Where do i play in Montreal?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by typhoon, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    RsM is open on Saturdays (Cegep Andre-Laurendeau)
    Huaxia too I believe (Marianopolis College)
    Ymca is open smth like 360+ days/yr
    CDL (Cote de Liesse)

2. globenstein

globenstein Regular Member

McGill student
    Are you sure there's badminton at Marianopolis? I'm a student there and I didn't hear anything about the gym being open during the summer. Then again, I might have missed the announcement..

On another note, there's badminton at Patro Le Prévost almost every day but its not cheap. To anyone who went, is it worth it? I haven't been there yet but me and my friend are looking for a place that's fairly popular so we can play doubles (other than RsM).

3. Devilicious

student
    Yes there is. You probably didn't hear abt it because the club is not related to Mariano. A Chinese club called "Huaxia" rents their gym during the wkend (and maybe some wk nights too). I dunno abt the summer schedule tho but it's open either Sat or Sun afternoon. Will have to find out.

4. Luffy

Luffy Regular Member

Hey guys, Why don't you play at Mcgill's gym, I went there to pratice with friends. It's a pretty good place to train yourself against other ppl...This summer 2008, you can play saturday or sunday from 9 am to 5 pm...It's a little hot there thought...

Where is it? : Mcgill's gym, 475 avenue des pins. Go to metro station Mcgill, sortie rue university. Walk on rue university until you reach av. des pins, then cross the steet, turn right and you'll find it...

How much? : 7$ for all day (closed to 5 pm)

I'll be waiting for u every saturday...I need to smash someone's face....or be smashed by you...:O :p =D In conclusion: I need training...

5. globenstein

McGill student
    Sounds good. Although when you say "Chinese" club, is it exclusively for chinese? If its not I'd appreciate if you could tell me how to contact them to find out the schedule, unless you know.

7$? Nice. Is it crowded? Like enough so that there's other people to play with but not to the point where you wait 20 min for a court? And is it really THAT hot? If it's not as bad as the super humid olympic stadium gym, I'd go.

6. Luffy

Luffy Regular Member

Badminton kik ass =D

Well actually, saturday, there's nobody from 9am to 5pm last time I've been there, cause the court is not exclusively for badminton, you can play basketball as well. But me and my friend always come earlier, so we can take some courts.

Sunday's the same from 9am to 1pm...There's nobody. Until 1pm to 5pm, All the gym is exclusively for badminton, so there's more players who comes in and you'll probably have to wait a little, but last time I went there, I didnt have to wait for a line. It was good there. There was even one court that nobody used and I've played from 9 am to 5pm. It was really intense =D

Now for the heat...Mcgill's gyms doesnt have a air conditioner...so it depends on days. Last time I went there, it was ok. But 2 weeks ago, it was hell ! It was rainning, and theres too much humidity and no air circulation. Anyways, I heard that in da olympic stadium is hot too, but you'll see it yourself if you go there...If I didnt die, you should be ok ;) :p

7. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

Weekday Badminton - Week of July 28

Hi Everyone,

I'm in Montreal for the week of July 28 and would like to play advanced to competitive badminton during the weekdays.

Anyone know of a place I can play during the WEEKDAYS which is relatively near to Valleyfield?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

David

8. Devilicious

student
    Hey! No Huaxia's not exclusively for Chinese ppl. Anyone can go play. For info on their schedule, you can see it at: http://www.lba-abl.org/en/hua_xia.htm but then it seems Huaxia's own website isn't working so the info on the LBA website might be inaccurate. I would suggest you call to check w/ the person in charge.

I've never been to the Mcgill gym in the summer but it can't be as humid as the Olympic stadium... there isn't a pool right beside after all...

9. Devilicious

student
    There's a club in Valleyfield. Dunno if it's open and not sure abt the level of play though. http://www.lba-abl.org/en/rigaud.htm Call them to ask abt summer schedules.

There is also Ymca West-Island that might be closer to Valleyfield. I think Tuesday nights are for matches and they have the LBA league players practicing. If you're willing to travel further into the Montreal downtown area, there are usually decent players (most compete in the provincials) at the Ymca Guy-Favreau (Chinatown).

10. Luffy

Luffy Regular Member

Hey guys, this summer, I am searching for a place to play badminton near to Cote Vertu or DuCollege, cause I live close to those metro stations and I'm sick and tired of always using the subway to go play at other place like Ahuntsic or Mcgill.

Can you guys help me find that place where I can easily bike there since I'm close to Cote-Vertu and Du College? If you know some places, can you tell me when it's open during the week and how much is it?

I heard somewhere that Vanier, Cegep St-Laurent and Lauren Hill are gud places for badminton, but are they still open this summer 2008? Please help!

11. Aubby

Aubby New Member

Hey,
    I was just wondering if there was some good place where you can meet new friend and play with different people because I dont know much friends that like to play badminton during summer. So is there some club where you can sign up and u have a random player to play with? I still need alot of training. : (

12. UrashimaKun

UrashimaKun Regular Member

Hey I am planning to play at Mcgill this weekend, is it really like super hot without air conditioning? Do we need to bring ice pack ? You know, I can't survive without air conditionner in my house :D

#152 UrashimaKun, Jul 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  13. globenstein

McGill student
    Check Luffy's post! Apparently there's no A/C. I'm guessing the temperature is a little like the RsM if you've been there..

Btw when are you going this weekend? Me and my friend want to go check the McGill gym this week-end when there's other players since we haven't played doubles in a while. You planning on going saturday or sunday?

14. kbadmin

kbadmin Regular Member

Hey, I'm interested in going to Mcgill this weekend too. Maybe saturday morning to early afternoon, because I have to volunteer at the Francofolie afterwards XD

15. kbadmin

kbadmin Regular Member

btw, I'm new to the YMCA in Chinatown. Anyone play there?

16. UrashimaKun

Well me and my friends plans to go saturday 9am at mcgills. But seriously, I don't know where it is so we might need an extra 1hour to arrive.

17. kbadmin

kbadmin Regular Member

I'll be there on saturday around 10-10:30 am XD

You guys CEGEP students?

18. Luffy

Luffy Regular Member

Niceee, hope u guys will be there at Mcgill like promised :p! ^^

19. kbadmin

kbadmin Regular Member

btw what are your levels? Do you guys play often? Tournaments?

20. UrashimaKun

Ya im from Vanier, though I sucks big time in badminton xD