Side news during OG 08

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by huangkwokhau, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

Well, you had the honor of cheering for the Koreans!

2. kemana

kemana Regular Member

i actually saw zhengbo and xia xuan ze on the final day in the stadium,but i was busy going to buy something to drink

3. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

You didn't take pictures with them or autographs? I would have dropped everything I was carrying and run after them! Kemana, and you're trying to say you're unlucky! ;)

4. halvepizza93

halvepizza93 Regular Member

begging
    could you upload them (of een pm sturen:p)?

5. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

The picture I took with Rexy is on Chris' camera. And because that one got lost in Beijing, I haven't got that on :( The picture with WCH is on Tarek's camera. I'll be mailing him for that picture.

I'll make a picture of my ticket with the autograph of Boonsak on it. Sadly, we had no chance to take pictures with Lundgaard, Zhao Jianhua and LWW. Lundgaard was preparing to leave the venue, and Zhao Jianhua just came into the stadium when everybody left after the morning session. Somehow, nobody recognised him/bothered to look at him. He was very surprised when I asked him if he was the famous Chinese player. After that we just chatted shortly in the hallway and he had too leave to meet the Chinese assistent coach.

I'll upload those pics ASAP.

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

ok, waiting for those pics, fengwei:p

7. kemana

kemana Regular Member

but i would love to meet rexy instead. i already took picture of xia xuan ze before, although long before. and zheng bo is not really my type, i would love to take picture of lyd or ljj instead.

8. kemana

kemana Regular Member

you are really lucky! But i'm more interested in Tang Xian Hu

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    From the pictures we have of you, he'd likely say the same :p

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    BTW kemana is tall. Wonder where she learnt her English, sort of with an American twang! ;)

11. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

She is tall yea, much taller than the average Chinese female. Her English is really quite good!

12. kemana

kemana Regular Member

THX,i learned it from US drama...ps,new season is coming yea~~

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-And..

..i thought i heard a bit of a Texas/Southern accent/slang in her, too..."howdy y'all"...;)

No, but, kemana is quite fluent in her English..."you go guuurl!"..:cool:

#373 ctjcad, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  14. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I assume you mean the accent - it would be mighty impressive if you learned the whole language from them

Maybe she watched JR:D ...............Dallas?

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Nice story for some MAL fans

Tuesday September 2, 2008
    Mesmerised by the big Beijing show
    By LOONG MENG YEE

KUALA LUMPUR: Like many, Joyce Lee was mesmerised by China’s organisation of the Beijing Olympics.

But the event that brought lasting memories for her was the Badminton final between Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan at the Beijing Technology Gymnasium.

The 26-year-old Joyce, one of 10 Malaysian volunteers at the Games, watched the final after begging her manager for a pass.

“I can give up watching the Olympics opening and closing ceremonies but I was determined to watch the badminton game.

“It was my country’s only chance to win a gold medal,” said Joyce.

Chance of a lifetime: Joyce (second from right) travelled for an hour by train and bus to reach the Beijing Technology Gymnasium (background building) to watch Chong Wei battle it out with Lin Dan.

She brought along a Malaysian flag which she used to bring out the Malaysia Boleh! spirit in Chong Wei.

Joyce said the atmosphere at the gymnasium was overwhelming.

Every time she and the outnumbered Malaysian fans shouted Chong Wei’s name, it was drowned out by the thunderous roar of the Chinese fans backing Lin Dan, she said.

“I didn’t care. I kept shouting Chong Wei’s name. It was an intimidating experience to face an entire stadium of opposition.

“What more for Chong Wei. The emotional pressure was really tremendous. I do not envy him and his loss to Lin Dan was understandable,” said the Banting-born lass.

Joyce, who skipped her convocation ceremony at Universiti Malaya on Aug 5 and spent about RM6,000 of her savings to be a volunteer, said she would volunteer again for it was “the chance of a lifetime.”

“The price to pay was small, the experience I gained was magnificent,” she said.

Attached to the Water Cube Stadium where she assisted in distributing the results, Joyce watched American swimming sensation Michael Phelps at the centre of attention every time he competed.

“Every time Phelps competed, the stadium would be full. He was a nice person too, friendly and did not show off,” said Joyce.

Joyce did not try to get near Phelps even for a photo opportunity because Olympic rules disallowed contact with the athletes.

Another volunteer, Tang Kok Khau, 39, said he used his experience as a tour guide to help usher in spectators for the hockey tournaments.

“It was fun working with an international group of volunteers although we had to wake up at 4.30am every morning to report for duty at 5.30am,” he said.

Unable to get into the Bird's Nest stadium for the opening ceremony, Tang and volunteers from Hong Kong watched the event at a pub they had booked solely for the purpose.

“Everything about the Olympics was grand, efficient and breathtaking,” he said.

-----
    Joyce looks like WMC:D

Attached Files:

17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hmm, where u get the story, cooler?:) thanks for sharing.
    btw, pls provide the source of your article.;)

18. kemana

kemana Regular Member

that guy in green t shirt ,he sat close to me during the final day!~:D

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

was u the loud chinese fan they are referring to??:D

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Losing touch(China Daily)
    Updated: 2008-08-25 08:08

There are no winners without losers and for every gold medal there are silver, bronze and the also-rans. Like a pyramid, great victories are built upon the disappointment of others. The conqueror stands on top, looking down on those who would take the crown.

Only occasionally do the tears of success mingle with those of defeat, like in the women's 20km walk that ended in pouring rain at the Bird's Nest. After breaking the finishing line, winner Olga Kaniskina of Russia burst out crying, joined by Kjersti Tysse Platzer from Norway and Italy's Elisa Rigaudo.

But more often than not the joy of victory is predicated upon the bitter disappointment of others.

Tyson Gay's meltdown has been a platform for Jamaica's Usain Bolt to shine. The 100m was billed as the showdown of the Games but Gay didn't even qualify for the final. Then he dropped the baton in the 400m relay. Bolt is the hero and Gay the zero.

it would sound weird if it was the other way around huh???:p

Shooting is fertile territory for weeding out the loser at the last moment. In the men's 10m air rifle two men had to fail spectacularly for India's Abhinav Bindra to claim the first individual gold medal for his country.

He was fourth in the qualifying round, with Zhu Qinan of China a favorite on home soil and Finn Henri Hakkinen leading the field. But Bindra made headway and clinched victory with his final shot, leaving Zhu in tears and Hakkinen shaking his head.

Even more spectacular was the disastrous misfire that saw American Matthew Emmons lose the 50m rifle 3 positions shooting event with his last shot, a repeat of his "Greek tragedy" four years previously when he aimed at the wrong target.

Emmons' story is so tragicomic it is one of those rare occasions when the vanquished is better known than the victor. Nine times out of 10, however, the losers are quickly forgotten even if they were favorites. For reporters they turn into a non-story, just like that.

Another American, Lolo Jones (pictured below), was tipped to win the 100m hurdles and set the fastest time of the year in the semis. In the final, she was in the lead and cruising when she clipped the ninth hurdle and staggered in seventh. Her compatriot Dawn Harper, who only just made the squad, was crowned queen.

The gold, both metaphorically with the medal and literally, in terms of earning cash, goes to the winner. Close doesn't cut it. As China's Olympic badminton champion Lin Dan succinctly put it: "Competitive sports are cruel."

Queen's We are the Champions sums it up time and again at major events:

No time for losers

'Cause we are the champions

Of the world.'
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Huangk is right, i can turn any thread into LD thread:D:D:D

Hmm, didnt i borrowed a Queen's song before?;)

Attached Files:

#380 cooler, Sep 2, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008