Steaming shuttles

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by david14700, Nov 20, 2003.

1. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    How do you keep the birdie in the tube when you have both sides open and vertical above hot water? I don't get it.

The other way is to put hot water into the dented cap and close both of them up?

2. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    Most shuttle tubes maintains friction based contact with the shuttle. Try it :)
    Shuttles don't move until you pull it.

Good idea Shifty! Never used that one before. :)
    Will try it before my next session.

3. melee

melee Regular Member

I usually use a humidifier

4. deadman85

deadman85 Regular Member

Student, P/T roulette dealer, P/T waiter
    how long does the steaming effect last?
    coz i usually steam the shuttlecocks the day before play (everytime) and the feathers and cage lasts me at least 1+ games
    but after a few days the feathers seem brittle again...
    so just wondering if you guys steam the tube more than once over a period of time

5. Khawai

Khawai Regular Member

not sure how long the effect lasts. but i steam my shuttlecocks 1 - 2days before i play.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I start to steam the shuttles about 2-3 days prior to the usage, then seal the cover. If I don't use it up within 1 week or so, I will re-steam it another 2 days prior to the usage. ;)

7. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

Don't steam the shuttle one day before you play. It is terrible as the shuttles felt way too wet. Steam few days before use

8. cards_pro

cards_pro Regular Member

I agree.
    You need to steam them few days ahead.
    Otherwise, it will be too heavy and fly a bit too fast.

9. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    And also there is a possibility that they are still wet.

10. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

steaming shuttles...

Steaming shuttles...

Some say it's a good idea, some say it's not. There are plenty of threads around discussing this, but that's not what this thread is about, at least not to start with, although it will probably start a discussion on the pros and cons of steaming....

I've always done my steaming using a variation on the saucepan method shown here -
    http://www.shuttlecock.com/Resources/Shuttlecock/hydrate-steaming.php
    - by using a a kettle instead.

I've now have one of these hand held steamers -
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/HAND-HELD-S...r_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1262646440&sr=8-1
    - purchased for general cleaning around the house and car and I obviously tried it for steaming shuttles.

Very near the tip of the nozzle the steam is HOT, as it is designed to soften and loosen dirt. Too hot for shuttles - it would probably melt the glue. However further away from the tip, >6 inches, the steam actually feels cool - it's more like a dense vapour cloud. Also because it's coming out with some speed, a quick blast at the end of a tube of shuttles sends the steam/vapour all the way through. A few short blasts are all that is needed.

I've done a tube and I will report back on how the shuttles compare with others shuttles hydrated using a kettle.

(I'm off to test it on de-icing my car now :D )

11. noppy

noppy Regular Member

student
    iv always done it with shuttles ive had for over a month or half used tubes. i tested to compare one night and 50% less shuttles were used when they were steamed due to decreased shuttle breakage.

it took me a few tubes to perfect the steaming time i now hold the tube with both ends off on top of the end of the kettle, i allow it to steam until i see any hint of steam at the top inside of the tube then i rotate give the top now bottom end a quick blast and seal a day before play the feathers rarely break.

the problem i actually found was they went soft after a couple of games BUT all i then did was smoothen the feathers place them back in a tube and allow them to dry a bit and they were fine for knock up and even games

Noppy

12. druss

druss Regular Member

The easiest way we found in Canada (where it gets very cold and dry in the winter) is to use a variable humidifier with a top vent. Just take both caps off and stick the entire tube on top... works like a charm.

13. Tony Sun

Tony Sun Regular Member

sales manager
    Steaming is very necessary for a shuttlecocks before use, especially in Winter. Generally, winter is a little dry, and the humidity is low, feathers are more easily to be broken.But with steaming, the feathers absorb humidity, and they turn to be more flexible.

vincemcoupe likes this.
  14. ester2009

ester2009 Regular Member

It is a good idea to prolong the life span of the shuttles. How about the performance? Will it become unstable?

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    All good feather shuttlecocks in good condition do not require steaming because their feathers are all water-proof due to the natural oils in the feathers as well as the structure of the feathers. Only out-of-date feather shuttles need steaming as they have lost most of the natural oils as well as the elasticity of the resins. Steaming will adversely affect the flight of the shuttles.
    In Hong Kong there are days when the temperature is low and the humidity goes down to 20%. Many players use one dozen per court for a 2-hours session because they use out-of-date shuttles. I average only 2 to 3 shuttles for the same 2-hrs session.

16. Tony Sun

Tony Sun Regular Member

sales manager
    Steaming, not means to put shuttlecocks into boiled water. So why do you think it will affect flight stability? If the shuttlecocks are stabel before steaming, they will maintain stable after steaming.
    No matter in what season and under what circumstance, the durability of steamed shuttlecocks will be better than those without steaming. However, in Spring, Summer, and Autumn, the difference is not so obvious, so we ignore the steaming method. BUT in winter, the difference is so big, so we suggest our players to steam the shuttlecocks before use.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Steaming the feathers will slow the rotational speed of the shuttle on its axis. It also changes the center of gravity. Fresh feathers do not benefit from steaming or wetting because their feathers are water-poof and no miosture will stay on the feathers even if you steam or wet the feathers. It is redundant. Only old out-of-date feathers will absorbe moisture from steaming, thus giving it more "lubrication".

18. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

i think the only worry is they're not dry enough when play (so steam atleast 1 day before hand) and don't steam too much as the cocks will get soft which would affect performance. if you follow what other people have done, it should be ok.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Now just ask yourself if a bird will fly better in the rain or when it is rainless?

20. druss

druss Regular Member

You need to keep in mind that there is a certain amount of moisture in good shuttles, regardless of whether they are "waterproof". No feathers are completely waterproof and will lose moisture and come dry and brittle if the ambient humidity is low.

Winters in Canada can really dry out the air, especially if your central heating does not have a built in humidifier. What we do here is open both ends of the tube and stick the entire tube on top of a portable humidifier, if we did not, even new shuttles would only last a few rallys.