Lack of mental strength !

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by xymaerts, Aug 17, 2008.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i guess u havent read any of the prior posts. If only LCW play his game and showoff his stuffs, if only.... I'm sure misbun have gave LCW some instructions and advice before the 2nd set. You overlooked one big picture, we were witnessing a ferrari racing against a proton car, no advice from misbun would help if LCW can't move faster, think faster and hit harder than LD. So simple of a remedy to say to LCW but not easy to execute. That is why little difference in the 2nd set.

Lastly, many fans like myself were NOT disappointed with the MS final. Like it or not, we all were privileged to witness the highest form of badminton in action, too bad your hero is on the other side of the court.

#41 cooler, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  2. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

That was a dominating display of badminton skills by LD, LCW was not playing poorly just he was forced to play into LD's zone if I may say, LD controlled the temple and pace of the game and LCW could not change or adapt to it, simple as that. I think with the way LD was playing today, nobody can beat him, he was focused at the task at hand and went at it with the ruthless precision of an assassin. I enjoyed watching the game myself as well.

3. sepang

sepang Regular Member

As I am an athlete, I understood LCW and LD mentally effect. No matter how much you prepare, you sometimes just could not control your emotion. Say is easy, do is tough.
    Being the only hope to win the first gold for Malaysia and played against superb talented opponent, your game is definitely affected. After trailing behind so quickly, it makes the nerve all come out, hard to recover.

There is no doubt that LD plays superb - well deserved gold medalist.

4. thesoothsayer

thesoothsayer Regular Member

Just managed to catch the finals after getting my time wrong and missing it last night. Pretty disappointed with LCW's display. I do agree a lack of mental strength is part of the defeat and it seems to be something all Malaysian players face. When was the last time we won a major final (as in Olympics or World Championship)? We always seems to come in as bridesmaids, choking at the last minute. And the confidence to win is itself a factor in improving the game of players.

LCW definitely does not look like he has the attack to exploit LD's defence but I think he would have put on a better show if he had better mental strength and confidence. Not saying that he would have won but maybe put in a tougher fight. I thought he was famous for his never say die fighting spirit but it just wasn't there.

Not taking anything away from LD as the better player won on the night and I do believe that mental strength is one of the things that makes a top player complete.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

The blame could or could not be on him, but..

..I can see the look on Misbun's face, during the broadcast, as the 2nd set neared the end. He was just sitting there, w/almost a blank look on his face. I can feel his disappointment watching his protege struggled and just wasn't able to find his game.

6. sysoh

sysoh Regular Member

Senior Software Engineer
    LCW forgot to watch the match between LD and PSH? :) PSH commented that LD has increased his speed to the next level after his defeat.

7. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

I think we have to dig out the "root course", and then work/improve on it. It is clear that is a mental strength. Else LCW keep on improving his skill, his stamina etc..And the end of the day, we still get the same result.

As for fasten seat belt case,it happens to all people.. So, far i never see one did not "lock up" the belt in that situation... Maybe u r the one...:D:D

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes, some may now gloat : I told you so. We can tell immediately who they are.

To me, it is a loss which was going to be, even though I claimed LCW will win - which true fan would not.

LD was superior on a day where everything fell in place for him. He had an easier path to the Finals and he had huge home crowd advantage. On the other hand, LCW was overawed by the occasion and sure, I admit his mental strength is lacking.

Kudos to LD. You are not going to get me arguing against this. As for LCW and fans, we have to respect the winner is too good.

9. headphones

headphones Regular Member

I personally believe Zhang Ning has given hope to players of ALL ages. LCW may be getting old, but with his fitness level and commitment to training, he can certainly get his glory in London 2012, no question about it. As long as he learns from this experience, he will come back stronger next time. This olympic, however, deservedly belongs to Lin Dan.

10. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Unfortunately, in the case of Msian shuttlers, they start to go downhill once they are past 28 yrs old. It is not easy to compete against the world's best when you are in your 30s. You need a lot of inner strength and determination to do so. And this is a department MAS shuttlers dont have.

We need to be clear here, Beijing was LCW's best and last chance to win that elusive gold. He will be 30 when London 2012 comes around. Too late I am sorry.

11. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes too late but also for LD to win another. We would be looking at a new batch of players from Malaysia and China.

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    There is a possibility. It is negative to rule that out. But I hope that some youngsters will start to make their mark. Make LCW fight for that spot in 2012.

13. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Although many would say it is an excuse, but the lack of mental strength is not an excuse. Mental strength is an integral part of an athlete, just like his fitness, skill and athletism. Unlike injury, lacking in any of these departments is no excuse, just a statement of fact that you are a lesser athlete.

In the final, if both players had the same mental strength, I believe LD would win by a narrower margin. But LCW totally collapsed in front of LD's superior mental strength. Overwhelming pressure can work two ways, it can hurt you or it can drive you. For LD, it was usually the latter. And he turned the overwhelming pressure (Olympics in the homeground has to be the mother of all pressures that LD has to face in his badminton career) into an overwhelming display of dominance. LCW had a two-fold problem, to stem LD's advance and to handle his own demons. He could do neither and folded. It is what it is, but it is not the end. LCW has to regroup and fight another day.

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I am not into hoping against hope. Lets look at facts. If LCW cant do it in his prime, he wont be able to do it at 30, on his way down.

In our badminton history, do we have any shuttler/s who won a big tournament aged 30?

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If you are talking about history (ancient history like 50s & 60s), then yes.

Although recent history seems to indicate otherwise (due to the damage sustained by the players nowadays to maintain their high level), but there is the possibility that LCW will not be on his way down, but be able to sustain his level till 2012. It's not like I am hoping or something, I am just not ruling him out yet, that's all.

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Dude, no need to look into the 50s & 60s. Try looking back the last 20 years and you will find our shuttlers go downhill from 28 yrs old onwards. To compete at 30s, you need inner strength and determination and MAS shuttlers dont have that.

And yes, you can say LCW has a chance in 2012. But I am sticking to facts. If LCW cant win it during his prime, he wont win it past his prime.

17. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The fact is we don't know what the facts are yet. We cannot say LCW will go downhill just because others before him did. He may have a prolonged prime or a resurgence somewhere. This is not saying he will win anything big in the future, because LD may also stick to his current level, or other players may come along.

18. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Thanks Goodness With Silver

I think that LCW fan should be satisfied with silver medal.Don't forget that he's considered lucky enough not to meet Chen Jin,Chen Jin as a home player just like Lin Dan at their peak hot performance for the gold with their fan support,and don't forget that Linda vs Chen Jin in semi were not the real performance of CJ neither LD.If LCW or Misbun take the CJ vs LD match as a measure then they got tricked,but Misbun I believed knew that,so at least LCW escape from getting bronze or nothing.
    With Lin Dan super performance only +DOP would change his fate....So Thanks Goodness With Silver:)

19. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It's funny how you reduced Lin Dan to Linda ... haha

20. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Of course we cannot tell whats gonna happen in London 2012. BUT what we can do is look at past records and make a judgement. And past records shows that MAS shuttlers after 28, it is all downhill after that. And coupled with LCW tendency to choke at the big tournaments, the picture aint looking bright, dude.