TC/UC 2008 - May 16 - Thomas Cup Semifinal - Day 6

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by Qidong, May 14, 2008.

1. economet

economet Regular Member

Li Mao absent

Li Mao is not there. Ahn Jae Chang is coaching the MS.

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

why li mao is not with the team to Jakarta?
    is it true that lee hyun ill had split with his coach?

3. george@chongwei

what can i sai about this HH??..
    he is a **** !!!
    with this such a big tournament, he didnt even take the shot nicely and din even give commitment to all his shot..
    i was very very angry with him yesterday...!!!
    he think he is playing in the training..!!!

4. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

What to say anymore....this is a typical HH.........BAM shd let go of HH......bring up...the youngster........its time to groom more Single players.....MAS is lacking at this moment.....;)

5. george@chongwei

i think better BAM call me go and play !!(erm, i can play better than HH imo)
    haha, juz kidding:D

6. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I think there will be major changes after the Olympic, I think the KKK/TBH combo no longer effective, these two superstars is getting too big to accommodate one another and Rexy sense it so are we. Many of the junior will be brought to national team to replace the veteran. As long as team Malaysia gets stronger for the long run, I am more than willing to take the shot term setback.

7. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Hmm..jason,yesterday i really feel sad ler..We was so close to the final..Sigh..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

1) Hafiz did well in 2002 & 2006 in TC. Hafiz does well in team events. Hafiz beat Bao Bao in ABC in APril 2008, so they went with Hafiz. Arif, remember we already discuss this - someone said they dont want Arif to become another KBH, career before really take off the ground already go down cos of TC loss in 2006.

Or should we go back to why didnt BAM choose Lee TS from KLRC as 4th MS? COuld he have won?

2) Maybe that's why TBH got rattled, with the thought of playing MD1, originally he wasnt fielded, supposed to be KKK/CTF. Rexy said to the media this time TBH didnt play well, I think it's the "nervous" syndrome, Fuzzy pair pass their syndrome to KKK/TBH & KKK/TBH pass their fire to Fuzzy pair :p.

Fuzzy pair, esp Fairuz, had problems with this syndrome the whole of 2007, severely critised by Rexy. The syndrome was still going on during Msia & Korea Open 2008. Took them more than a year as a pair (& years before that as players) to make a break thru in major event. - Rexy was confident enuf to field them as MD1, they beat Fu/Cai last year in CHina Open.

Btw, GUo/Xie will be going OG as 2nd China pair. If follow draw, higher possibility for KKK/TBH to meet Guo/Xie. They will not meet higher seed FuCai till later, depending which half of the draw they're in.

And yes, now both Courageous Shortie & Fuzzy Fairuz are 25, 4 more years they're 29. At 25 only finally, get to go & play 1st TC, been waiting in the wings long time. Dont get me wrong, I'm glad our 3rd MD pair (will be 2nd pair after uncles retire) got some break thru over their syndrome

Nvm, we wait & see Rexy decision in 2 mths time. which ever pair Rexy choose we cheer loud loud during OG :D. You're a Dato', cheer extra terror.

As for KKK/TBH split after OG= perhaps TBH needs a more patient & experienced senior that will encourage him & guide him - sthing like how CCM was with KKK. TBH still is tentative, stime I think, other than outside criticism, he's afraid of not playing well & pissing off KKK.
    If it goes on, their future is best with other partners, not uncles of course, as one BCer suggested, maybe he dunno know uncles going to retire after OG.

9. eaglehelang

Patience, patience, they're doing that for MS after OG. TCS, Chong Wei Feng, Arif some back-up MS will be promoted to senior squad.

TCS & Arif, be ready to take the challenge in 2010.

10. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    Arif is a junior player, he is not in the same class with Chen Jin, or even Joachim Persson, no matter how tough his mentality is, it's near to impossible for Arif to take down Chen Jin. He can't even make past the Malaysian open qualifier 2008. I'll pick Hafiz, although his chances is slim, but he has greater possibility to put up surprise, summore he just defeated Bao last month

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

It's sinking in...and better get used to it..

..After realizing that they've resorted to a similar approach before, in previous TC edition, i'm starting to realize that perhaps this is the only way the KOR squad believe they can have a chance of reaching the Final, or avoiding CHN til the last round, and winning it all. Perhaps all of the "traditional" badminton powerhouse nations (other than the infamous similar approach done by the INA squad in 1992) would not do this kind of approach.
    ...I think we should not be surprised anymore of the so called KOR's "intelligent" tactic and approach. They took the risk and all the pieces came to place.
    ..It's sinking in now.....And folks, don't be surprised if come the 2010 TC and CHN is the favorite again, the KOR squad will use this kind of tactic/approach, again. Yes, let them be & we better get used to it.:cool:

#2211 ctjcad, May 17, 2008
    Last edited: May 17, 2008
  12. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    How it works is, when there's an inclination or choice to do something deemed "unfair" to achieve a goal, say, an ill-advised U-turn, littering, and people choose to exercise that "freedom," then the governing body will enact a rule of law so there's a penalty for choosing that path.

In the football story of Indonesia and another team tanking a game to avoid meeting Vietnam in a football match, there were severe penalties to the people involved.

It's a lesson to BWF to close the loophole.

-dave

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

No matter which angle we look at it, we had no depth in our MS. WCH is past his sell by date while HH cant even be relied on to deliver pizza on time.

And coupled with our weak mentality, it was an uphill battle for us from the start against China.

I have said earlier, we should be realistic. Our chance to take that TC is never in Jakarta. Our best chance lies in the future. And with that I have maintained that we should have fielded the juniors like Arif etc especially in WCH and HH's place. Yes, they may be beaten BUT at least they get to experienced the TC which may be put to good use for our future campaigns.

Lets do away with our usual Malaysia Boleh excuses like "we got no one else other than WCH & HH" or "our juniors not ready or up to mark". Our government have invested a lot of money in badminton. And it is shameful despite all the effort, we still need to fall back on HH. If HH is a Chinese shuttler, LYB would have thrown him out years ago. BAM needs to be brave and discard all the favoritism. Develop the juniors and rate all shuttlers by performance.

And please lets not console ourselves with "the money injected into badminton mainly comes from sponsors" because sponsors such as Proton which is a GLC is still the rakyat's money. :rolleyes: Unless Fedex is sponsoring Malaysia (like China) then we can truly say our team is sponsored in the true sense of the word.

2010 is looking bleak for we dont have any outstanding juniors coming up that can be world beaters in 2 years time. And this is where we shot ourselves in the foot.

To digress a little, Malaysia finished last in field hockey for the Sultan Azlan Cup :(. Even Canada has now gone ahead of us. This is Malaysia Boleh la.

14. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Isnt this clear enough?Optimistic,too is a factor.

And this is beyond expectations.I think mirnawan will be crying seeing this.

15. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    ME TOO!!!everyone watching is cursing him.why it is so hard to support him?

16. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    This sound nice.Even if rexy drop kkk in a big tour after this,i found myself as able to accept that.
    Owe an explanation of course.

17. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

No, I dont think the result was beyond expectation. It just that other nations worked diligently to improve while we focused on rhetorics like Malaysia Boleh.

18. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i dont know how good malaysia is in field hockey but do you reckon they just literally sit back and relax in training shouting "malaysia boleh" ? if thats the case, then the whole sporting body in malaysia requires reform.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic-I hope..

...BWF is not finding more and more loopholes to close....hmm..:confused: :rolleyes::p

20. eaglehelang

The objective given by the powers that be to the badminton team is to win TC, not exposure for juniors. Exposure is smaller tourneys like SEA Games, individual events SS, GP, GP Gold.

The decision makers wouldnt have chosen Arif or any junior to play in an important tie unless the 1st 3 MS are injured. If they fielded a junior (when a senior is available) & lost, the coaches will be blamed & no amount of 'preparing juniors for future TC" reason will be accepted & heads will roll.
    The case of inexperienced KBH crumbling in 2006 TC would be cited.
    If they field a senior & lost, it's the senior's fault.

Even chosing Arif over the more experienced Lee TS as 4th single was questioned, BAM had to defend & say the main MS are experienced in TC and sending Arif is for future.
    Now too, there are questions that Msia should have sent Lee Tsuen Seng as 4th MS to play CHen Jin, since Arif wouldnt win against CJ anyway. LTS at least got chance.

They cant say either "but we wont win the TC anyway", that would be construed as very negative thinking, more hammering will come.
    There will pressure from NSC & SPorts Minister -> SEA Games 2007, NSC wanted BAM to send WMC, WPT/CEH for it to win gold. Initially BAM wanted to send all juniors,-> BAM had to relent, in the end WMC & CEH got injured, cannot go.
    BAM sent mainly juniors for Sea Games, ended up worst result ever, only bronze, BAM had to take the heat for that.

So, as I stated in the other thread, unless the reason is no seniors/experienced players available, like our Uber team, no way the decision makers would send majority juniors for important team events like TC/Uber, it would be seen as suicidial & may cripple player's careers (the oft quoted example 'if they lose & end up like KBH').

And of course it would also be critised by many quarters as waste of taxpayers $$$ - would be seen as " huh? send all these rookies sure lose, if not intend to win, dont waste "rakyat $$$" sending".
    Every country sent their best possible team, including those that have very little chance of going far in TC/Uber (US, NZ..)

#2220 eaglehelang, May 18, 2008
    Last edited: May 18, 2008