Catching and Preparing Sushi

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Eurasian =--(O), Sep 27, 2008.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

I caught some salmon a little under a month ago, and now want to prepare it for sushi. I have heard varying ideas on how to defrost it, some say in the freezer, some say under moving water, some say room temperature - all say wrapped.

Anyone have any tips or ideas?

2. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

ugh...might not wanna play with your sushi fish...I rather get them from supermarket instead of your own caught fish. it has to be sushi grade to be eaten raw.

3. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    I studied this in undergrad. This is from memory.

The main concerns from preparing this fish is spoilage and parasites.

To avoid spoiled salmon for sashimi, it should have been frozen very quickly. If you do it with home units it may likely turn out mushier than ideal because it doesn't happen fast enough. When it is time to thaw, it should be kept in refrigerated temperature. Room temperature is a definite risk.

Did you catch the salmon in the ocean or in a river? The chance of parasites is very high if it is from the river. I would not recommend trying sashimi if it were. The freeze treatment is also meant to kill parasites. The main mechanism for this is the ice crystal formation piercing them. Here's the catch. The ideal "killing" occurs when the freezing occurs. In fact, there was a study I read that if the time during the freezing occurs is too short the parasites will be in "suspension" and will revive when thawed. Various countries have different regulations for this freeze treatment. They vary quite a bit and some don't even require it. Some types of parasites will get killed by digestion. Some can survive. It's a risk.