Best Badminton shoe for budget

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by cd4se, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Racketmate1977

Racketmate1977 Regular Member

Civil Servant & Part Time Badminton Coach
    Kasons GS96 are a nice pair of trainers very similar to Yonex. I have a pair and they have not let me down yet.

2. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i tried to find mizuno in Ipoh. not much luck. there's very few shops that sells mizuno and when they do, they almost always sells volleyball shoes. i only found one place selling the wave gate II at RM169.00 (after negotiation). but the shop owner told me that the shoe was made in 2006 or 2007 which i doubt because aren't the wave gate II supposed to be a 2005 model? Ipoh Parade have a mizuno section that sells clothes and shoes but again, majority are running shoes and two are volleyball shoes. no sign of badminton shoes. so i am thinking of looking for the shoes in pertama kompleks first before deciding if i want to buy it from the shop in Ipoh.

3. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

For players in Manila there are places that sell really really cheap Asics badminton sneakers---the older models perhaps. Badminton Hub in Greenbelt sells some pairs. The cheapest I remember seeing is an unbelievable PhP1,300, and they've got a lot of 'em.

4. Barca

Barca Regular Member

I have a pair of Mizuno Wave Gate II. It is really durable and comfy. The only downside is this shoes are heavier compared to Yonex. If you are looking for something light, you should go for Yonex SHB-98. IMO it's one of the lightest shoes around.

5. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

In the spirit of the thread, if you're looking for bang-for-buck you really should steer clear of Yonex, in my opinion. Durability is pitiful on their cheaper offerings and the cushioning is disappointing.

+1 for the Mizuno Wave Gate II. It's not that expensive (almost half the price of a pair of Wave Smash S2s where I come from), but it's good insurance against sprained ankles and the sole is excellent. Not that heavy, either.

6. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    i bought a pair of shb98's about 2months ago and they're starting to wear out right now. btw, i have been wearing them out pretty heavily, but i would expect them to last a bit longer than that.

7. kitseb

kitseb Regular Member

Consultant
    Shoe problem

I had a very similar problem with my Yonex shoes after about 4-5 months. I put a gel insole in the heel and it helped a lot - reducing the pain (but it took nearly 6 months to go completely). I have now switched to Asics gel at half the price so I can afford to change them more often. However, many of my friends wear Yonex hoes (same type as mine) with no problems at all - even after many more months of wear. So its my dodgy heels to blame, they need extra cushioning!

8. xlasher

xlasher Regular Member

wilson EB-7

Hi I just bought Wilson EB-7 for men and it's perfect.

I just can't say any words.

I just realize that Wilson is also good for Badminton and It's just $40 something.

:D

9. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

No one shoe brand or model will cater to all people.

Your friends and a good number of posters here swear by Yonex...because it works for them. You and I on the other hand think otherwise.

The shoe has to conform to you, not the other way 'round :) The moment I felt I needed insoles for my old Yonex pair to relieve myself of the pain, I knew I was never going to buy their shoes again.

10. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i just bought the wave gate II. wore it once. heel pain greatly reduced but not totally gone. i think my feet is trying to readjust to the new shoes. now the heel dont hurt so much but the middle of my sole kinda feel tight. back pain almost none. ok, actually none at all but this is just from one time play. when i used the low end yonex i sometimes get back pain. the yonex was ok for me when i was playing once a week. maybe because my body have time to recuperate before next play time. when i started playing 3 times a week, the pain in the heel especially and the back periodically, starts to become worse. prompting me to survey what better shoes for me than the current one. so a month from now i will do a general review and comparison in the "what shoes you wear" thread. i agree that not everybody will be comfortable with only one type of shoes. i know high end yonex would be very good indeed. but for players like me who cant afford high end yonex, we have to find an alternative that is good enough. dont be discouraged to try different type of shoes until you find the one that suits you the most. physically and financially :)

11. ignatio103

ignatio103 Regular Member

it
    asics gel

how is your gel shoes performed?
    just bought a victor vt79d rgt150...power cushion something..

12. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I can't seem to find any information on Mizuno's badminton shoes... Even their website don't show any. Where can I get more info?

13. meteoflare

meteoflare Regular Member

String breaker
    Not worth the money in my opinion. Brand new shoes lost traction every 5 minutes... I had to keep wetting the bottom to avoid slipping.

They are very comfortable however. Even if you have wide feet it'll still feel decent. No break in period and no blisters.

In the end though, they barely have any gains performance-wise to any generic basketball shoe. My beat up cross-trainers had better traction than the brand new eb-7's... Now I just wear them outdoors when I go to the pool. :rolleyes:

14. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Agree 100%. Not that I like to knock wilson products. There is a reason why eb-7 is so cheap. Because it is cheap and it sucks. SHB-41 has better traction. It's the lack of power cushion on SHB-41 kills me...

15. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    Is the Yonex SHB-41 durable?... I heard from somewhere says that they are quite durable and affordable. Correct me if I'm wrong.

16. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

IMHO, SHB-41 is very durable. If you play on good hardwood floor or rubber floor, it is comfy. Anything else is is a little tough on your feet.

17. cd4se

cd4se Regular Member

Have been using Mizuno Wave Gate III for more than a year now and it's still going strong. But lately my knee start to feel pain...so I guess , the shoes might have lost it's elasticity. I am looking for a new shoes and found Victor VT-92 at RM$190 which is pretty reasonable and it's the shoes worn by ChenHong...going to buy it tonight...after reading on it..there are a lot of technology in it...will try it...hopefully it's better than the low end Mizuno Gate III. As indicate by by other thread...VT-92 = Victor AWS 9500 (in europe). For your info Mizuno Gate III are selling at RM$150.

18. ExtremeCentral

ExtremeCentral Regular Member

Real Estate Salesperson (OTT)
    Mizuno Gate 3 cost SGD89 at World Of Sports in Singapore.

Some older Mizuno 2006 models going for sale at SGD66 each.

19. aelkman

aelkman Regular Member

Student
    #39 aelkman, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  20. aelkman

aelkman Regular Member

Student
    Oh, also I currently have a pair of SHB 100MX but they're half a size too small (I think this because I'm having some toe discomfort). I'm also flat-footed, so maybe these shoes are not a good choice for me???