2 broken Victor Super Inside Waves 36's

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by s_mair, Feb 28, 2016.

1. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

A clubmate managed to kill two of his most favorite Victor Super Inside Wave 36 within only 6 weeks:

SM6_1431.jpg
    SM6_1433.jpg
    SM6_1434.jpg

As you can see, both frames have cracked at the exact same spot after frame hits - I knew both rackets from stringing and both haven't showed any signs of heavy clashes. String tension was at 22 lbs. on both rackets.

Is the SW36 known to be a very fragile racket in general? Any other ideas what could be the reason for this? As said, he really liked the SW36 but is now understandably hesitant to buy another...

2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I have only the 35's but these frames are sturdy as hell. One of them is my first Victor and had douzens of clashs, so I can't say this in general for the SW line. Your friend should claim warranty. Nothing else. Same position speaks for a production defect. Just my 2 cents

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

This matches exactly my initial thoughts - especially since both have been bought at the same time pretty much exactly 2 years ago and therefor it's highly possible that they come from the same production lot. But for some reason (laziness?!) the owner just doesn't want to start claiming warranty. And to be honest, I am seriously considering to start an initial inquiry at the shop (racket-outlet) myself with these pictures and see what they will have to say...

4. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Have you ruled out a bad stringerGood luck with the warranty, they certainly look dodgy.

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

...I saw that one coming! :p

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Sooo... here's a quick update. Based on the pictures, the shop has already agreed to return the two corpses to Victor to claim warranty replacements. Let's see what happens next...

7. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I hope you get a decent reward for your efforts on behalf on the owner.

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I'm pretty sure of that - he is a nice guy and will be happy as hell not having to give up his beloved SW36's. He's the one that bought the Li-Ning 3D80TD as a possible replacement and just doesn't seem to really make friends with it.

But leaving aside a possible reward - I think it's just a lot of fun to deal with things like that. Especially if it's someone else's rackets which are resting in pieces there. ;)

9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    2 years ago and 2 years usage? This make it difficult to claim it as a faulty production batch. I think if it would be I heard something about it here or from friends who running shops.

A bad stringer could be the culprit. I have seen rackets with marks, scratches and cracks due bad stringer. Maybe a previous stringer did a mounting error, strung a racket and made lunch with an unfinished racket on the machine or did it from left to right. I have seen this in the past here. Some stringer use an additional frame which "supports" the 3 and 6 o'clock position. Maybe it squeezed the middle too much.

Can you provide pics of both frames? Especially the intact opposite side (inside, top and outside the area)? Would be interesting do see a small dent or something like that.

10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

He checked the invoice again and they were both bought in May 2014. So I don't think it will be so easy to get them replaced but anyhow it will be worth trying. I will take some pictures of the opposite side of the frame. From what I have seen, there is no sign of any kind of damage there.

My only other explanation would have been that both rackets might have been damaged while they were in the bag together. For example when the bag maybe got squashed in a car door or something like that. That would at least explain the similar error pattern. But according to the owner, he can't remember anything like that.

11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    You are a real Sherlock Holmes. ;) After your guess, I could also be possible that the bag dropped to the floor, got compressed by a falling door entering/leaving a sports hall, during a tournament when somebody dropped or kicked on the bag etc. etc. Such a thing is hard to remember or even to notice as the cause. It won't stay in your mind.

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I like the theory with the dressing room door, Watson!
    Impossible that you would remember a minor incident like that at all.

Hmm... does Victor has a CSI lab to investigate homicides like these?!

13. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

And here are the pictures of the opposite side of the frames. Both rackets are looking perfect:
    SM6_1440.jpg SM6_1441.jpg

And since I had my good old macro lens mounted on the camera, I took some close-ups of the deadly wounds too.

***WARNING - THE FOLLOWING PICTURES MIGHT BE DISTURBING FOR SENSITIVE VIEWERS***

SM6_1442.jpg SM6_1443.jpg

...feels a bit like driving by a car accident. You really don't want to look, but you just cannot look away either.

#14 s_mair, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Just a quick update on this. Victor Europe has accepted the warranty claim and has relaced both rackets free of charge. Thumbs up for Victor's customer service! :)

JJ0907 likes this.
  16. mikomi

mikomi Regular Member

Foreman, Slacker
    Glad to hear they took care of you.