questionable service judging

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by pjswift, Aug 13, 2008.

1. deca2000

deca2000 Regular Member

Isn't it always so:D

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Yes, she is stringent but to non-CHN players. I have never seen her acting stringent against CHN players.Don't mind being proven wrong.

3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Is he the same guy who umpired LCW/SDK QF match and overruled immediately (and correctly) two wrong line calls against LCW made by CHN line judge?
    Well, he would be considered an irregular and recommended to be put up for gold standard.
    (BTW, the difference between HF and ZPH in their fault calls would be the timing.HF's indiscriminate throughout and ZPH's early & late stage.)
    Well, maybe HF may not be rostered to officiate for the rest of the tournament,who knows?
    But look at how smart CHN MD was, they did a little protest, then get on with the badminton,without losing focus or confidence, as if to say to HF: We're good enough to take out KOR and allowing for fault calls.(Congrats, FU/CAI!)
    Unlike the lame and silly behaviour of LKW.

4. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

There not really a point having doubt about a match which isn't really any Chinese player playing. I personally spotted a bad line calls going in favor of WMC when she was against Lu Lan. Some come on guys, let's just cut down on the controversy speculation. So far there's no sign of dishonest for me and what more is we shouldn't step on China's effort of correcting their mistakes at the GuangZhou Chinese Open. Don't you agree it is much more better and it should be praised for?

5. victory

victory Regular Member

The English SJ is indeed very straight. Good Job. Well done. We like to see this kind of fair, stringent and high standard judges all the time. Kudos to China for letting this kind of SJ into courts. Hope they keep this kind of standard to the end. Fu/Cai are mentally very strong not to let faulty ervices ffect them. All praise to them. They deserve the victory. MD final will be very mouthwatering!:D Can' t wait for it!

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I agree, she hasn't called a single service fault against China in her entire career.................Shock......Horror.....COnspiracy:mad::mad:

But no, because she is from China, she cannot officiate in China matches!:D:D:D

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    So when CHN get penalised and not other team it is straight, bu if other way round it in fixed?:confused:

The SJ was not English, was Swedish, Hakan Fossto. May Mag had a word with him.:D:D

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Taking sides, eh ?:D Or just trying stir up someone who writes very well ?:)

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

It's referring to her career to date including other tournaments;she does not officiate just once every four years. I'm not that stupid.

10. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    The rule is not just for OG, it applies to all SS events and Grand Pix before that...it may apply to others, I am not sure.

I never said you were stupid, I tihnk quitethe oppsite actually.

11. victory

victory Regular Member

Thanks for informing me the SJ is a swedish! I like that guy. He looks very confident. Hope he will be one of the judges when LCW play LHY tonight.

No I like to see all judges being fair and stringent to all players regardless of their nationality. The SJ also gave 2 service faults to the Korean right? I did not say anything right?:)

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Right....I think the point is there is no correlation to services judges decisions against any particular nation. If someone can compile statistics to show otherwise, then please do, it would make interesting reading.

Different SJ may have different views on peoples serves, but I don't think there is any link between decisions & nationality.

13. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Until now, only applies to OG, TC/UC, sudirman cup.....until this September onward, ALL SS will have at least 8 International umpires...she has done a good job last time to fault non chinese players in Cheng Du masters...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Oh, my mistake, I apologise. I blame WBF for not bringing in rule before!

15. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    After many federations complain about service judges, etc....thats why BWF applies on all SS to start with....thats a good move...!

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The world is far away from being perfect, ready to take it, or cry all you want. Once you are testing the edge of the rule, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

You can cry all you want, but the trophy is given to the true champion, who's ready to face anything in any given day. Whenever someone loses, somehow it will be linked to CHN, whether its player, coaches, judges, dad, chef, janitor, etc :D

If you say so, I can apply the same theory in GL/ZB's lost, or ZJW/YW's defeat. There were close calls as well, and all the players attempted disputes. Should the CHN fans then say the judges clearly want to eliminate the strongest CHN pairs, so other non-CHN pairs have better chances? :cool:

So, tell me a place that you feel comfortable to hold a tournament? Maybe Mars, with all the aliens as judges? :rolleyes:

17. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Exactly... less hatred and excuses from the anti-china brigade imo

18. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    You are asking way way too much from them... it's the whole purpose of their existence, and you want to take it away from them?:confused: Give them a meaning and purpose in life, lah...;)

19. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Let's forget about any conspiracy. Calls are generally fair and questionable calls are well distributed to every teams.

One thing I noticed is there were more services-faults in this OG than usual. Am I correct and anyone know why? To me, many of these players (from all countries) are servicing very much in the gray area. Only that they weren't called and gotten away it for a long time. Comment?

Another random thought. I was a little trouble by LYB rushing on the court during the dispute and even confronted the SJ during and after the game. A sign of intimidation?

Another comment. I think WBF should provide translators for the players. I imagine most of these players aren't good in English. They should at least be told why they were called fault. Looked like the players and umpire/judge had trouble communicating.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i personally think the service fault need to be revamped.
    player should be given a warning (like 3 warning per match/player) , or a let, that is enough to throw off the server train of thought for making a service mistake. That interruption of service is enough to put a disadvantge on the server next service attempt. It shouldn't be a 1 whole point gain by the opponent for doing nothing, it's too much of a penalty for a minor infraction.