2009 East Asian Games Hong Kong

Discussion in 'East Asian Games / South East Asian Games (SEA Gam' started by vorxaw, Nov 5, 2009.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    China’s Lin upset at East Asian Games
    By MIN LEE, Associated Press Writer
    1 hour, 21 minutes ago

HONG KONG (AP)—Unheralded South Korean Choi Ho-jin upset Olympic champion Lin Dan in straight sets to win the men’s badminton final at the East Asian Games on Sunday, in one of the biggest upsets of the meet.

Lin, a three-time world champion, blew early leads in both sets and appeared to struggle with the lighting, letting the shuttlecock go on several occasions when it fell in.

Down 18-20 in the first set, the world No. 2 saved set point despite slipping, but an easy put-away gave Choi a 1-0 lead.

Lin squandered 4-1 and 15-12 leads in the second set and bothered by two close calls that brought Choi back to 15-15. He never recovered, saving one match point down 17-20, but missing a forehand on the second to give Choi the win.

The 26-year-old Lin said he was tired after a long season.

“I hope my superiors can be more strategic in entering me in competitions. I played in so many tournaments in the second half of the year … I was in France, I was in China,” said Lin, who nonetheless praised Choi for playing well.

“It’s normal. There are so many young players now. They are channeling all their energy at you,” he said.

The result left China with a relatively poor showing in badminton, even though the sport is one of its strongest.

The mixed doubles final was an all-Chinese affair and a Chinese pairing is competing for women’s doubles gold later Sunday, but the women’s singles and men’s doubles finals were all-Taiwan and all-Hong Kong matches.

In the women’s singles final, world No. 17 Yip Pui-yin of Hong Kong beat fifth-ranked compatriot Zhou Mi 2-1 after Zhou retired with a waist injury while trailing 10-17 in the third set.

Copyright © 2009 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yeah, China only bagged 1 bdm gold through all-CHN-Final in XD, Tao Jiaming/Zhang Yawen.

Another 4 gold won by South Korea (Choi Ho Jin), Hongkong (Yip Pui Yin), Macau (Zhang Dan/Zhang Zhibo) and Chinese Taipei (Hu Chung Hsien/Tsai Chia Hsin).

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I've checked from pg 1 to last page, Choi is ranked outside #708, i.e. his name not in the MS list, unless eagle's eyes old already.:p You all can check it out yourselves :
    http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/ranking/category.aspx?id=1210&category=472&p=3

Only started playing International tourney at the recent Korea IC :http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/find.aspx?a=8&oid=209B123F-AA87-41A2-BC3E-CB57133E64CC&q=70797

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

颁奖仪式结束后,林丹即被媒体围了个水泄不通。面对央视的镜头,林丹一连说出七个累字:“累了累了累了累了!很累很累很累!”对于今天的比赛,林丹表示:“我今天也尽力打了,对手今天打得非常好,这个结果也很正常。”他坦言受到体力的困扰,“体力下降了,精力和技术上面肯定会受到影响。”

Reasons for Lin Dan's loss: "tired...tired...tired..tired...very tired...very tired...very tired...". Simple. He had tried his best but the opponent played very well today. His stamina had gone down...surprising that even Super Dan can complain of tiredness.

If Lin Dan can lose to a nobody from KOR because of tiredness, I guess Lee Chong Wei can also participate in the SEA Games, lost to someone from Vietnam (who's ranked higher than Choi) and cited the same reason. Unfortunately, LCW is no Super Dan. I am pretty sure he will be blasted from every corner (see his defeat to Chen Long and Jan O Jorgensen) if had had done that :cool:

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Tourneys Lin Dan participated in 2009:
    Mar-June - All England & Swiss SS, Sudirman Cup, Indonesia SS
    Aug-Dec - World Championships, China National Games, China Masters, French, China SS, and East Asian Games.

Total: 10 events :cool: And he still wishes that Li Yongbo could be more selective in terms of the tournaments for him.

LCW's participation in 2009:
    Jan-June -- Malaysia & Korea SS, All England & Swiss SS, India GP Gold, Sudirman Cup, Singapore & Indonesia SS, Malaysia GP Gold.
    Aug-Dec -- Macau GP Gold, China Masters & Japan SS, Hong Kong & China SS, Super Series Masters Final.

Total: 15 events

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow. maybe lcw should learn more from choi ho jin on how to beat lin dan:D:D!:rolleyes:

lin dan being generous again,eh?:D

7. george@chongwei

was wondering was there any live telecast on tv of lin dan's match?
    wanting to see how this choi of korea upset lin dan:):p

8. george@chongwei

all 5 titles goes to different country. FAIR AND SQUARE.
    heheheh:D

9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I think the key is to play a very tired Lin Dan at the end of a 2-weeks tourney. This year, Lin Dan ONLY participated in 2 back-to-back events in March. He won the first one and lost the second one.

In 2008, he participated in 10 events. He also failed to win the HKG SS, after winning the China SS.

In 2007, he participated in 13 events. Again, he failed to win the Swiss SS after winning the AE title. Ditto in the French SS after winning the Denmark SS. And in the season-ending tourneys, he only won the HKG SS after getting beaten by Park Sung Hwan in the first round of China SS.

I am pretty sure Lin Dan will not participate in the Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia SS next year. His main targets will be the AE, Thomas Cup, World Championships, and season-ending Asian Games in front of the home crowd in Guangzhou. Given his tendency to falter in a back-to-back tourney, he might not be able to win his AG Individual Event Gold Medal for the second time, if he exerts himself too much in the Team-Event and the early rounds of the Individual Event.

He will probably participate in those events + Swiss, China Masters, China SS, and probably Hong Kong SS and either the Denmark or French SS too.

#289 badMania, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. chirigamii

chirigamii Regular Member

Tired? How ridiculous reason it is !
    Lin Dan had an easy draw in this competition and he didn't participate to the Yonex Masters. Lee Chong Wei is very tired I think too, he participated many tournaments this year, more than Lin Dan...and he won the Yonex Masters a week ago.
    So stop to find bad reasons : Lin Dan is the best player in the world but a defeat is a defeat. And China is not as "superior" as we could think in badminton, that's all.

11. george@chongwei

yes. agree with you.
    today's lost shows that no one is perfect in this world. even the super mighty lin dan can lost to an unknown player from korea;)

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I am waiting..

for cooler to give his honest-to-goodness assessment on why LD lost?
    a. he's being generous
    b. he didn't care abt this EA Games
    c. he was too tired
    d. he wants to give BCers a chance to open up a new thread & discuss abt "Why LD lost?"..
    d. all of the above
    ..actually, LD has won the WC as well as the AE, all in the same yr, since 2006..;)
    ..what do you mean "for the 2nd time"??..you meant "in his 2nd attempt"??..

#292 ctjcad, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  13. chirigamii

chirigamii Regular Member

Yes and it's a good thing to see new young players, the next generation is already here?:rolleyes:

14. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

LD lost to Chen Long as well when they were competing in one of the competitions in China.

15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

a to c have been listed by some BCers.

LD has won BOTH the WC and AE in:
    2006, 2007, and 2009.

16. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Thank you for the correction. I believe that one reason Taufik Hidayat managed to beat Lin Dan in the 2006 AG Individual Event Final was Lin Dan's stamina, after a long schedule of matches in the Team & Individual Event (which went all the way to the Final).

17. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Don't think it really means that much. Apart from reinforcing the fact that no player is invincible! Like Lin Dan said, it's normal :D. Also I like how the medals all went to different countries :).

18. badssp07

badssp07 Regular Member

Officer
    Badmania, you are so right. Lin Dan also beat Taufik twice in team matches before losing to Taufik at the individual final. My opinion is that LD & Taufik were quite even in 2006.

19. badssp07

badssp07 Regular Member

Officer
    Yes, LD lost to Chen Long at the pre-lim round of China's National Games by the score 20-22; 20-22.

20. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Thats one of the reason why Badminton can not be more Professional...as in tennis all top players play at least 18 tournament ( if I am not wrong) some play up to 30 tournament...in Hot weather and most matches last 1 hr to 5 hrs...Badminton is played in AC and most matches last 20 to 50 minutes in single,,

It is normal if Lin Dan lost..no one can win all the time...
    LD is still the best player but I would like to remind " SOMEONE" who always MOCK TH or LCW saying that those 2 had lost to lowest ranking player aka Chen Long at that time..I guess now LD got the honor who lost to lowest ranking player ever..

Ridiculing TH in SS Masters, etc..now his player even can not win the game at all as no TOP players are in this tourney...

I want to hear what excuses from someone who so called the spokeperson of LD...