The Lee Battle: Chong Wei Vs Hyunil

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by metalmon1188, Aug 14, 2008.

1. leonardklh

leonardklh Regular Member

student
    lee chong wei of course...

2. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

50/50. LHI is a tougher opponent than SDK. Can go either way.

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

yeap, agree with u this time:)

4. sysoh

sysoh Regular Member

Senior Software Engineer
    He was at the audience seat. He is indeed very patriotic.

5. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

I'm with you on this one. LHI can play both attack and defence and pretty tough physically. LCW will need to be patient and not make mistakes.

He'll have to be able to vary the pace and style of play to keep the other guy confused.

Could go 3 game easy if LHI can control the pace of play.

6. gnail

gnail New Member

Good Luck! LCW!

7. metalmon1188

metalmon1188 Regular Member

LCW! he wins gold he will become a millionaire in malaysia, not to mention he might get incentives from other corporates/sponsor, he might even get the gelaran DATUK!
    Rm 1,000,000...enough for him to spend for the rest of his life :p

8. gillybean18

gillybean18 Regular Member

Those medals are from the Paralympic games, which are for people with disabilities. Hopefully he won't get hurt enough to qualify for those.

9. ayiee1976

ayiee1976 Regular Member

Internal Auditor
    Datukship or 1million I think is not really a big factor for him...

personnal glory..1 in a life time chance..do or die sitution...now or never. I think that kinadna thinking should be put in his mind when he play with LHI.

Loss and fight another olympic 2012...nope...almost impossible.

10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Hiding from LD's flying racquet??:D:D:D

Sorry sorry, dont' bring up KO08 again.

Hoping chong wei pulls through, and LHI gets bronze.

11. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

LHI is one of the best players today - experienced and skillful. On his day, like yesterday, he can take on the better players and beat them. His early wins this year, where he started with a new vigour in the SS series suggests that this man vows to be at the top, and what better ways than winning a medal at the Olympics.

It is, however, unfortunate that he has to meet LCW, who like him has made the same vow. Therefore, the question is who is better. Apple to apple comparison, LCW is younger and faster and also just as skillful. On the merit of that, I have to say LCW will trump LHI.

If LHI were to beat LCW, then it ought to be due to the guile of one man - Li Mao. Li Mao knows LCW well enough with his couple of years training LCW.On the surface of that, it may appear like LCW may be in trouble. But LCW was very smart when Li MAO left - he joined Misbun because if he had joined Wong Tat Meng who understudied with Li Mao, he knew Li MAO would be able to expose his weakness and style.

Moving on to today's match, LCW knows he needs to move LYI around to have a chance to get his al-famous smashes in - LYI will not be intimidated if LCW plays his normal game. BAO felled for it 'hook-line & sinker' because he ws dictated to by LHI - BAO was never playing his normal game. Kudos must go to LHI to be mentally strong against such a strong opponent as BAO.

LCW has so far been domineering - he started of cautiously in both matches against top opponents like Susilo and BAO (understandably, given the Olympic hype and nerves) but steamrolled these opponents once the his nerves settled. Expect a faster start against LHI matching him for at least 3/4 of the 1st game before exerting his superiority. As always, LHI is capable of a comeback in the later part of the game, which often saw him winning as in the game against BAO. Hence, LCW has to guard against such LHI surges. Focus is the name of the game, no fancy footwork or shots (but the good thing is LCW is not doing a lot of these now). LCW, on the other hand, MUST use his speed to 'spreadeagle' LHI - give him less time to think and strategise and deploy his smashes as he did against Sony. Needless to say he will do that even without my analysis of what will happen. :)

#31 X Ball, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I observed that LCW tends to use the first half of the first set (esp) to study his opponents. Once he knows their strategies, he will go for the kill.

I was simply in awe watching him demolishing Sony yesterday :eek:

13. metalmon1188

lol lmao i just noticed that! well spot on :D

14. ayiee1976

ayiee1976 Regular Member

Internal Auditor
    Agree with that it was close game. Only after the interval LCW start to leave him so far behind.

Different game for LHI...coz he also good in reading opponent move and tend to control his opponent with his game. Jumping and smahshing against LHI will do no good....this game is will be decided on which player do less mistakes...and good judgement....I would expect many long and good rally in this macth.

15. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    there's a couple possibilities which can happen as a result of this match since it comes first.

LD vs LCW(Gold)/CJ vs LHI(Bronze)
    LD vs LHI(Gold)/CJ vs LCW(Bronze)
    CJ vs LCW(Gold)/LD vs LHI(Bronze)
    CJ vs LHI(Gold)/LD vs LCW(Bronze)

personally, i'd pick the last possibility, so everyone's most anticipated match would be for an unimportant bronze medal. not that they wouldn't fight all out for it, but it wouldn't be the match everyone would hope for ;). besides, a CJ/LHI matchup would definately look good on paper for a Gold Medal match. I'd pick LHI to win since he did beat mr. runner up BCL. how better to further cement your title by winning silver? instead he lost, and i think LHI will be stronger than a lot of people give him credit for. i just wonder, who will the crowd choose to cheer for (rather conspiracy wise, who will be favoured? :p)

16. ayiee1976

ayiee1976 Regular Member

Internal Auditor
    For MAS...It is important...it will the worst nightmare for all MAS if no medal...the worst olympic ever..since the badminton make an appearance.

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes, he has adopted that strategy. I mentioned that a long time ago here that he will take it in his stride in the beginning of the 1st game. The worst thing he learned was attacking in the opening and then fizzling out, making a fool of himself. The pro takes his time to study and then to apply the moves once he is sure. LCW has taken to that approach, and often times, it set him back in the beginning but then he comes back strongly once his confidence grows. He likes to come from behind !:D:eek:

18. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

Am i seeing it correctly but was it officially name and forged "残奥会" on the medals? :eek:

19. metalmon1188

the odds working on LCW's favour, record of meeting Chong wei up 4-3. the first 2 meetings he got beaten by hyunil, but then Chong wei beat hyunil each time, except during the korean open which he withdrew after leading a set due to high fever.

20. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i just meant that in my experience, everytime everyone or i hype up a match, it always turns out to be a dud. either one person doesn't 100% try or plays their best, and it doesn't turn out to be the classic everyone thinks it would. so for me, don't hype it up, watch the great match ;):rolleyes: although bronze medal match between LCW/LD maybe important to m'sia, olympics wise, bronze medal matches are matches between losers, so to speak :( let's hope for our sake, the gold medal match is a classic, no matter who's in it:p;)