Massively Swollen Ankle

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Eurasian =--(O), Aug 5, 2008.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Hi everyone its been awhile,
    I was playing basketball last week and tried to stuff a guy. I missed, hit the backboard with my hand, then landed on his foot and rolled my right ankle really badly. At the time, it didn't hurt too much, but I knew something was different from a normal ankle sprain. My achilles heel hurt. The next day I couldn't walk, couldn't even get into the shower. My entire foot was super fat and black and blue especially on the base of the toes and the achilles heel up until the musclular part of my calv. The sides of my foot and ankle were both blue and very swollen.
    I went to the doctor last Tuesday. She made me get an aircast and sent me for x-rays. The x-rays were blury, but showed that I had a previous fracture that had healed. I was told to come back later in the week and to get more x-rays when the swelling had subsided. So I'm going to go get more x-rays tomorrow, but I don't think they will find anything.
    The pain seems to be centered around the base of my achilles, and the arch of my foot. The most pain occured when I was walking down the stairs and my heel struck the stair with my ankle extended as it was going down to the next stair.
    Does anyone have any idea what I might have done to myself? I'm worried about my achilles, and the time it will take to heal, as I have to start preparing myself for the provincial badminton circuit I play on (and decide if I really want to play on the open natl circuit).
    I am willing to try just about anything.

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You may have torn a tendon or ligament. Go to a doctor to get it check.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If you could walk away from that fall then it is likely nothing is broken; it could be just a sprained ankle. You should have applied RICE immediately after the fall. It is probably too late now, but you still should do it.

4. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Be warned that neither am I a doctor nor is this post equal to even an educated guess :)

- Your description does not suggest any damage to the achilles tendon.

- If the pain in the heel is very high on contact with any hard surface, you might have a hairline fracture.

- Alternatively, considering that you twisted your ankle in that fall, you might have suffered a cartilage tear.

The thing to do is inform your doctor about the pain and its site.
    You need to do this before you take, literally, another step :)

5. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i had a sprained ankle last month too. went home immediately. RICE. but next morning had to practically crawl to the bathroom. cannot put any weight on the feet. went to the clinic. had an x ray taken. medical leave was given for 3 days. walk with the aid of a cane for nearly a week. had trouble going down the stairs too. the tendon behind the heel feels tight. a month went by and the pain still does not go away entirely so i went to the doctor again. i was referred to an orthopedic and the appointment is on the 19th this month. currently doing light stretching exercises. hopefully nothing serious so that i could play again. but i am sorry for you eurasian since you play competatively. :(

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The swelling is mainly due to blood getting into tissues. If you use RICE immediately, the cold from the ice will constrict the blood vessels and prevent or minimize blood getting into the tissues. Once blood gets into the tissues, it will take a long time to recover. RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. You should Rest and not put any load on the injured part for at least 48 hours. Use Ice four to eight times each day, 20 minutes each time starting immediately after the injury, with the injured part elevated higher than your heart. You can also help to massage your leg from the ankle towards the heart with a squeezing motion to help the blood flow to your heart when your injured part is elevated. Use a stretchable bandage for compression to stop the swelling.
    Last week, I had a similar injury and had a twisted knee after landing from a jump smash that went horribly wrong from a newly waxed floor. I couldn't even get up initially, but with plenty of RICE I am able to continue playing at 50 % after 7 days and perhaps back to 100% after 10 days. In the past when RICE was slow in coming after injuries, it would take me more than a month to fully recover.

7. Eurasian =--(O)

I have to go in to go over my new x-rays today. I have been RICE-ing. When my ankle is extended while I am sitting, if I raise my leg and drop it with my heel landing first something is clanking. There is no pain, but there is definate movement, it feels like its near my achilles on inward side just above the heel. Any ideas?

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i dont have any medicial advices for you except for these:

stick to
    - badminton
    - dating
    - gaming.
    :D

9. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You forgot eating:D

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i mean calorie burning activities:p

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Definitely see a doctor, and with despatch.

As taneepak suggests, use RICE, paying particular attention to REST and ICE. You can (and should) reduce the inflammation further by taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen (400mg three times a day, preferably with food).

12. Eurasian =--(O)

I got my xray results back today. I chipped a bone on the outside of my foot. They want me in my aircast for another 2 weeks... I guess my cardio = swimming for August.

13. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    It's better to have the injury heel completely then play with a minor injury. Over time the injury will get worse if you don't let it heel.

14. Eurasian =--(O)

I am still having troubles raising my toes as high on my damaged foot. My big toe is ok but the smaller toes are still a no go. There is also still swelling around the boney parts of my ankle.
    Any ideas?

15. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    My guess is a tendon or ligament tear. Get an ultrasound on the foot to get a better idea.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I believe that once you are fit enough to play, you have to consider taking out that piece of chipped bone unless it will not pose any problem later.

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Have you had a MRI to make sure soft tissues aren't damaged?

18. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    don't be hasty... competitive or not let it rest... or you might regret it later in life. i have yet to regret, but i sprained my ankle in january... did not rest much. now 8 mths later i still have a slight pain in/on the round protruding part of the ankle and also the little bone that sticks out a little right on the inside of the foot right above the arch. so there you have it... don't be too hasty to go back to playing. rest, listen to doctor. after it heals, you will have to strengthen it for about 1-2 mths at least.

19. Eurasian =--(O)

I went to physio today for the first time. The guy said that my tibia and fibia are becoming splayed at my ankle. He also said, I should have stayed in the aircast longer, even tho there wasn't much / any pain.

Does this sound right? My tibia and fibia aren't connected?! It makes sense tho, because my leg was swollen up pretty high. The only thing I can think of doing to help is compressing my leg as tight as i can from the bottom of the calv to my ankle. Any suggestions or ideas? I really thought it was getting near 100%.

I'm going to go talk to my doctor about it as well.

20. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Bone cannot swell. Only tendons, ligaments and surrounding tissue can swell. IMO stop playing for a while. Continuing to play will only make the injury worse.