100th All England more prestigious than Olympic Gold?

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by jojandy, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

If Misbun really said it.... the other media interviews with Misbun did not even mention the comparision at all ;);)

2. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Stanley Cup > Olympics.

Like soccer WC > olympics. Even the champions league is probably more prestigious...

3. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

Exactly, what is the big deal here? LCW won the AE10 already. Just let it go. I can't believe the amount discussion here just because he win the AE. Unfairness, cheating, Prestige blah blah blah.

Yes he won the AE, yes won 2 Super series final, yes he won the most SS title, china fanatic just let it go.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Should create a voting system. Am sure Misbun will loose in this. Probably he is ecstatic in having his 2 charges winning it. ;) Yonex propaganda? Probably. Win win for them.

In yearly tournaments, if you are consistent, there's a high chance (except Taufik) you will win it again. In Olympic, you will probably win only once in your lifetime. Except for the great Zhang Ning of course. ;) It'll be tough for LCW to win in in 2 years time due to age factor.

If I am KT, I'll just have to keep consistent as his stamina is second to none at this age. ;). Still it is not easy due to the competitiveness. Form of the day will decide. ;)

5. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

Speaking of Taufik, is this his last yeat like Gade? Will miss Gade after this year. His recent match with Taufik are always the best (Ae09, Indo 09 and AE10)

6. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

If LCW is of low standard, how about the others like NTM, Boonsak, PG?
    Your post is extremely disrespectful to the players. Why don't you try to even win your school competition?

7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It's no use. When LCW was without a major, it became a mocking point. Now that he has, he stole it or he has just the one. As long as his achievement is less than that of LD, it will forever be pointed out. So, to deflect scorn, LCW has to do better than LD, which is frankly impossible. Which goes back to ... it's no use.

8. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Yeah...I guess we should stop talking to anti-LCW and super pro-LD people like bananakid and alexyong here. :(

9. druss

druss Regular Member

I've already commented on the badminton side of things so I'm going comment on this shortly. We had the father of a Canadian NHL hockey player work for us for a period of time. The player played on an AMERICAN team. Would he be happy to win the Stanley Cup? Definitely! Would he be happier to be chosen for the Canadian Olympic team and win gold?? WAY MORE SO!!

You're talking about Canadian pride, which all of our players still have even if playing for an American team. There is no comparison.

10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well, hockey is hockey and badminton is badminton. Different sports have different dynamics. I find that in general, the richer the sport is, the less prestigious Olympics is to the sport. Take tennis, golf, soccer vs badminton, athletics etc.

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    OLY gold for 100th AE, 3 AEs...yes, in a heartbeat. 10 AEs, hmmm, if I am LCW, I need to find out what is the bonus reward, more Datukships, houses, cars (no the Proton OK, more like Aston Martin will do), land, etc, add them up multiply by 10 and see how much dough there is vrs how much do an OLY gold can get, then I can make a better decision:D....come to think of it, 10 AEs that would beat Rudy and 10 AEs is 10 years straight...too long lah:D:p

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    There are so many SS winners, some SS may be more prestigeous than others but an SS nevertheless compared to there are so few OLY baddy winners, only 4 so far each events so far, that makes OLY gold so unique.;)

13. druss

druss Regular Member

I actually don't think so. The thing that I find as a difference, and some may not agree, is that competing for their country in an international venue that most, if not all, average people consider to be the top sporting venue in the world makes a difference.

Regardless of the actual sport, I think you'd need to ask an actual olympic athlete on how they felt about it vs their own sports yearly competition. Some may feel that their own championships are more important than the olympics, some may prefer to win an olympic gold.... One thing to keep in mind is that there are WAY more viewers of the olympics than their own yearly competition. How many people were watching sports at the olympics that they would not normally watch during the year? I for one would never watch things like bi-athlon, speed skating, curling... etc. except for at the olympics.

Now a lot of us are discussing this but it really comes down to everyones opinion. If you take professional sports teams then the individual cities may consider winning the stanley cup, super bowl, world championships... etc. for their home team to be on par if not higher than the olympics, especially if they have not won in some time.

I do know that regardless of what sport they got the gold in, most of the Canadian athletes, who helped us break many records this year for medals won, became instant celebrities. National pride was taken to levels that I've never seen in my 33 years here.

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Hockey is an exceptional case because of the rivalry between the US and Canada, not just in hockey but also compounded by general one-upmanship between the two nations.

Richer sports tend to have athletes who are individualistic. Take tennis where players tend to make their plans around the Grand Slams. If the Olympics or Davis Cup gets in the way, then it is usually pushed aside. In badminton, plans are made around the Olympics.

I use terms like "in general" and "tend to" because there are always exceptions.

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Ask this question to a player in mid April when Stanley Cup fever begins. Ask this question in mid-June when the champions are crowned. Olympic memories will be well over by then. You'll hear players declare they have achieved their dreams

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    basically, for any non main stream sport, the financially poor athletes seek the olympic avenue to improve his situation, especially gold medals which can lead to significant fame and monetary return. Pro athletes in golf, tennis, soccer, basketball, hockey etc don't need the olympic to up his status. Olympic medal is a nice to have but it would hardly add anymore sponsorship from what they already have.

17. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

That is true, but than, having an Olympic gold cements their legacy... Remember Jordan and the dream team? And remember when US didn't win gold in basketball and the great disappointments... While it might not improve sponsorship and such, I think it improves their status or creds as a player. As to the hockey bit, I think it depends on player from player, European players probably don't care as much about the Stanley Cup compared to the Olympics because it's not part of their history. While North American players, the ones that are on the team probably wouldn't give it up for the Stanley Cup once they experienced it, it depends on the player. But being an Olympic Champion does generate alot of sponsorship money for an Olympian. Look at Phelps, Lindsey Vonn, Apollo Ohno etc....

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i believe the legacy of pro sport heros like federer, tiger wood, wayne gretzky, beckahm, michael jordan are quite cemented even without any olympic medals

19. druss

druss Regular Member

The time to ask is not when they are in the middle of any given tournament. The time to ask is at the end of their career and they reflect back on their acheivements. What do they consider as the most important then?

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

You know how polite Canadians are. They'll never commit to saying how important one thing is in fear of offending the other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.