Increase power for arm and wrist

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by Cengsc, Dec 7, 2004.

1. spence_31

spence_31 Regular Member

school
    to strengthen my wrist/ forearm i use my powerball or i get an old newspaper and with one hand (my racquet hand) scrumple each page into a ball. try doing that like 10 times in a row!!

2. aelkman

aelkman Regular Member

Student
    Hi! I don't have a squash racquet, but I was wondering, would a tennis racquet be about the same for weight training?

3. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Regular Member

4. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    When Lee Chong Wei was training for the Malaysia Open in Kuching some years back.

I saw him use a squash racquet (if I am not mistaken) with add-on iron plate on its shaft. looks really heavy to me.

Not sure the weight though!

5. krisss

krisss Regular Member

The way to train wrist strength - Simply grab your racket , hold it horizontly , parrallel to the floor , and just use your wrist to go up and down , this will hurt after 2-3 minutes , and it will feel like your veins are about to pop :O

O.K second , an ex england player taught me this , and i've also felt a drastic improvement of ym wirst strength. Simply place your hands in front of you , and clench your hands , then unclench. So make a fist then stretch your fingers out , keep doing this for 2-3 minutes , this will also feel very painfull.
    I've also seen quite a few of my friends using a powerball , not sure where to get one but try searching google.
    Also I would recommend getting a squash racket , not too heavy , aprrox 140-160grams.This will help alot , and as soon as you pick up your badminton rakcet , there is a massive difference! You don't need to buy an expensive racket , on ebay for £10 or less , or go to a supermarket and get one

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I severely recommend you also not getting a tennis racket this could lead to injuries , as i said before you can easily obtain a squash racket , for a cheap price , from a supermarket or ebay.

7. PGplayer

PGplayer New Member

Sales Manager
    I have seen some of the BAM player train with squash racquet or warm up with it during tournament.:)

8. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I personally think training with a squash racket helps significantly , and I recomment it to everyone

9. sunjr

sunjr Regular Member

college student
    last few days ago i just bought gosen racket (training 160) the weight is 160gr, its so heavy and i used to trainning..
    i think its very useful..

10. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Not only wrist and arm?

I saw on another forum , that your fingers might be important in smashing?

Does anyone know if this is correct? If so , do you know any finger strengthening drills?

11. sunjr

sunjr Regular Member

college student
    absolutely yes, with the correct finger grip ur hand become relax and comfort to smash, drop or lob..
    u can see all international finger grip are same, u must see it carefully because its so fast..

12. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yes the grip is important , but what about finger strength.
    I know it sounds wierd but I heard it somewhere on this forum

13. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

How long should a person train with a squash racket for, and should they merely shadow or play against a wall?

14. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Not too long, you don't want to hurt yourself. I personally play against a wall but it shouldn't matter too much. I just think that actually hitting the shuttle and having it come back at you at speed helps your reactions a little and may be more beneficial than just swinging a squash racket around.

15. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

Do yu try to play or avoid any stokes more? Like i imagine i could hurt myself atempting backhand clears.

16. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    they dont have big biceps lol.. They just have no fat on their body giving the impression the muscle is bigger than it actually is. Due to high definition and toning.

sight is very misleading at times. Lin Dan is bloody skinny lol hes not tank.

17. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Remember, in badminton, our body don't need bulky muscle in this fast marathon game: Our body go thru changes from Red fiber muscle which take up more or require more Oxygen than fast white muscle--which don't get tired out quickly. This is the Lean muscle--the marathon runner's muscle. Look at the top marathon runners, you can see their capability of lasting a long run.

18. Gold-

Gold- Regular Member

-
    is there any drill that can strengthen both arm and wrist together?

19. jjlow

jjlow Regular Member

i use squash racket for training last time and after i got stronger,i changed to using tennis racket.BUT,MAKE SUR YOUR HAND IS STRONG ENUF BEFORE USING TENNIS RACKET OR YOU WILL GET WRIST AND ELBOW INJURIES.the only thing about heavy racket training is once i stopped for around 1 week,i could feel the strength decreasing.so once you start you have to continue doing cos the strength/power gain will not stay.

20. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    I will not recommend to use a tennisracket to increase your underarm strength. A squashracket is enough to do that or maybe holding to badmintonrackets together and just swinging them through the air without shuttles. A tennisracket is too heavy and the chance of injury is high.....

Kind Regards

JR