11 x 5 scoring format proposal

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CLELY, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Typo - 5 x 7 points

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This is nice. At least with three games, people feel there is adequate length for comebacks. One game to 21 is just too short. And then 3 x11 also is not too much pressure on court time and therefore costs.

Entering competitions also has a cost - I don’t like to enter competitions where I pay an entry fee and only play one match to 21 points (this happens in HK).

speCulatius and s_mair like this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Our thoughts exactly. One-game matches never feel like real matches. It would even open up more possibilities to start with a group phase to guarantee each participant at least 3 matches.

From what we can see now, it will be a huge challenge to even get people back on the court after this 7+ months covid break around here. I've spoken to three previous regular attendants over the past days who seriously question if they will even pick up the racket again. And if this is a glimpse of what clubs might have to expect, it will become a matter of life and death for a lot of clubs around here.

That is the big question to me. Will they really start a third push in that direction any time soon? Tried it twice, got knocked down twice. Why trying a third time? Maybe they come up with some kind of blurry compromise to go for 5 x 13 or something like that. But whatever they do, let's just hope they do something to explain and promote this properly and early on in the process to the everyday players.

4. psyclops

psyclops Regular Member

Apparently, all those professional statistic tables did not impress the membership; here is the picture of the voting - https://bit.ly/3yAwt5w

The member casting the last vote probably did not realise how momentous their contribution was going to be.

Does anyone know if there is a clause in the agm rules that limits how many times a proposal can be made? I mean, apart from a few wordings here and there, the 5x11 scoring system change was not any different than that in 2018. Apart from the fancy-looking peaks histograms and p.s.tables!

Attached Files:

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Odd that wasn’t a clear margin. Some associations obviously promised to vote for but cast against.

I am sure the proposal will be raised again three or four years time

6. Verhoef

Verhoef Regular Member

Warehouse employee
    In The Netherlands the news came out that the national association (BNL) voted for the change. Strange that the motivation they give is that they voted for because it is only meant for international matches and does not affect the competitions. Otherwise they would have voted against it (?). Are they stupid or do they just don´t give a **** about our sport to get proporly informed before they vote?!

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

If they were serious to having the scoring changed only for the professionals, then they have botched it up even worse than I thought. Cause this was mentionend literally nowhere in their published documents or other information. And I think I have read pretty much all of them in the past couple of weeks. And don't let me get started on the insanity of having different 'official' scorings for pros and normal players.

Actually... I think I don't even want to dig any deeper there. It has been rejected, so water under the bridge. But we clearly need to have an open eye on that side of things once it's up for vote next time around.

8. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    https://www.badmintoncn.com/view-23920-1.html

list of countries that voted against 5x11.

Interesting to see China/HK/Macau voting against it as China tested system internally a few times. Seems like I've gueesed correct for major part.
    Also a lot of countries which are unpopular with badminton had influenced the decision significantly.

s_mair likes this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

As far as I know, in HK, we didn’t test it at all. Although the three places are “one country”, the badminton system and training is different and independent of each other. Whether that translated to voting together or it being a coincidence, I don’t know :)

10. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Well, it was a BWF rule change, that does not directly apply to the national associations. It's up to them to adapt the new rules or stick to the old ones. If BNL didn't want to adapt the change for their leagues, they didn't have to.

But I saw that I need to have a word with somebody in Cyprus. :D

s_mair likes this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I watched Olympic table tennis today (scoring system 11 points per game) - an Indian girl versus a British girl in singles.

The Indian girl won the first two sets by big margins but the British girl still kept battling. The third and fourth sets were much closer but you get the feeling the British girl always had a chance to pull a set back and get into the match. Crucially, she never gave up trying.