Use of two types of strings on your rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Patriot, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Patriot

Patriot Regular Member

Law Student
    Hellow fellow BC-members,

I had the following question:
    I'm am a singles player in my heart, and that's what I'm best at.
    BUT (there is always a "but" to spicen thins up:p)
    In competition I always have to play two doubles matches before my singles match.

Problem: I'm not good at doubles.

Reason(s): I play fysical, I have no hard/good smash/I own a NS5K which is NOT a doubles racket
    So: I bought an AT-800DF, hoping to spicen up my smashes etc...
    I read alot about some "powerstrings" here at BC and saw that the BG-80 is a powerful string, so I want to string my AT-800 with it.

PROBLEM/QUESTION: I strung my NS5K with BG-65 at 21 lbs. wouldn't it be to hard of a problem if I strung my AT-800 with a different string at a different tension e.g. BG-80 24 lbs?!

would you guys recommend doing that? or rather recommend stringing it BG-65 as well?

Cheers!

Pat!

P.S.: I also try trainin doubles alot (so I don't only rely on a string/racket)
    P.P.S: If such a question is asked before, and I wasn't able to find it through the search function, could you please provide me the link and close the thread?

2. Moggy

Moggy Regular Member

lol when i saw the title i thought it meant like using BG80 for cross and BG66 for mains or something, has anyone ever tried that? Its done in tennis quite often to use two types of strings, my own racquet is strung that way.

Anyway for your question i don't think having different strings matter, infact i have 3 new racquets coming all strung with different types of strings. When i tried the NS5k i found it very poor on everything, it felt head heavy yet couldn't get much power. AT800DE is much better than the NS5k, i think you should just phase it out or sell it off to someone that likes it :D

3. Patriot

Patriot Regular Member

Law Student
    lol sorry for the deceiving title:p

Indeed has that ever been done?

2 types of strings in 1 racket?:D

4. ph_leung

ph_leung Regular Member

I fix things
    I'm sure a bunch of home stringers have done this with scrap string bits.

I've done the following:

Ashaway ML-XL 0.73mm mains/PG 0.66mm cross on a Nanospeed 10000 at ~28lbs

Gosen Pro66 0.66mm mains/Yonex BG-66 0.66mm cross on a Powerblade SL at ~27lbs

The Nanospeed's string felt ok. Nothing bad about the feel. The Powerblade actually played quite well. As expected, the weaker of the strings, the Gosen, broke within a day of playing.

5. Patriot

Patriot Regular Member

Law Student
    Yeah but that's only for rackets you don't often play with right?:eek:

6. xXAceecAXx

xXAceecAXx Regular Member

high school student

wtf?! that raquet is so fake XD

7. casual_gamer

casual_gamer Regular Member

hehe scrap strings indeed. I am currently mixing pro-ace kx 0.66 with some BG66 on the spare racket. Plays ok. Used strings are already pre-stretched too :D

8. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    HAHA
    nano 10K
    fake!

i have seen Armortec 200000 tho

9. Patriot

Patriot Regular Member

Law Student
    yeah there's a topic about it here somewhere :D

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Hi Patriot,
    For your first set of question, you will find BG80 is a far better string than BG65 in every way except durability. However, since you are a defensive player, BG80 actually is better because it hold tension much better than BG65. The BG65 will loss tension faster than the BG80 break.
    NS5K vs AT800df. They are very different racquets. As you siad, NS5k is a pure defensive racquet with flex shaft. light head for fast turn to block and clear smash. AT800df is a more offensive racquet that is head heavy. It will give you better smashing power. With stiff shaft, you will get better control than NS5k. It is also design with defensive player in mind. So it will turn faster then other AT racquets.
    Yes, I will recommend string the AT800df with BG80 at 22x24lb. it will give you the improved power you are looking for. You will also gain control with this racquet. The only problem is AT800df is discontinued and replaced with AT900-t. Also, AT800df has durability issue.

For your second question about hybrid strings, yes, many of us has experiment with it before. My suggestion to you is to experiment yourself. Unless you break main a lot and wish to have in between durability and repulsion, then you can try bg65 or BG65ti for main and BG80 or BG85 for cross. Also, there are different way to string racquet to gain durability of string. It is for you to try and find out the best way and what works for you.

Good luck

11. Patriot

Patriot Regular Member

Law Student
    Silentheart, thanks for the nice and constructive answer!!

I will string the racket BG-80 or BG-85 then!

I sure hope my AT-800DF does not experience those durability issues you mentioned, fingers crossed I gues...

cheers!

Pat!