100th All England more prestigious than Olympic Gold?

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by jojandy, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronk

ronk Regular Member

LCW could have played on with the Swiss Open, win 4 in a row and then go and shake hands with the PM. What the PM will then say that is, "LCW has made Malaysia really proud by winning 4 in a row, defeating Tago twice, and beating Lin Dan in the final. As Lin Dan did not make it to the All-England final, LCW has played in the SO to meet and beat Lin Dan, and prove once and for all that LCW is number 1."

2. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

There is the big...

"IF"

:eek::eek::eek:

3. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Yes, and that is what it takes to be a true champion. If LCW is afraid that he might lose if he plays in the SO, he is not deserving of the world's number 1 ranking. To be a true number 1, he has to welcome the opportunity of playing the best and winning. All the greats have that mindset. They want and crave the oppotunity to show that they are the very best.

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Let's just end it by declaring LCW is not a true #1 (which has its basis since LD did not play in enough tournaments to gain optimum ranking points).

5. undeadshot

ronk, if what you say is true, name me a world number one. Name me someone who has entered every single tournament and played it all without fail.

6. alexyong

alexyong Regular Member

LCW is afraid of LD

End of story

7. madbad

madbad Regular Member

LD is afraid of LCW.

Discuss

My point is inflammatory comments serve no purpose whatsoever.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i notice that on the news the prime minister ask BAM to pay the players on arrears bonus and earnings only after lcw won the AE. No wonder players other than lcw play subpar because the boss doesn't pay up on their effort:D

9. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Nobody enters every single tournament and plays them without fail. That was never the issue. Every player must select the tournaments to play and the tournaments to skip. A world's number 1 would select to play in the majority of the SS tournaments and skip the Grand Prix tournaments. I would not criticize Lee CW for not entering in the Swiss Open in the first place. He could have decided to play in the All England, and win or lose, go home to Malaysia. But he did enter the Swiss Open and then decided to skip the SO after winning the All England. This speaks of a lack of professionalism and sportsmanship. It is the withdrawing after winning the preceeding tournament that I am criticizing. Had he withdrawn for medical reasons, there would be no criticism.

10. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman

Please critize Tine, LP/JR and the CHN ZN/ZYL as well...:D:D:D
    all also AE winner but skip SO
    ZN/ZYL...entered SO technically but split the partnership as well...
    dont go personal against LCW only
    what standard is this? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I did criticize Tine R in a different thread, and if the Chinese players withdrew after winning the All England or any other tournaments, they too merit criticism. I absolute agree, no double standards at all.

12. danielwong

Salesman

oh...:eek::eek::eek: ok...ok....
    so noble of you...
    wonder Swiss Open committee will be grateful
    of your efforts....:D:D:D

13. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Not going to compare whether OG has more prestige than AE. But I can say why AE is very important to many people especially to old foggies like me.

Ever since we started to play badminton as a sport. We hear our fathers talk about Wong Peng Soon, Eddy Chong, Tan Aik Huang, Rudy Hartono, Lim Swee King and Prakash Pradukone and about how good they were because they won the AE.

World Championship started in 1977, Sven Pri won that, but nobody talk or rave about it. RUdy won WC in 1980 but it was Prakash's win in AE 80 that got every one's tongue wagging. How our hearts broke when Punch Gunalan was one point away from the title at 14-7 in the 2nd set against Rudy and squandered it in AE 74.

When Razif and Jailani won in AE 82, we were jubilant.

When Gopi and Hafiz won , everone talked about it.

Misbun belongs to that generation those born before 1980s always favours th AE.

14. danielwong

Salesman

nicely said and understandable....:D:D but some might think OG gold is the greatest for the new generation....:D:D

15. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

personal opinion???

he's a blxxdy national team coach!!!

this is really a big joke and full of sour grape feeling!!!

i bet my head that he would never say so if this 100th AE is won by any Chinese player...

he should not say so for whatever reasone in his capacity...

16. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

My friend, not ask BAM pay. Government give BAM RM2 million so BAM can pay. Not the boss dont pay, pay 1 or 2 or XX years late, no money mah. That's why so happy new sponsor ING come in.
    So the reward from LCW's AE is not just RM20,000 for LCW but also RM2 million for BAM.;):D

17. benjamin59

benjamin59 Regular Member

technician
    People round the world would acknowledge the greatness of the O gold but half the world don't even know what the AE is all about.
    Last year LD won the AE and lost in the SO and wasn't bother about it. LCW skipped OS because he knew he would lose because this was his 1st AE win and he will not be focus after that. He wants to protect his aura of invincibility.
    LCW took 7 tries to win the AE. HH the yoyo man got his 7 years ago. It is not that special afterall.

18. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

just ask LCW (or any other players), if he just have one single choice to take either 1 AE or 1 OG gold only for the whole of his life, which one would you think he would like to take???

then you would know which one is more important...

congratulates LCW, he finally get one major...

Misbun is really no class, just be able to over-inflate whatever he is able to achieve...

he should say something more of big vision like LYB's "100-world-champion" promise, this is what we call class... although someone might feel arrogance, but he achieved 60+ so far!!!

19. undeadshot

Of course he would not say so if this 100th AE is won by any other player besides those from Malaysia. Why talk about it when your player doesn't get it? It might be his personal opinion. I don't see why you fail to take it as that.

20. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

Awesome......... your opinion = fact.

Sorry but nobody give a rat ass of what you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.