Sportsmanship: At the end of the game, shake your opponent's hand first

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Pemuda, May 17, 2008.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

.... before you run off to your coach.

I think it is very poor taste whenever at the end of a match, you will find the winner/s running to their coaches first to celebrate. What happened to shaking your opponent's hand first? What happened to decent sportsmanship and basic courtesy??? As far as I know, it wasnt like this some 8-10 years ago. Sadly, you only see this happening in badminton. And I think badminton may end up the victim if this problem is not addressed.

2. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

the coaches are closest to the court in badminton. that may be why.

3. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    ah, the aftermath of Chen Jin's victory celebration....

.... yeah, in respect and admiration, shake the opponent, then run off with their coach....

... but in the joy of the moment, sometimes players forget, or are too happy and eager to celebrate....

4. flikflak

flikflak Regular Member

Hi guys,

Today in UC 2008, after winning the match, Chinese players were busy celebrating and simply forgot to handshake their opponent first of all, which only took a very few seconds anyway. I didn't watch it thoroughly, but I think they also forgot to handshake the umpire as well.

INA players seem to notice this by glancing at the other side of the net, they actually wanted to handshake and probably congratulated the Chinese players especially after the third match.

My question is, are they the only one to do this? is this kind of thing usual in the past? Did today's Uber Cup teams eventually congratulate each other during ceremony?

Honestly, it doesn't look nice. Even though it's not mandatory, but it's a bad etiquette not to shake your opponent's hand (not to mention saying some nice words) first before you celebrate. Although both teams may salute each other during ceremony, still, it's a bad etiquette.

5. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I don't see any problem as long as they shake hands after the game.
    The case you mentioned normally only happens in the final/major game where players get very emotional after winning and I find that understandable.

6. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=XvnQehYXaG8

Check Korean's reaction after beating INA. They celebrated right away after winning the game but LHI did handshake with TH afterward, I don't see anything wrong there and still a good display of sportsmanship between LHI and TH.

7. flikflak

flikflak Regular Member

I tried hard to remember the usual habit in TC/UC celebration but I'm not sure.

Maybe some players care to handshake first and MANY others already got swarmed by the their teammates.

Yes, I think I can agree that eventually it doesn't matter as long as both teams congratulate each other. Since they're on the heat of the moment of a big team event. However, it would be more polite and classy to handshake the opponent and the umpire before they leave the court.

#7 flikflak, May 17, 2008
    Last edited: May 17, 2008
  8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The winner did went to find his opponent and shake his hand after all the commotion. Its just not shown on tv. If he/she did not have any sportmanship.. he/she wil not bother to take the trouble to find the player.

9. nick.h

nick.h Regular Member

student
    hurts watching taufik losing like that :crying::crying:
    but i agree, there's nothing wrong with going to your coaches first then shake your opponents' hands, after all, the coaches play huge roles in helping the players win. by celebrating the win with coaches first means the players are being respectful & thankful

10. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i don't have the full copy, but i remember the last time the Malaysians won the Thomas Cup, i think it was Lee Suen Tseng on the court, after he won the last 5/7 game, he got swarmed by his teammates, and in the heat of it, didn't shake anyone's hand at all...i do find it a bit annoying, but it is a very emotional game...besides, you never know what happens in the locker rooms or practice arenas or hotel rooms after right? they could always be friends, hangout and congratulate each other then...and the Thomas + Uber cups happen to be team events, so i'd understand that they'd wanna be with teammates/coaches first...

11. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

This is where badminton shuttlers can learn some basic sportsmanship from tennis players. In any Wimbledon, French Open, Australian Open, US Open or Davis Cup matches/finals, you dont see the winner/s running off to celebrate with their coaches/family members etc before they shake their opponent's hand. I have never seen Federer or Boris Becker celebrating with their coaches first.

Even in boxing matches, the winner will immediately shake the loser's hand despite hitting each other silly for a couple of rounds.

To celebrate first after a winning a match and then later go about looking to find your opponent to shake his/her hand is of poor taste. And I seen numerous times where the beaten shuttler was left 'waiting' at the net while the winner was celebrating with his/her coaches.

Well, I guess sports is changing. In badminton, we have this celebrate first thingy and football we have players diving and play acting which was not the norm in the old days.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I agree. For a start players don't run to hug their coach in early rounds or even QF/SF in SS or Open tournaments.

It is quite common in most sports for players to celebrate before commisserating their opponents in a major final (Such as UC).

I think we would be fooling ourselves if we thought sportmanship was a reason why Badminton is not mainstream.

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Squash is not mainstream but I have never seen Nicole David running out the court to celebrate with her coach/teamates etc first before shaking her opponent's hand.

14. flikflak

flikflak Regular Member

Of course it has nothing to do with Badminton being mainstream not.

The handshake issue is all about courtesy. Some people do value it. But I don't know what's the proper courtesy in badminton.... whether it's common or not.

#14 flikflak, May 17, 2008
    Last edited: May 17, 2008
  15. sumbadder

sumbadder Regular Member

I guess if the winner doesn't shake hands with their opponent after the match, that invalidates their win.

16. nmy3889

nmy3889 Regular Member

it would be really funny if a squash player took the trouble to open the court door and run out to hug his/her coach first before shaking the opponent's hand which is right next to her...haha.....:D:D:D

17. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    The Former proves my point - Is doesn't matter whether this courtesy is observed or not, it makes little difference to whether the sport is mainstream. Ask anyone in the street, what makes a sport popular, I would be amazed if anyone said "Sportsmanship".

Remember in badminton we are not closed in a room with the opponent like in badminton. and now the coaches are the closest to the players.

18. pralinescream

pralinescream Regular Member

Exactly. the reason tennis, soccer, basketball,golf etc considered mainstream simply is bcos it's dominated by caucasians/westerners.

badminton can never be mainstream in usa/europe unless got more champions other den from denmark.

companies like nike/adidas or tv stations will not spend their money promoting asian champions. otherwise, superiority of caucasians/westerners will be compromised.

cheers. no intend to incite racial issues here, but that's just only common sense.

19. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Just think of this for sportmanship.

Malaysia and Indonesia have almost been at war for 50 years in so far as their badminton rivalry is concerned.

In 1974 AE MS final the great Rudy Hartono met the Malaysian Punch Gunalan.

In the 2nd set, Punch was holding championship point at 14-7 and Rudy caught up to force a rubber.

Punch pulled no punches in the 3rd and fought all the way. But Rudy held on to win his record 7th AE title. Punch crossed the net to Rudy's court and gave Rudy a big hug and lift him up acknowledging him as a worthy champion.

Dont think Ld would hug LCW or vice versa if they win the OG gold right ?

20. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    tat reli happened?? nice of of punch gunalan to do tat.. win graciously.. as well as losing graciously.. haha :D