Any basketball fans here?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Phil, May 20, 2003.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I totally respect ur point of view. However, I just want to bring up thoughts from another angle:

1. Talking about "pile up" all stars ---> champ. Even bulls back then have MJ, Pippen ($1.7 million in 97, even though, his own fault for a long contract, still...), Rodman (don't laugh, almost defensive player of the yr, and if not his weired personality, definitely an all-star), Kukoc (just playing bench??? if any other team, surely a starter, and even someteams, the 1st or 2nd go-to guy.) Do we ever say "shame on them"??? If back in 80's, needless to say, look at the Lakers and Celtics dynasty. Loads of hall of fame, Magic and Bird each have another 3+ all stars in their teams. However, is that fair to say "hey, cheaters???" Ppl like James Worthy, Kevin McHale were known as the 6th man in their teams, do I have to say more?

2. Some future hall of fame getting aged, but still want to get the "missing piece" in their career. For Malone, Barkley (when in HOU), they go to good teams to take a shot for a ring. For Robert Parrish, Mr. "sky hook", playing for $$$. Yeah, they won't be the 1st go-to option in the last year, even some of them playing 3 garbage min. per game. However, if they want to get something that they never got in lifetime (ring: lack of support, $$$: look at how salary sky rocks these days) due to luck, I still feel respectful for their career.

3. Of course, if they get the ring, as a go-to guy, surely, sweet. However, do we still remember that Malone has much better chance to switch to a much better team back then. And if he did, he might get much more $$$ as well as a ring long time ago. He stays for loyalty (ok ok, for stockton, too).

2. RJCMGP

RJCMGP Regular Member

student/busser
    I haven't been to this website in quite a long while - my apologies! ;) Anyways, I saw this thread on the nba. I love the raptors and the kings. Both good teams! Hey, I do have a question though. I had a 3rd cousin (something like that) in the draft...I don't know if he got picked or not. So could anyone tell me what hapenned to Carl English? Thanks a bunch! Rachelle

3. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I saw Carl English on T.V. on a pre-draft show. They were making a special point about him because he was Canadian. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't drafted. Maybe he can get signed as a free agent.

Oh, anyone watch the Lakers press conference with Payton and Malone? Man they sound like they are gonna have a good time.

Phil

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Better be. Now, seems Kobe's case is not really "simple". He might be absent from action for quite a while.

If the new comers can't figure out a way to "share the ball", then, their millions of $$$ will be the worst investment in their legendery career.

5. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
  6. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    yeah his story was in the newspaper.. congratulations carl, glad he found a team.

7. RJCMGP

RJCMGP Regular Member

student/busser
    Thanks for telling me that Phil. I haven't talked to him in a while. I guess I should give him a call and congradulate him. I am just wondering why he didn't get picked in the draft to begin with, wasn't he suppossed to be gone 15-30th? oh well, nevermind that now. Rachelle

8. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I was also told he was projected to go late first-round to early second-round. Glad it worked out in the end. Anything can use more Canadians. :D

This coming season is gearing up to be an exciting one.

Phil

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, I am not an expert, but here's my thought.

Besides the lottery picks, the so call later 1st round and beyond are usually not guaranteed. With all the different needs from each team, and potential trades / free agent market coming up, a lot of teams tend to get some conservative selections. Also, if this yr, some good players playing the same positions, then, some of the gems will be left out. Also, last year performance in school, and performance in "work out" sessions can change a player's value as well.

However, with various summer league, players with good potential still have one more shot. Also, after the big names are traded or signed, teams will finally get a better look of their final roster, then, base on their needs, they will re-evaluate the rookies (1st round is guarantee a contract), and decide who's here, who's gone.

Plus, Carl's school (Uni. of Hawaii???) is not the "big name" school (as in Kentucky, Duke, N.C., etc), which might also bring up a "???" in some ppl's mind, and further hurt his chance of being selected.

#29 LazyBuddy, Jul 23, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2003
  10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hail mary throw

http://wm.gannett.speedera.net/wm.gannett/wxia/020105superbbshot1.wmv

College Player Hits 90-Foot Shot in OT Win

Tue Feb 1,11:17 PM ET

By HANK KURZ Jr., AP Sports Writer

For this former quarterback, it took a Hail Mary thrown like a baseball to win the basketball game. With 0.6 seconds left in overtime, Jordan Snipes of Guilford College rebounded the other team's missed free throw, wheeled around and heaved the ball the full length of the court.

Swish.

For Snipes, the improbable, 90-foot shot for the 91-89 victory over Randolph-Macon on Monday is a memory the former high school quarterback doesn't expect to top.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    I would like to baby sit his kids.

He's been known as "The Big Aristotle", "The Big Daddy", "The Big Baryshnikov" and "The Big Fundamental." Now Shaquille O'Neal can add another name to his already lengthy list of aliases: The Big Spender.
    The Miami center, who is in the third year of a 5-year, $100 million contract with the Heat, routinely spends $875,015 per month, the Palm Beach Post reported on its Web site, citing an accounting document from O'Neal's divorce filing.

Among Shaq's most costly monthly expenditures, according to the newspaper, are, in order:

$156,116 in mortgages on three homes (including his $20 million mansion on Miami Beach's Star Island), plus $31,299 in homeowners insurance;

$110,505 for vacations;

$26,500 a month for child care;

$24,300 for gas;

$17,220 for clothing;

$12,775 for food;

$10,065 for electricity;

$10,000 for temporary child support;

$10,000 for alimony;

$6,730 for dry cleaning;

$5,000 for car payments;

$3,345 for phone bills;

$2,305 for pets;

$1,610 for lawn and pool maintenance;

$1,495 for cable TV
    But lest you think the Diesel is only out for himself and spending too recklessly, he also donates to the government, in the form of $5.41 million in federal income taxes, and over $900,000 in property taxes.

Think the new nickname could catch on?

No wonder Shaq is so fat spending all that time driving around, watching tv and eating. Notice there is no bill there for a trainer.

12. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Great job Cooler. This got to be a record. Brought up a thread 3 years ago. -_-...

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

The question now remains..

..where and what team will retire Snaq's jersey??..Who knew, rather than being a franchise player, he would be a journey-man near the end of his career...:confused::p
    *Btw, i think with all of these moves/trades that had happened with the Suns and Lakers, don't be surprised if these 2 teams would lock horns in the WCF later this summer..Wow, Snaq vs. Kobe!:):D:cool:..And watch the NBA rating skyrocket to the roof, if that were to happen..:And if the Lakers advances to the NBA Finals and meet the Celtics, then watch out for the rating to go through the roof..:eek::p:cool:

#33 ctjcad, Feb 9, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  14. lsh-07

lsh-07 Regular Member

Lol speaking of Shaq, he recently got traded to the Suns for Marion and Banks right? I wonder why.... XD

15. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    That's why so many people said many NBA's general managers are over-paid. The Suns's general manager is a good example, making so much money and making dump decision.

16. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Let's say gas is $4/gallon, and his car only goes 5miles/gallon. He is driving over 30,000 miles a month. 1000 miles/day. :eek::eek:

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..that's why the Suns (or some call them the Sunnies) are what they are..:rolleyes:;)
    ..that's why he's moving to Phoenix; smaller city, all facilities, entertainment, shopping establishments will be within driving distance to his home..heck, he even can commute back & forth to L.A. every weekend now..:rolleyes:;)

18. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

But still, 1000 miles a day, that's a round trip from LA to Phoenix everyday. It's hard to justified how he can spend 24K on gas a month. :confused::confused:

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..now with him moving to Phoenix and possibly commuting back & forth to L.A./SoCal every weekend, maybe that'll justify his monthly spending on gas, a bit...:p
    Hmm, maybe those mileages include his (ex)wife driving around and/or his assistance(s) driving all day long to do services for him; not necessarily him, alone, driving around all day long, every single day..:confused::p

#39 ctjcad, Feb 9, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  20. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Used to..when MJ still play in Chicago..used to be a maniac.Hehe..Well,for now,sometimes i still watch the matches on tv though..