Yet another "First machine???" thread

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Lithium381, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Lithium381

Lithium381 Regular Member

Retail Employee
    So i've been inspired by all of you and have decided to undertake the task of stringing myself. It seems to be one of the most expensive recurring costs after shuttles.... between my close group of friends and i, strings get broken two or three times a month... it adds up quick! at $15 to $20 a restring i figured i could get a machine. I've been looking at the EAGNAS HAWK 40, for my first machine. It's in my budget, and is a drop-weight machine, which is suggested by most of you for the first machine... Nobody i knows strings past 24x26. It's a 6 point system, for stability, and a ratchet system for ease of use......

comments, reviews?

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
  3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    For a cheap yet reliable drop weight machine, I suggest to go with Klipper M140. I got the machine for about 5 yrs, and it helped me through 500-600 racket without any breakage. If you do job below 26lbs, as long as you know what you are doing, you should be fine. Only suggestion is to replace the 2 Klipper flying clamps with 2 HQ or 2 Yonex flying clamps for better quality.

Check it out @ www.klipperusa.com ;)

4. coley

coley Regular Member

engineer
    try W and D strings, very helpful and are recommended by alot of people, Frances is always very helpful

www.watdon.com

5. Lithium381

Retail Employee
    Well, i bought one

I ordered the ST-200 from Eagnas...... 6 point holddown mounting and a crank pull. I strung my first racket last night, and old $10 wilson steel racket. all in all, using the one piece method described in the manual, it took about three hours. the cross strings were killing me!! after removing it, i found i had mis-strung a few of the crosses, i.e over over under.... but for my first one, i am happy....did it at 20x22, i've got another cheapy racket i'm going to do a 2ptd w/ prestring to see if that turns out any better, but i have a feeling i'll need more clamps to do so....i only have the two that came with the machine...i'll post pictures later

6. Lithium381

Retail Employee
    I did another one, my yonex cab8600ti. 21x23 2ptd no missed crosses this time! Still took over two hours, including prestring, but i think it came out fine. hopefully i'll get a chance to actually hit with it soon, i've got finals this and next week :(

stringing the crosses takes way to much time!!!

7. Lithium381

Retail Employee
    So the cab actually turned out really well, it's a very capable and playable racket now!!! question is, how do i avoid having the cross-strings all wiggly....they're not 100% parallel.... is it the clamps? am i not pulling it right?

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Not possible with the ST-200. It doesn't have fixed clamps.

9. Lithium381

Retail Employee
    I don't quite understand? fixed clamps are the only way to get parallel cross-strings that run 90 degrees to your mains?

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I agree with Peter the Great. Even if you use Yonex fly clamps on cross, it will still not 100% straight. To get all the crosses straight will need to use fix clamps. The Eagnas fly clamp is too narrow for cross and it will pinch 2 crosses together when you string the crosses.

11. Lithium381

Retail Employee
    I restrung the $10 wilson racket... at 23x26, and it turned out pretty well, no missed crosses and the strings are straight... sweet, haven't hit with it yet though. just under 2 hours