~$120 Racket Recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by kklee1517, Mar 21, 2012.

1. kklee1517

kklee1517 Regular Member

Student
    Hello,

I am looking for a good badminton racket for under $120. I am a singles player and I am more of a defensive player I guess. I love to drop and net, and I usually just wait for a good opportunity to smash it. If there is something similar to the Yonex Armortec 900 Technique, that would be great. I really enjoyed using that racket, but its too expensive.

I want something near 80-84g but if you guys recommend something different, then I might check it out. I am also used to head heavy and stiff rackets.

Thanks!

2. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Victor Superwaves 310. Head-heavy like the AT900T, available in 4U, and a bargain at about USD80 strung (but not delivered).

3. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    If you noticed, Sportcheck had the AT 900T on sale for $150 a few weeks ago. Although that's $30 more than your budget, it's a coup here in Canada. Not sure if they still have the sale on but check them out and you might find a bargain.

If you're a defensive player, I thought a less head heavy racket will be more ideal, no?

4. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Depends.

You kinda have two choices - a) Capitalise on your defense (speed) and go light and fast, or b) make up for your power 'shortcomings' by going a bit head-heavy (The Cai Yun theory).

5. kklee1517

kklee1517 Regular Member

Student
    I do attack at times. I guess I'm an all arounder haha. AT900 T for $150! Dang, I missed out on an amazing deal. I don't usually smash because my smashes are actually pretty bad haha. I really like head heavy rackets, makes my smashes a little less.. bad. Also, I can control my drops better with the head heavy rackets.

I'll check out the Victor Superwave, thanks for the suggestion!

6. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Slightly over your budget but I would recommend Victor MX80. It's slightly head heavy and stiff (probably x-stiff). Goes for about $160 retail but cheaper if you buy it online.

Babolat X-Feel Blast is within your price range. It's also slightly head heavy and stiff. I found it to be pretty quick but problem is that it's 88g and not 4U like you wanted.

Note: I'm recommending rackets that I have actually used/played with.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

MJstrings is there in the Greater Toronto Area. He carries Panda Power brand which is usually a bargain for the quality. The Trinity Pro is quite stiff, and comes in a range of balance points. Unfortunately MJ has yet to have completely updated his webpage. But you could drop him a line and see what he has. If you like the sounds of it, you could go see it before you buy.

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

RKEP PRO 6000 and 9000 are both worth considering as well!!

9. kklee1517

kklee1517 Regular Member

Student
    Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have checked out MJstrings before already, they have pretty nice rackets! Can you access the Panda Power page? Because I can't.

And about the Mx80, where do you find it for ~$160? I have yet to find one. MJstrings sells for $190 O.O

I have never seen a RKEP racket. I'm not sure if they're reliable because I rarely see them in discussions.

What about Apacs rackets? I have seen several different discussions about their rackets. And Dinkalot rated 2 Apacs racket Excellent+! That's really good!

Thanks again!

10. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    In Vancouver, BC, Canada...it was selling for $160+tax. Prices may have gone up...haven't checked in awhile. I bought mine cheaper online through RKEP when he had it on his website last year.

11. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

12. visor

visor Regular Member

Hi, yep, as some have suggested the RKEP 9000 would be an excellent comparison to the AT900T. If you want some oomph from it, then get one around 87g 295mm bp. You'll be more than pleasantly surprised. ;) :)

13. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

MJ's webpage has been under construction and different bits are being updated piecemeal. However, MJ is a good guy to deal with. Very honest. Just email him if you want to know about his Panda Power racket stock.

I have a Trinity 1 which I love. Plenty stiff and (in my case) mid-balanced and 3U.
    But there should be a wide range of balances and weights availble in the Trinity Pro.
    _____
    Variety in specs is a characteristic of the RKEP rackets, as well. Although I've not played with any, they are getting good initial reviews on badminton central.

Good luck!:)

14. RSX

RSX Regular Member

Hi,

I'm the owner of MJ Strings .... as "Fidet" mentioned we are in the process of updating the website all the products are not there yet, my bad :(( ... in the mean time please feel free to email for any info ... sorry to everyone for the delay.

Can offer BCF member deals on Panda Power or Victor racquets =)

Thanks.

15. kklee1517

kklee1517 Regular Member

Student
    I am having a difficult time deciding between the MX80 or the RKEP Pro9000... I have raised my budget a little bit. Is RKEP still a better choice?

16. kklee1517

kklee1517 Regular Member

Student
    Which one would be better? A RKEP Pro9000 or a MX80? Just a curious question. :D I really love the looks of the MX 80!

17. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ I have both... mx80 is incredibly accurate and quite powerful, but much more demanding coz it's incredibly stiff. I have since moved on to Pro9000 as its more user friendly and still reasonably accurate.