Ideal Height?

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by adamc_72, Jan 1, 2005.

1. adamc_72

adamc_72 New Member

student
    Dear Jonas,

I was just wondering if there is an ideal height for a badminton player?

I am about 6'2" and was wondering if this is an advantage-disadvantage-or no factor, compared to an 'average' height person?

Thank you for your time,

Sincerely,

A. Chatelois

2. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    No perfect height!!

Hi A. Chatelois!!

Over time it´s been proven that all kinds of heights can be a winning height. Take for ex. Thomas Lund which was very high, can´t remember the exact height compared with asian players like Hendrawan.

I think it´s more in your mind. All heights will do if you capitalize on your advantages due to your height.

Kind Regards

Jonas

3. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    ehx jr since we are on this topic just asking from your experience how tall were u when you were about 15 and did you continue growing after that.any advice on how to grow taller.

4. fanatico

fanatico Regular Member

Student
    6"2, thats so tall!

5. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
  6. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    well im 15 but im only around 5ft3 or 5ft4.around 1.64m.:crying:

7. German Player

German Player Regular Member

me is 16 and i have 1.86m :)

Have friend he is about 1.95
    but it isnt really an advantage for him :)

8. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    a friend of mine who was in our country's junior national team way back in the early 90's played doubles in an international competition against two guys from The Netherlands. The first guy was 6 feet 8inches tall and the second guy was 6 feet 10 inches tall. He said that when the 6'10" guy would jump smash from near the baseline, the shuttle would land slightly pass my friend's front service line. :eek:

9. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    There is no ideal hieght for badminton.
    Im 17 and am 5ft 6 and im having no probs with badminton.
    The taller person will have an advantage with offensive shots producing steep and fast smashes but may be a bit more vulnerable at the net than a smaller person.
    Smaller people will find is difficult at the rear and will generally prefer the net and middle section of the court however they are generally more agile.

The more agile u are, the less likely u will lose a game as u will be more likely to return fast shots.

This all what i think.

Being tall is good if u are an offensive player and like smashing at the back.
    Being small u will favour the net area and middle but u will be rushing and leaping to hit shots - you are more agile and badminton is all out speed more than power.

Ideal height would be about average 5ft 10 to 6ft 2??

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Morning all,

Goku999 is right, there's no ideal height for badminton (that is, excessive height provides no inherent advantage as in other sports such as basketball, where the aim is to throw a ball into a target 10 feet in the air). This is part of the appeal of badminton (almost anybody can play it, if not well:D). However, the simple presence of the net does give a lower limit to the feasible height of a player (anyone under around 5' 3'' will have trouble striking downwards close to the net).

As to the pros/cons of tall vs. short: as Goku999 said, being tall gives beter angle for overhead shorts (and a longer reach as well) but makes retrieving the bird from near the floor more difficult. Also, the taller players seem to have more difficulty dealing with net-height drives (especially towards the non-racket shoulder). The shorter players receive these shots at a more comfortable head-height and so can respond better.

Having said all this, one of my regular doubles partners is 14 years old and about 4ft 9in (his head comes up to my armpit:eek:) and he is probably the most agile net player I've ever seen, as he's on the floor diving about 80% of the time. More importantly, his mind is perfectly attuned to badminton, so he knows where to place a shot even if he doesn't quite get it there every single time. Just shows what good mentality can allow you to overcome...

11. jerby

jerby Regular Member

....Then I'm the exeption...I'm 6ft5..1.95m and love netplay. height hasn't really been a disadvantage..yet...

12. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Tall people cover up the court more, and requires lesser energy to produce a shot due to a greater torque. Shorter people have more stamina, and are generally faster. However, height does not really matter as training and talent is exceedingly more important.

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Kido stands only 5'5". But he's more of a back player than Setiawan, who stands 5'11".Kido's got a very powerful smash and is very agile at the back, whereas Setiawan is really impressive at the front court.
    Lee Hyong Jung is a very tall woman. But in mixed and women's doubles, she's better at the front court.
    Lee Hyong Jung's partner, Lee Kyung Won, stands only 5'3", but she executes a much stronger smash.
    Tall and short players have their advantages and disadvantages. It's just a matter of how they use it.

more here: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=959707

14. arthurkii

arthurkii Regular Member

wow 6'2", i think being tall is an advantage in most sports, just have to know how to fully utilize this asset of yours; should play offense more and develop killer smash that we short people can only dream of.

15. arthurkii

arthurkii Regular Member

hey i used to skip 200 ~300 times daily followed immediately by a lot of stretching; it helped me to grow another 5cm after 16. hope this helps

16. Birdy

Birdy Regular Member

Student
    Dude.. im only 5.2 without shoes, and i can execute a smash at 250km/h +. Its a matter of training like I say. It doesn't matter how tall or short you are, you can always be better if you practice. Being tall is an advantage in some sport, but being short also has its advantages where tall people dont have. Hope this helps ~:D

17. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Also depends what kind of 6'2 you are ... are you too tall for you body height or are you bulky or just right ... I once knew a kid who was 6'7 and he couldn't even dunk a basketball :eek: and conversly I know a guy who is like 5'7 who could dunk 2 handed. Needless to say, you can imagine which one would most likely win in a badminton game.

There is no ideal height, but there are ideal attributes such as superior hand eye coordination, more fast twitch muscle, high real time adaptability, lots of money:cool: ...etc. I think its better to ask "is my game and strategy maximizing my height, attributes, and abilities"?

Anyways just my honest opinion and know that I'm a bit on the shorter side so there might be a bit of bias with regards to this question.:p

18. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    Imo height doesn't make a difference if you play trhe right shots - at my club there is someone 6ft 3 he has a good advantage on returning serve bu apart from that his technique is appaling

19. egibney

egibney Regular Member

A lot depends on the event your playing, but really almost any height can be successful like JR says. You just need to tailor your playing style to your build. However, I have noticed that the number of giants in men's singles has shrunk considerably as the game has gotten faster and more dynamic physically. I doubt a player like Thomas Stuer Lauridsen would have the same level of success that he had before. Perhaps someone will prove me wrong on that one though.

20. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Not sure about that, I'm short but an offensive player. I can smash from pretty much everywhere on the court and don't feel I have a disadvantage when playing someone taller.