What do you think about during a game?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jackalan, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Jackalan

Jackalan Regular Member

another question for the pro's!

during a game of singles or doubles what do you think about?
    from my experience i play best when i just thinking about doing 1 or 2 techinques correct. for example i will just think about hitting the shuttle early as possible, or purely think about my footwork, or just think about tactics and where to place the shuttle. i feel like i play well when i only think about 1 or 2 things at a time. but is this the right thing to do during a competatvie game?

i have heard many athletes say different things on this subject. some say they just think about how to win point by point. some dont think any thoughts at all. i spose im asking what do you guys think about?

i believe keeping thoughts positive is a must, and avoid negative self talk at all times. and avoid thinking about hitting it into the net/out, as this is what you will ultimately veer towards doing

also, do you have a different mind set in training to a competative game?

thanks

2. pHysiX

pHysiX Regular Member

Law & Engineering, Legal Assistant
    interesting. wen i play a game, i think about all sorts of things and i keep my movement natural.

i think wat you should think about is analysing your opponent to give yourself a chance to "relax" later on because you will definitely have a strategy set out. once you find that your tactics is working, start thinking that you are playing to have fun or just to be fit. the problem with worrying about winning and losing is that your mentality will severely stop your shots from being the best possible and soon your strategy would be destroyed. also, don't think about being judged because if you play at your best, it does not matter how your performance is because it's all u've got. And don't think to impress people. "dance to express, not to impress" can be exactly applied here. i guess it's all about keeping it "natural", don't become too conscious.

honestly, sometimes i think of the most weirdest things ever...i mean i'm playing badminton and thinking about school work?! lol hope i'm of some help.

3. h4n5ip

h4n5ip Regular Member

sometime I just think how to control the game.
    Especially when we are in position being controlled by the opponent.

4. saifii

saifii Regular Member

all i do is to think when he'll force me to the net and for that i usually run forward abit after each rear court shot. maybe sometimes abt taking control

5. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I think about..
    1) calming down
    2) controlling the opponent, looking for gaps in their defence.
    3) keeping both arms up at all times, so that i don't lose my stability.. it's a habit for me to keep my racquet down, it makes me lazier and my footwork becomes literally 'crap'.
    -my friend told me this.. i found it quite true haha.

#5 jhirata, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

1) what kind of groceries i need to stock up on
    2) what i'll be doing for fun the coming weekend
    3) checking out my partner if im playing mixed
    4) if im thirsty, then how much i'd like some water

7. Phuong

Phuong Regular Member

there are only 2 things i keep thinking during a game

1. please don't break the string please don't break the string

2. please don't break the racket please don't break the racket

8. ShuttleCocks

ShuttleCocks Regular Member

Student
    one for me, don't miss, don't miss don't miss

9. gary.lim

gary.lim Regular Member

IT
    I find it best not to think about anything but the shuttle. If I concentrate on the shuttle, I generally hit it correctly. If I don't, my mind wanders all over the place and I tend to mis-hit. I try to let my subconscious look for openings in the defense, or decide what sort of shot to hit.

10. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    shouldn't these be subconscious and automatic? if you're really good, you could combine the two together...:cool:

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    where to go out for foods and drinks afterward:p

12. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    what i think depends on the mood i am at the social.

13. crazyvietboy209

crazyvietboy209 Regular Member

i think about what kind of food am i going to eat that night

14. Carbonex8200LT

Carbonex8200LT Regular Member

Winning That's It:)

15. No one

No one Regular Member

1. don't miss it, don't miss it......
    2. dammit, missed it again!!
    3. if I miss it this time, I'm an idiot.
    4. I'm an idiot.
    5. yes! in your face, b****!
    6. miss it, miss it.......
    7. hmmmm that girl over there is cute. Hope I don't miss the shuttle or smash it into the net while she's looking.
    8. great! Actually a decent shot and she's not looking! keep your mind on the game man....

16. andyleethailand

andyleethailand Regular Member

Student
    1. is anyone watching??? if so, imma perform some tricks!!!
    2. i'm gonna ask for a water break or towel down after this point
    3. what my coach will tell me during the interval...so i dont have to listen then...^^
    4. and yes, i do agree with Phuong , "please neither string or racket break"
    5. i'm gonna f***ing smash the s*** outa you the next time you lift!

that's basically what i think about, some are pointless but oh well, just to calm myself down...:)

17. Ah Sing

Ah Sing Regular Member

18. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    when playing i basically think about what to do. i think about the pace of the game and if its working to my advantage or disadvantage and then from that i would decide what to do in order to change the pace of the game to work in my favour. after my opponent hits a shot and before i hit mine i look and think about when to hit my shot based on where they are what position im in and what would be a good shot to set me up for the next shot and ultimetly to try to set myself up to win the point based off of them hitting a bad shot or making a mistake.

if i miss a shot or hit a bad one and if they win a point i just think whatever its just a point and i go through the game point by point by point. i dont get angry or anything like that cause then you can go into a downward sprial i will laugh, smile or shrug it off and then get ready for the next point. i dont know it sounds like alot that i think about during a game but alot of it seems to just happen subcaunsiouly so yeah my head is not really having thoughts constantly going through it in a sense.

after a point in the brief break i get before serving i will take note if something worked or if a weakness of theirs slipped up and will use that to my advantage in the match remembering what works and what doesnt etc thats all for singles.

for doubles i more so think alright what can i play to set up my partner and to mess up the other teams position and then capatalize on it. i take note of their weaknesses and stregnths so that when playing shots later and thinking about what to play i can remember that and play shots based on that play to the weaker player try to set up me or my partner for the winning shot. but more so its thinking together me and my partner cause doubles is a team event theres 2 of you and i think that communication is way better on court so that you knwo where he is and where you shoudl be and that you can work together i never get mad at my partner as long as there trying and not trying to play retarded stupid shots. i had a partner like that once and maby 1/5 of his shots would go over the net and be good while the others would be instant they net kill and most likley finish it.

#18 smash_master, Jul 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  19. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I'm not really thinking, I just hit whatever shot comes to mind. I'm just having fun on the court most of the time. I'm not really too serious when I play, even during tournaments. I think that's pretty bad.

20. wassup

wassup Regular Member

I would be just analyzing my opponent's. Noticing what are their weaknesses and how i can make those work for me. And i'd also be thinking of a couple of moves ahead, its like chess. I'd want to force my opponent to hit it in an area that i want. This is during tournaments, for social games i'm just goofing around, cracking jokes and discussing whose place we'd be at for drinks after. =)