Penang Open 2008

Discussion in '2008 Tournaments' started by limsy, Aug 21, 2008.

1. carine

carine Regular Member

thx for the pic...
    mirrura,hv u take the pic of KKK/NHL when dey received award?

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    i want the picture when wee kiong/khe wei receiving award...:p

3. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    sorry! I only managed to snap the MD on the podium!! Heh!

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    crying...:crying:...haiz...no leng cai and leng lui to watch...:crying:

5. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    Ok lah limsy. Just to "layan" u...have to crop out my face:). They look tired because just finished playing.

Attached Files:

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    wow...thanks you very much...^^...:D...next time i belanja u at mamak stall...haha...thanks a lot...^^...:D

oh...wait...how can i belanja u if i didnt saw ur face in the photo...^^...haha...dunno who is u...^^...

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Thanks for the photos.

As to the question of same shirt colour, that was covered by The Star reporter : :D

The Star Online > Sports
    Sunday August 31, 2008

Shirt controversy mars Koo-Tan win

GEORGE TOWN: National number two Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong bagged the Proton Penang Open Badminton Championships men’s doubles title after defeating veterans Chan Chong Ming-Chew Choon Eng 21-18, 18-21, 21-8 at the Penang BA Badminton Hall in Bukit Dumbar yesterday.
    But it was a shirt controversy prior to their Division 1 men’s doubles final which stole the limelight on the final day of the competition.
    The match almost did not take place due to Chong Ming (in blue) and Choon Eng (green) appearing in different coloured shirts.
    Tournament referee Loh Meng Kiang insisted that the pair must wear the same colour on the court or forfeit the match.
    [​IMG] A double: Koo Kien Keat watches as Ng Hui Lin makes a return during their mixed doubles win over Tan Wee Kiong-Woon Khe Wei. Koo also won the men’s doubles title with Tan Boon Heong. – K.E. OOI / The Star
    He also rejected Choon Eng’s attempt to wear a blue shirt with Chong Ming’s name printed on the back.

The matter was settled after a 15-minute delay when Chong Ming dashed to his car and returned with a wet green shirt, which he had worn for the semi-finals on Friday night.

Both players were clearly in discomfort throughout the match as they did not have any shirts to change.

“Being unable to change shirts clearly restricted our movement on the court. My shirt was soaked, with sweat dripping all over the place ... I could hardly move properly,” said Choon Eng.

The shuttlers had to play three matches in 24 hours. They featured in the quarter-finals on Friday morning, the semi-finals on the same night and the final yesterday morning.

The shirt controversy also affected the Division 2 women’s doubles final between Chong Vee Vian-Yvonne Ong and Florah Ng-Nurhani Aziz.
    Florah and Nurhani had to concede a walkover to their Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) team-mates as their shirts did not have their names printed on the back.

The pair’s appeal to scribble their names on the back of their shirts also proved unsuccessful.

But the tournament organisers were also guilty of inconsistency as they allowed Malacca’s Syed Akbar Shah to play without his name on his shirt during the Division 2 men’s singles semi-finals on Friday and with his name written with a black marker pen for the final yesterday.

Meanwhile, the biggest winner in the Penang Open was Kien Keat, who also went on to bag the mixed doubles title with Ng Hui Lin.

After ousting top seeds Mohd Razif Latif-Chong Sook Chin in the semi-finals, Kien Keat-Hui Lin went on to defeat second seeds Tan Wee Kiong-Woon Khe Wei 21-15, 22-20 in the final.

In the women’s doubles, Chin Eei Hui, whose usual partner Wong Pei Tty was forced to skip the tournament to attend to family matters, linked up with Sook Chin but they succumbed to second seeds Fong Chew Yen-Mooi Hing Yau 21-15, 20-22, 3-21 in the final.

In the all-BJSS Division 2 mixed doubles final, second seeds Ow Yao Han-Ong Boon Hui beat Pang Zhen Lin-Chong Vee Vian 21-14, 21-12.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/8/31/sports/22212854&sec=sports

#147 eaglehelang, Aug 31, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  8. justme86

justme86 Regular Member

Student
    anyone got pictures of division 2 ??

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    who's photo u want???

10. justme86

justme86 Regular Member

Student
    all hahahhahahaha as many as possible !!:D

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Entering tournaments without coaches and/or without managers

From some of the photos posted by mirrura, we could see that, in some Doubles matches, all 4 players were wearing the some colour. And from one photo, we could see that partners of a Doubles pair were wearing different colours.

:D:D:D Our players must have entered this tournament without their Coaches/Managers.

Usually, it's their Coaches/Managers who look after these matters: such as attires, schedules, meals, etc...

We can feel how uncomfortable Choon Eng was, when he said Being unable to change shirts clearly restricted our movement on the court. My shirt was soaked, with sweat dripping all over the place ... I could hardly move properly.

:):):)

12. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

imagine having to take an old, used, wet shirt that has been left overnight in your car to wear on finals day. yikes, that's disgusting. also not being able to change it at all for the whole 3 games. even more disgusting!

13. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Imagine having such stubborn spoilsports for match regulators :rolleyes:

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    they didnt experience enough...if i recall correctly,last year wd division 1 final,all of the player wear differ colour...anyone kind enough to show us the picture of last year national grand prix wd division 1 photo? i guess i saw when they earning the prize on podium...

15. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    CCM was clearly affected by his soaked shirts. During the match, he need to go off courts for several times js to dry off his wet pants.

16. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    Actually, I thought I did read somewhere before that it's the standard rules that both doubles partners HAVE to wear the same t shirt in a match. I tried to find the rules in BWF website but to no avail. Can someone clarify this?

17. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    MS
    Roslin shows why he is still one of the best old horses by displaying some great defensice shots.
    HH, still the normal himself, lack of determination & fighting spirit to win at all. this was clearly shown at the rubber set.
    Sad but truth, the hashim subblings still a class above the all the MJs.

XD
    With the vast experince of KKK in MD, he were simply too good TWK/NKW. I would say this match rather won almost by KKK himslf .During the last few points, he was shouted loudly during releasing his smash , probably tried to scared of their opponents. however, Ng Hui Lin is quite good in defense, she is a talented XD player. The only problem is her lack of self confidence sometimes.
    Overall, KheWei played a quite good games. WeeKiong is the one who making the most unforced errors among four players on court.

WS
    A boring match for spectators, Julia is way too strong for the BJSS junior

WD
    No comment, didnt get to watch it coz it was arranged in Another Court.

MD
    Most anticipated match by the locals crowd. It was marred by the controvesial of shirts issues for CCE/CCM. At one point , I thought the match will be cancelled :rolleyes:
    The officials really trying to show off their powers by interrupting on CCM.CCE shirts:rolleyes: :mad:
    I still dont see any improvement on KKK/TBH games. they played more worst compare with the OG match against the eventually GOLD medal winner.:eek:
    CCE/CCM looked quite solid in their defense but lack of speed/power to kill off the rallies.
    Again, KKK were quite consistent compare with TBH. However, he is still trying to save the shuttles in TBH area a couple of times :rolleyes: . And yet, no communication between them whether on or off courts.

18. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

if there's no communication at all, i reckon they should just split them up.
    there's no way they are going to progress this way.

19. susanong

susanong Regular Member

hmmm ... mirurra ... i guess i noe who u r now but i dun get to greet u cos u n ur lady fren busy clicking away wif the players :p

20. susanong

susanong Regular Member