Forbes.com : LIN DAN is a powerful celebrity

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by LYB-Fan, Jul 23, 2008.

1. LYB-Fan

LYB-Fan Regular Member

i search in google and found that Forbes.com named LIN DAN amongs 25 most powerfull cellebrity in china
    LIN placed no 18 better than leon lai(no. 21) and ZHANG YIMOU (no.23)
    reported than LIN DAN earn US$1.7million last year...
    (i supposed that it's not from prize money)
    on LIN DAN comment section, forbes.com said this:
    LIN DAN badminton super star from china, has deal with 10 famous branded..
    but actually didn't name that branded's

as an athlete's LIN DAN placed number 4 as a most powerfull athletes in china,after YAO MING, LIU XIANG, and YI JINLIAN...

I think that LIN DAN is the richest badminton players now..

LIN DAN give me your dozzen of racquet please if i meet you...:p

2. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If Lin Dan earns US$1.7 million last year from his badminton fame, it will cement China's hold on badminton well into the future. Other countries just cannot offer incentives of this scale. Chinese corporations are getting bigger, not smaller, and the bigger they get the more incentives to Chinese athletics. We will see an explosion of this after the Beijing Olympics. In contrast the money from the super series is small change to the Chinese.

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    That depends if they win Gold or not. The US$1.7m is before taxes i suppose. Even if its half of that. Its still okay.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeah, tax is very high in Mainland China. If Lin Dan wins, he can't negotiate his way out :D. He is too famous to . . . :D

5. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

i think that the $1.7mil he made isn't from the chinese badminton association. i think most of it is from his sponsors and what not. i doubt the association can afford to pay him $1.7mil per year, and plus tournaments don't pay very well lol

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Just this piece of news will bring forth perhaps 10 million new players to badminton in China. This has enormous appeal. Every parent will enrol their kids in badminton schools. I see that in Hong Kong where parents of promising young kids from 10 years old to 16 or 17 sacrifice so much time, money, dedication to improving their kids badminton performance. Some of these kids' skills and quality of play have to be seen to believe. Some of them spend two hours nonstop practising just net tumbles. Some on backand drops, smashes, clears, crosses as well as straight. On another day they practice other strokes repeatedlly. This sometimes comes at a cost. A lot of them don't do so well in studies because they spend almost all their free time on training and competition. For every such case we see in Hong Kong there will be 200 more in China. This is really frightening.

7. yourbestfriend

yourbestfriend Regular Member

how is the frightening? :confused:
    i mean, korea, malaysia, indonesia, and denmark might be scared upon hearing this news, but i mean, we as fans should be happy, no?

8. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    "frightening" scary, that the future kids of HK will be uneducated and have a hard time finding jobs? or "frightening" scary, that China will seemingly forever dominate this sport?...or both? ;):p:rolleyes::D

In anycase, i envy those kids there...i wish my parents did that to me...i doubt there even IS a Badminton Academy in Canada..where kids go to school, but specialize in training for badminton as well =\...

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    why wait for a badminton academy in canada, just go train in china.

with this news, if i am LD:D, i won't be retiring from badminton after 08 OG. Just compete selective big tournaments (like taufik) until u can't make it to the SF anymore, like in 4 years,
    4X1.7 million = another $6.8+ mil :D:D:D:cool:

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

good find lyb-fan.
    here is the complete article
    ----------------------------
    China's Top 25 Stars
    Forbes China Staff and Laurie Birkitt 06.30.08

Though hobbled, big man Yao Ming is at the top of the list.
    Athletes are at the top of FORBES CHINA's fifth annual celebrity list, a trend that will likely continue in coming years as Chinese standouts at the Beijing Olympics will no doubt use their fame to grab big pro contracts and endorsement deals. Entertainers are also wasting no time getting work as spokesmen for luxury brand names.

They are also giving back, as many celebrities on this list have offered financial relief to victims of the Sichuan earthquake. China's richest celebrity, NBA star Yao Ming, is known for his charitable work but was criticized after his initial donation was deemed paltry. He later raised his donation considerably (NBA colleague Yi Jianlian also gave). Huayi Brothers Media Group, the powerful entertainment conglomerate that got a $10 million infusion in December from Li Ka-shing's Tom Group, contributed through actor Jet Li's One Foundation, which donated over half a million dollars. Actresses Gong Li and Zhang Ziyi (Maybelline China's first Asian spokeswoman) also chipped in.

As is the case with FORBES' U.S. celebrity list, winners are ranked by combining income (salaries, endorsements) with the number of times they appear in Web sites, print publications and other media.

Compiled by FORBES CHINA's Echo Yang, Sunny Jiang, Rong Fu, Rachel Lu and Jane Shen. Additional reporting by Laurie Burkitt.

Power Rank| Name | Category | Income (¥mil) | Income Rank | Exposure Rank | Notes

1 | Yao Ming | Athlete | 388 | 1 | 1 | Houston Rockets center recovering from injury; aiming to play in Olympics.

2 | Liu Xiang | Athlete | 163 | 3 | 2 | Advertising income has increased dramatically for the speedy hurdler.

3 | Jet Li | Actor | 240 | 2 | 6 | Movie star is also cofounder of charity the One Foundation.

4 | Yi Jianlian | Athlete | 29 | 9 | 5 | Signed with NBA's Milwaukee Bucks.

5 | Zhang Ziyi | Actress | 55 | 5 | 7 | Starring in Mei Lanfang and The Horsemen.

6 | Fan Bingbing | Actress | 19 | 14 | 2 | Launched own studio; starred in Hong Kong films.

7 | Zhao Wei | Actress | 17 | 17 | 9 | Starred in John Woo's Chibi.

8 | Zhou Xun | Actress | 25 | 11 | 12 | Film star most recently appeared in Hua Pi.

9 | Li Bingbing | Actress | 20 | 12 | 16 | Awarded the best actress Huabiao Award; popular cover girl.

10 | Zhao Benshan | Actor | 20 | 13 | 11 | Self-directed and performed in Xiangsun Aiqing 2.

11 | Gong Li | Actress | 34 | 7 | 22 | Dubbed role for movie Lan Mei; cast in Hollywood's Shanghai.

12 | Xu Jinglei | Actress | 14 | 21 | 13 | Made editor-in-chief for e-magazine Kai La.

13 | Guo Degang | Actor | 15 | 19 | 14 | Comic performer cast in two TV series and one movie, Luo Ye Gui Gen.

14 | Zhang Guoli | Actor | 31 | 8 | 40 | Starred in TV show Zhong Guo Wang Shi.

15 | Zhang Liangying | Singer | 13 | 23 | 19 | Two hit albums; holding benefits for earthquake victims.

16 | Huang Xiaoming | Actor | 12 | 28 | 16 | Launched first album, Ming; attracted luxury brands.

17 | Ge You | Actor | 13 | 24 | 20 | Will star in movie Aristocrats.

18 | Lin Dan | Athlete | 12 | 25 | 26 | Badminton star has deals with ten advertisers.

19 | Sun Li | Actress | 15 | 20 | 33 | Advertisers' favorite; movie Jin Shan expected to gain her global fame.

20 | Huang Shengyi | Actress | 10 | 34 | 21 | Singer and dancer is exploring more TV work.

21 | Leon Lai | Actor | 11 | 32 | 22 | Starred in Mei Lanfang and The Kingdom and the Beauty.

22 | Lang Lang | Pianist | 85 | 4 | 76 | New album, Beethoven, will be released globally.

23 | Zhang Yimou | Director | 8 | 46 |15 | Designing the Olympic Games' opening and closing ceremonies.

24 | Chen Daoming | Actor | 18 | 15 | 69 | Wo Xin Chang Dan show premiered on CCTV.

25 | Yu Dan | Writer | 11 | 31 | 31 | Lecturing on Yuan Xu; popularizing classic literature.

#10 cooler, Jul 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  11. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    LOL 1) They won't accept a no talent player who will waste a spot that a talented player somewhere else probably deserves more. 2) the monetary barrier affects even those of us who are fortunate.:(

12. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    Chinese athletes in retirement

I heard a rather sad story the other day about China's athletes that dont make the cut. there are a lot of them. the get over-trained and then when they can't make the cut because they're overworked then it's bye-bye. not an uncommon story for Chinese elite athletes who dont make it all the way it seems.

link to the story:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92520419

anyone have any thoughts about this? i'm sure that China isn't the only country with such a problem.

#12 blckknght, Jul 24, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

From the list, there're only 4 athletes among entertainers domination. Just wondering that Guo Jingjing a.k.a. Diving Diva is excluded from CHN top-25 Stars?! I think she's very popular in China and also worldwide with her remarkable achievement and good-looking appearance.

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I just love this sort of news!!!

More money to top shuttlers = GOOD for badminton!!!

Lets just hope 1.6 mill is the minimum sponsorship income for a top 10 player in a few years!!!

/Twobeer

15. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    You know, since badminton in China is more of a team sports. Like the player represent the whole nation, more then just themselves. I wonder if the the team gets some money with it's player is sponsored by someone.

Like if Nike wanted to sponsor Lin Dan, they will also have to pay a royalty fee to the China National team, because Lin Dan belongs to the team.

What do you guys think?

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

all those tantrum at 08 KO and internal coach is not all bad isn't it;):p However, i would give credit to TH as the inspirator for this popularity gain in badminton:D

17. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Wonderful news indeed! US$1.7 million is good sum of money. Hopeful that will set the bar higher for the next generation of great badminton players. I agree that Chinese companies are getting bigger and becoming more global. These sponsorship would be great for badminton.

18. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I think this is fair, like a singer who gets promoted always has to share their sponsorship money, income with their parent company.

But I think it is a positive act to badminton regardlessly that a badminton star weight so much in China, a rising country.

19. Dy_e4ia_TUC

Dy_e4ia_TUC Regular Member

college student
    What a great of sum.. LD got that sum by the ads.. Wondering why INA's company never take badminton players 4 their ads.. (TH was,. But just him).. After TUC, the players have already been a star,. But the comp still choose football players 4 their ads.. Hmpfff..

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

pbsi policy, if they dont get their cut, no pbsi's players can