What do you do when you're frustrated??

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Joanne, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    Do you... tear stuff up? Break stuff? Scream? Or do nothing? I'm feeling very very very frustrated now over stuff... I've got a choral speaking competition tomorrow and I don't feel up to it, got a Science play that I'm really NOT in the mood to act, next week there's a badminton tournament from 11th to 15th August and I have a piano exam on the 13th! I'm really hoping it doesn't clash... 70% sure it doesn't as my exam is in the morning and hopefully my tournament will be in the afternoon but still... :(

Anyway, what do you do when you're really really frustrated?? Besides suicide? I'll welcome all the replies to my question. :)

2. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    LOL, you have a LOT of stuff going on in your life, Jo!!!

I don't get too mad or frustrated over things much anymore now that I've gotten on a few more years. The funny thing was I would get mad over really trivial things such as not being able to find a book on my desk drawers, etc. Normally, it would begin with a heavy door slam (thump!) and then it would be the pillow thrown across the room. Afterwards, it would end in a sour mood for the day!

Now, when I get frustrated, I would just "take it easy" and not think about whatever's causing that annoyance, because knowing that if I do, it would only cause me to shed unnecssary anger.

But then, there's just some things in life that one can't be happy-go-lucky about, eh??? :D

3. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Yeah lots... tomorrow I've got a full day from 6 am until 9 pm. To think I've got a piano class after school! :( I don't want to slam the door... if I do it might break down. Something I can do that uses all my energy and yet doesn't destroy anything... :confused: I hate my life when things start to clash!!!

4. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Exercise.... like weight training, except that wouldn't be suitable for you yet....

I used to take a baseball bat and destroy scrap pieces of wood.... very anger-diffusing....... :D

Phil

P.S. I'm not crazy.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    you did the right thing Jo, u came here and talk about it. There is enough terrorism in this world already :p Blame it on computers, the more things are done faster, the more things they'll give ya. :(

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    go to the badminton gym and smash the heck out of the shuttle. you will be surprised how much more power you can muster when you are very frustrated. i have done some amazing smashes that way.

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Buy a punchbag and a GOOD pair of gloves or you will injure your hand or wrist and you don't want that to happen!!

Give it about 30 minutes of continual punnishment and you'll feel relaxed.

It's either that or smash a lot but because you are tense you will hit the net a lot and on the other extreme you will smash a racket off the first handy solid object you find.

8. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Ditto to that, kwun. I personally find a lot more power from nowhere when I'm frustrated. If none of the badminton gyms are open, goto a weight room with a puching bag and try to kill it as if it were your arch-nemesis... I find that a very good way to relieve both anger and frustration :)

9. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
  10. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    i listen to my "sad and angry music" mix...

11. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Actually, this is one of the most effective ways of releasing bottled up tension as suggested by experts who did researches into this field. It is said that people who cry have three times less risk of heart disease than people who don't. They end up calmer, more forgiving and less likely to be unhappy for long.

Thus, in average men don't live as long as women as their ego and kiasu-ism cause them to think of it as being un-manly.

As kwun had pointed out, you could go and whack some shuttles. Heck, I know I would - once I played with a mood so bad that I destroyed two shuttles in a single game, the cork flying off to oblivion.

But you need to let things go as it is as it is more damaging to you than to help by going destructive on your mood.

Take a deep breath, count your blessings that you have caring bros and sisters here in BF! ;)

#11 wilfredlgf, Aug 6, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2003
  12. RJCMGP

RJCMGP Regular Member

student/busser
    hehe....There are 2 holes in my wall....one was kicked, and one was punched. Now there is a bed in the way of one, and a picture in front of the other. Now I just try to lite some incense and do some yoga. It is much better. lol Rachelle

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    lol... strong...

now i know why u win all the matches... :D

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Take a big breath.

Take things one at a time

Stay organised

Keep your priorities in order - sort out which activity is most important to you at the moment and give more attention in your preparation to that one.

Losing is not important - if there are factors that prevent you from performing your best at the time, that's life! it happens all the time. Accept it, but make sure you can avoid the reasons for a next time in your preparation.

Sounds like the piano exam is more important but that depends on you.

15. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Me? I'd prefer to hit the wall heheheh. Of course at first you have to make sure that the wall is not the hard wall one :D.

Crazy? Dont think so. When I'm about to do this I'd: (1) choose a soft wall :D, (2) gather the whole energy to my fist, and (3) BUMP! hit the wall as hard as I could.

It seems that all your stresses and tensions are all delivered to the wall and you feel much more relaxed and relieved....

PS: I'm not a psycho. I dont do this to human beings! :p

16. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I think guys tend to hit walls more when they are angry. For the same results but without a grazed fist, try punching a sofa or a wall with a big cushion in between. I personally prefer drop kicking the bed when I am frustrated! Swimming and running is also good, just run or swim as fast as you can until you can run no more!

17. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Err.....what if I say that :eek: ............................... I'm a girl.....? :mad:

18. chub2003

chub2003 Regular Member

anyone just sit there and boil in their own frustration? i know i do, its not good tho. Then when i do something else i forget i was mad

19. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Really? But I very very rarely cry! Doesn't it make you softer and more sensitive? Some of my friends cry over the slightest things.

And today I'm even more frustrated... the badminton tournament I'm in doesn't have an age group... so tomorrow my match is against a 16 year old! And my piano exam is this Wednesday... not prepared for it. :(

Chub2003, that's what I usually do. Just sit down and well, as you said boil over my frustrations. Not good though, you still don't feel relaxed if not more tense up and unsettled.

Well at least I settled one thing. My piano exam is in the morning and tournament is in the afternoon.

Hoping I'll really be able to release my frustrations into my smashes and lobs tomorrow. :)

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i feel sorry for that 16 years old;)