Feeling more power with AT250 than AT 700 Ltd, confused now.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by modularity, Jul 29, 2008.

1. modularity

modularity Regular Member

Just got AT 700Ltd, very nice colours and stuff:), great feel and sound when swinging.

Played with it for the first time, yet it kind of feels soft and light compared with AT 250. Plainly weird...swinging sound is louder, though.

It's certainly head heavy, but the overall weight somehow feels lighter. I cannot seem to generate as much power in smashes. My net shots deteriorated too. AT700 seems more 'bouncy'. I also took several shots on the frame.:crying:.

Both are purchased at a Yonex designated vendor, (3U) same string (NBG95) tension (24lbs) and grip applied.

Is it just me?

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Perhaps you aren't strong enough to flex the AT700, it's too stiff for you, so you find there's less 'feel" too.

I'd say the AT250 probably suits you better.

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Just as Athelete1234 said the stiffness is probably too much for you. You try stringing at a lower tension on the AT700LTD.

4. modularity

Stringing costs 20+ pounds, 2 stringing jobs can pay for a brand new AT250. I'll just let it sit for a while and hope it will go loose.

Yet my feeling is not due to stiffness, on this aspect they feel more or less the same. AT700 feels lighter and faster and I cannot hit the sweetspot consistantly.

5. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You can try hitting the string bed with your palm to reduce the tension.

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    If you have good technique, it is likely that you need a few sessions to adjust to the different timing to hit the sweet spot with the 700 comared to the 250.

From what you describe with the frame shots etc. It sounds like you are used to the 250 and is not timing correctly with the 700.

Or it may simply be like Athlere1234 says, that your swingspeed is to low fot the 700..

/Twobeer

7. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

sounds like you need more time to get used to a much different racquet

8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    AT700LTD is more heavy head so you will have to hit a bit later than AT250

9. modularity

I used an even balance racket all along and only recently switched to head heavy at250.

Yes, timing could be the major problem. It just feels light and super fast. I missed quite a few net kills and mid-court smashes as well, because the swing is faster than the shuttle drops. Embarassing when everyone expects it to be the end of a rally. :mad:, well, it is the end - in favour of the opponents.

at backcourt, even if I miss the string bed, I can still hit the frame... :D, which happens ALOT. This often wins me points, because opponents are expecting a smash when it drops before the net. :D

without a good swing, AT700 offers no power whatsoever. with a good swing and timing, power is great, which i'm afraid, doesn't happen with me that often, and not at all consistent. :eek:

#9 modularity, Aug 2, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  10. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    It's not going to happen overnight so practice is the only option you have. It takes time but you will get there.