Malaysian Pair Went Walkabout

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by X Ball, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

How shall I start ........

Ok, here goes ... firstly, you have my respect for this post. I mean, we have fought each other tooth and nails all over this forum. We have been banned together a few times (I think, ... dunno about you, but I have been sent to the slammer a couple of times). We served our respective time in solitary confinement, came out and continued battling each other. We got to give the Mods some credit for putting up with us ;). So, as for this humble pie thingy, I believe all Malaysians after watching WMC and KKK/TBH last night sort of ate humble pie one way of another.

Many here think I am anti-Malaysian, mean, pure evil or not patriotic. Yes, I have been critical, infact very critical not only about our badminton but all our sports in general. I grew up playing football and was lucky enough to be involved with the national juniors. And I am not saying I am as good as Maradona or Pele but I was decent. "Got potential la" as my Cikgu Wan used to tell me when I was playing inter-school football back in Trg. :)

When I got involved with the national juniors, I saw the nonsense with my own eyes i.e. politicians, biased selection (based on certain 'factors'), freeloaders travelling with us and etc. You gotta be there to experienced it to really understand the scenario. The entire set up was unprofessional and that prompted me to say goodbye to the game. Mind you I was offered to play in the M-League for NS back in 04/05 but I decided sports has no future in Msia, especially when the set up was 'primitive', thus I decided to fully concentrate on my studies.

And I stand by my statement that our sports on the overall basis have declined tremendously. This is because of our administration of it have been very poor. Look at our Commonwealth games village and the sports facilities in Bkt Jalil today. The condition and maintainence of those facilities are very poor. Many are in bad shape. And this is all due to administration, there is a proverb that says the fish rot from the head down.

Whats the use of having Malaysia Boleh when we are consistent underachievers? Malaysia Boleh to me is mere hype, designed by the powers that be to pull the wool over our eyes. We should emulate the South Koreans or even the Australians. During my football days, I have seen how the South Koreans juniors train and conduct themselves off the field. And they are all business, their players dare not step out of line cos' their coach will chew them up. It is no wonder why they are performing on the world stage while we still struggle to pay our players their monthly salaries.

Back to our badminton, WMC is a god sent to us. I will say it again, all aspiring shuttlers should emulate her conduct. As for yesterday's KKK/TBH vs MK/HS match, look at our KKK/TBH - numerous gold rings, chains, bracelets and a whole bunch of blings blings. Look at HS/MK, we dont see the blings blings etc. I have nothing against blings blings BUT these things must come after success, not the other way round. KKK/TBH ought to learn from Rexy what it takes to be a champion. The way to achieve 'glory' is thru hard work and determination, not having it tattooed on your arm.

Like all Malaysians, I want to see us win our first Olympic gold medal and if LCW can win it, going bald for me is a small thing.

Would be tough for LCW, I am afraid.

2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    I don't intend to take anything away from Pemuda's mental grade...
    ...but, given how the Malaysian pair has been going about the game in the recent past, it didn't require a genius to predict that Koo Kien Keat & Tan Boon Heong wouldn't make it to the podium, much less win a coveted Olympic gold :p

Anyway, it's gallant of you to eat the, um, pie :D

3. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Holy cow...!!! Can I nominate U to be our next Sports Minister? :D I myself also a sportman during my junior yrs and played in the inter-state tourneys. So I kinda concur with U (about KKK's flashes) what it takes to be a champion. Yes, KKK should learn from Rexy's modesty and FooKK's determination... salute them... :)

4. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

It's really sad that that KKK and TBH lost, but then again I didn't think that they can actually beat MK/HS. MK/HS is not the same pair 2 years ago, they are much faster, powerfull and smarter. Look at how solid their defense ... I think that they will win the gold medal. This time I don't blame KKK/TBH for losing ... and I don't know it seems that they have also improved, but not good enough to beat MK/HS.

5. darenong

darenong Regular Member

kkk n tbh should spilt up to 'perhaps' have 2 great double pair from malaysia instead of 1 'best' pair to represent malaysia. clearly the teamwork of the 2 is totally 'unsuited'. can u imagine kkk dash over the line at tbh's side of the court to return a net ball where tbh is there waiting to hit the ball?
    now if ur partner do this to u, how would u really feel playing alongside him ? also, kkk dashing to the front center at the last ball in set 2 and 'forced to' block a smash, is he thinking he is playing mix double ?? lol

my vote is to split them up. they cant perform under pressure. they cant perform even with high confident.

imho, this pair WOULD NEVER advance together anymore .... just my 2cents, correct me if u think im wrong :)

6. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    KKK and to some extent, TBH's bling blings as Pemuda so eloquently puts it does put some questions into his dedication to the sport. I know that just because he is wearing bling blings doesn't mean that he is not dedicated, but I did raise my eyebrows when I looked at them. Got ring la, got necklace la, got earing la, got bracelet la, got another necklace la...

They should focus more and get distracted less...

7. lipans

lipans Regular Member

I would agree that their partnership is not working anymore.

I can still imagine the pair who won the asian game and the pair that lose yesterday are totally different pair. Their eagerness is different. Their partnership is crumbling especially KKK. From a person that dominate front court to a person that try to dominate alone the whole court, he seems out of control.

8. metalmon1188

metalmon1188 Regular Member

as expected, chongy did save the day :D

9. msianshuttler

msianshuttler Regular Member

photographer
    Disappointed but life goes on

Hi Malaysian badminton fans!

Though I don't live there anymore, I still follow and root for malaysian shuttlers.

I was disappointed as many of you with KKK/TBH's loss. After mulling it over, I wondered if it was that big a deal.

As fans, we really should get on with our lives. They are after all mortal.

Hey at least we have Chong Wei to root for. I guess as bad as many of us feel, just put yourself in Rexy's shoes.

I imagine he's leaving. It's too bad if BAM loses him. I think he has done wonders with our doubles.

http://insidebadminton.blogspot.com/

10. sepang

sepang Regular Member

I was surprised to see kkk ran over to hit the shuttle. TBH did not seem eager to play in high intensive game. They did not play fast and furious, spent more time on playing defense which is not their best.

11. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    The fact is, we have moved on too many times. I have moved on too many times. I have moved on when they lost in the WC. I moved on when they lost our finals spot in the TC. I moved on in ABC. I moved on in MO. I moved on in AE.

I will not move on anymore. I agree. Split them. Its got the better.

12. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    It was great posting from both X_Ball and Pemuda, credit to both for being generous and forgiving.

Kido/Setiawan's rise is no different from Ricky/Rexy. For a few years, Ricky/Rexy were being beaten silly by Cheah Soon Kit/Soo Beng Kiang, the most tragic was the 1992 Thomas Cup final defeat. But they came stronger and by late 1992, they suddenly took over and Cheah/Soo came to the receiving end.

Morale of story, continual improvement is key.

13. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

To me you are no difference than to us "Malaysia Boleh" fans, just that you are on the other end.
    You are still emotionally affected by your disappointments and your cynical yet you sound as you are being "unbias" and unaffected of the "boleh hoooray". Though I never doubted your patriotism or your intention.

I can't help but to noticed that your "critical approach" was conveniently being selective and emotionally initiated (your disgustion of the sports council and all that your went through)and at the same time you speak as you standing on a high ground mocking the Malaysian fans as being naive and too emotionally affected. My point is I agree the Malaysia Boleh thingy is mere hype but I don't see the point to ridicule them and at the same time glorify your cynicism.

And no matter how well you can spin-deny it, I will never agree with your personal attack to player. You wont admit it and you will eloquently spin it to otherwise but it is too obvious especially to Non-Malaysian. You are just like us. LOL.

14. markchan

markchan Regular Member

This is my 2 cents.

I feel that KKK/TBH really did try their best and they have shown urgency. heck, they even won the Jap pair (touted as their bogeyman) the previous round and shown that they were fast and furious. I believe they just happened to meet a better pair (MK/HS) on tha day. They just couldnt turn their defence to attack and when they did (in the middle of the second set) they cudnt sustain it . I also felt the umpire's decision to over rule the linesman when the score was 17-17 ? was crucial as it was so near the end of the game. But they didnt complain as vehemently as I wanted them to. (I was screaming in front of the Tv at that point in time, "call the referee!!"...haha).
    I think they should forget this episode and get on with the other tournaments coming their way. Afterall, I believe if they stick to their belief that they can improve ( use LCW as a role model!) they are young enough to be still on top of their game come 2012.

15. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Mark, the decision to overrule the linesman did diddly squat to the match. KKK-TBH were convincingly beaten in the 1st. In the 2nd, they were, at best, levelled but not in front. I could see KKK was already looking strange in the eyes (as if he suddenly realise how important it is to work with TBH in case he was accused of being individualistic again).

Of course, they can improve but the Olympics is over - there may not be another one for them.

#35 X Ball, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  16. Heong

Heong Regular Member

I was shocked to see WMC lose the 2nd set 27-29!
    Rarely do match points ever go up anywhere near 30..!
    so intense..
    She has done well

17. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Yes, I do agree that MK/HS were the better pair on that day, no doubt and KKK/TBH were beaten. Won't you give them another chance to perform at the intn'l level?? Are you gonna "abandon" them? Are you going over to the "dark" side? (being their critic instead of being their supporter?)haha
    Do you agree that this pair should be split? or throw them into the doldrums (like some of the other pairs....no names mentioned here).

18. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    Did TBH/KKK's losing come as a surprise? I saw it all the way, they are no match for the INA pair, note even remotely close. Still miles away from winning gold, just like any other malaysian player(s)

19. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Of course Andrew came closer to winning any medal at all...:D

20. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    ahhaha check my post in other thread, canada is EPIC LOSEEEEE. Oh well least we own in winter olympics = )