court too.

The most boring match, as expected, was Wang Xin's victory against Jiang Yanjiao. Thankfully over in half an hour.

The greatest comeback was Sudket and Saralee turning the tables on Tian Qing and Tao Jiaming. At the start of the match, the Thais must be feeling a bit sleepy, what with the lighting arrangement of the NIA (very conducive to deep slumber). 4-21 and a tongue lashing later, they pulled back into the game as if perked by excessive amounts of coffee. Despite losing a bit of his pace and power, Sudket's placement dropshots were in good effect. And when they attacked, it was always at irregular height, eg. Tian Qing's shoulder and upper body.

The last match of the nite was worth staying out till midnight, for those of us who remained, that is. Backed by their out of work male teammates, a handful of supporters, and the Russian binoculars, the small and diminutive Shizuka Matsuo and her taller southpaw partner Mami Naito played a patient defensive counter game very well. There were quite a bit of heart-stopping moments when the Chinese caught them up, and some supporters were seen gesturing to the Japanese on how to, err, execute the shots they just missed.

The umpire, though, wasn't too happy with working overtime. Must be 'cos he had missed dinner, and now even supper is getting cold. Kept reminding the players (Zhao Yunlei especially) to continue play after each rally. There were a couple of times that the umpire actually scolded Zhao Yunlei (shouting "Yunlei!!!").:eek::D:eek: Sounded more like the school headmaster about to inflict punishment to a naughty girl.

And got punished she did, on the last rally Zhao Yunlei failed to clear a block cleanly and with the attack handed over, a historic Japanese victory was assured. The only bad thing is that it will be an all Japanese affair in the semifinals.

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Oh, and this is for Loh.

Gu Juan didn't really play to instructions. She was asked to move Petya quite a bit after the 2nd game break, but fell back to her regular style. Petya, in fact, didn't need to call in her extra energy reserves. Didn't even need to smash that much to put Gu Juan out of position. All she needed was to keep her place closer to the net, and pounce.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    abedeng!! and we were wondering where you went. thanks for the report and enjoy the tournament!

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think you forgot to mention Eriko was cute :p

Nice summary of the day's play. Looking forward to the SF version

9. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

It was a long but fun yesterday.lots of the unexpected.I will only commend on the matches which were not on tv court.zhang zhao vs Ma chen.despite being a china vs china match, this match is a thriller with zhao and zhang rotating better and tKibg the first set.
    Ma and chen crept back at the second set but zhang and zhao kept the pressure on.Ma jin was visibly frustrated towards the end of the match and giving chen some Tongue lashing whenever chen did a mistake.however a few beatiful placement by chen turned the second set around and Ma started to move a bit quicker to the net.putting a lot of pressure on zhang and zhao.,and claimed the second set.
    In the third,Ma show why she is the world champion by taking control of the net while zhang was visibly tired.Zhang and zhao couldnt find the extra gear needed to finish the match.

Jiang and Wang xin match was a total waste of my time.it was so obvious that jiang was throwing away the match by only playing lift and dropshotz.and jiang didnt even bother to react to Wang's dropshots.in the end,it was so painful to watch that no one paid attention to the match.jiang has my sympathy for being the victim this time

10. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Lcw va boonsak match was a bit one sided.lcw was sharp and prepared for the match while boonsak was having problem keeping up with lcw speed.bonsak was lost half way into the match as lcw was almost better than him in all department of the game.hightlight of the match was lcw was faulted by the umpire by doing a net kill at match point.lcw thought the game was over and proceed to take his gear and prepared for the second set.however umpire told him that his shirt touched the net.many of the audience including lcw couldn't believe the call.lcw shook his head and proceed to finish the set in the next rally.in the second match boonsak spirit was broken and that was the end.

Ld vs nguyen match was one sided as well.nguyen was trying very hard to push Ld away from the net by doing lot of push and lift to the rear court.ld was caught off guard a few times by the push and drives by nguyen and He done some uncharacteristic mistakes.once ld got used to nguyen shots it was all over as ld up his speed And intercept nguyen drives by his trademark jumpsmashes and netplay.
    Match of the day has to go to cai Fu vs shin ko.fAst and furious was the word.both pair were playing such high speed that it was a sight to behold.both pair have incredible attacking smashes and defense accompany by some desperate dives.both pair took turned to attack and the defensive pair stock up their energy between rallies and unleash their raining smashes in the next few rallies.in the end it was the experience pair that found a few more brilliant placements that outplayed the youngsters.an exciting match from start till the end.

#430 lcleing, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    how about another 2 md match that involve mas md where u mentioned u will cheering for?hehe

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I think the MD and XD Semi-Finals matches will be explosive today.

Hope to find them all fighting to 3 games each.

13. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Thank you very much, your "good night" wish actually worked! The "girl of my dreams" was actually in my dreams all night.

14. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

First of first,kkk lost weight which makes him look more sexy:p.they played an attacking game against kido setiawan which worked.later in that first set,kkk tbh got a bit too careful when they got 19 points and allow setiawan and hendrawan to catch up. luckily they adjusted and won the first set.tbh was the man of the match for that day kkk did 5 errors on serve but still good enough to lead 11 -7 at interval.setiawan stepped up at this point and played an fantastic netplays forcing kkk tbh into trouble.kido was also able to played alot of tight net shots slowing the game down and winning the attacking chance and subsequently won 25-23.in the third set kkk and tbh drive setiawan off the net instead of competing against setiawan.this started to force setiawan into errors and they eventually took the game.a very tactical game but kkk tbh seem fitter that day.good play from kkk tbh and I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Boon and zakry seem to be the most harmless pair on first sight. cute and round were the keywords to describe them and we were immensely worried when they played against the towering no1 seed.however to my surprise this pair seem surprisingly sharp and forcing the Danes into alot of trouble.although the Danes were the more complete pair but I am impress to be honest.some of thedrive shots from boon and zakry were awesome and were neck and neck with the Danes.if hoon improved on his net play and this pair improved their speed ,I am very positive about this pair in the future.very good fighting spirit displayed by them.

15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    To be fair, the Malaysians' victory over the Asian Games Champions were also partly due to Hendra Setiawan's lack of form. It's not so much about driving Hendra away from the net, than the fact that he wasn't even there in the first place. But Markis Kido did extremely well to steer them to the 2nd game victory. By definition, the Malaysians should have wrapped it in 2 solid games.

As for Hoon and Zakry, Zakry has problems with shot selection at critical moments. Instead of playing the rally, he took high risk shots that failed to materialize. Especially at 19-19 in game 1.

16. julianng

julianng Regular Member

Your welcome. I am glad your dreams came true. Is Eriko the girl of your dreams ? or WSX ? I hope it is not Nehwal though, lol.

17. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    Nah, it's a girl who doesn't play badminton. At least not that I know of :p

And now it's time to go to sleep again :D

18. julianng

julianng Regular Member

LOL, you sleep very early. I guess your not a night person. You must always miss SS tournaments played in Asia like MO, CO, SO,IO , JO, KO. They are all played during your sleep time or should i say 'dream time'. :D

19. Gicutzu

Gicutzu Regular Member

Student
    I try not to stay up too much, and "going to sleep" means going to take a shower and then going to sleep, and I spend like an hour in the shower :D and then I usually read something and I end up actually going to sleep at around 1:30-2:00 AM.

I've only started following badminton in the last couple of weeks, and the only SS I've followed 'til now was the AE, but I guess what you're saying about the Asian SS is true. However, the difference between following a tournament on TS livescore and sleeping through it is not that big :p

20. julianng

julianng Regular Member

LOL, they don't broadcast badminton SS there ? that sucks.

You can always stream them live from one of the online tv streaming software.

But yah, your rite, there isn't much difference following from TS and sleeping. So how did you get interested in badminton then these few days ?