Food Before Play

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kimchipride, May 9, 2008.

1. Dealucis

Dealucis Regular Member

yesterday morning I was kindof busy, and didn't have time for lunch an hour before I play, so i grabbed a pack of rice + roasted pork from a nearby chinese restaurant near my uni, and ate them like.. 15 minutes before I play. Oh, and also half a can of coke. Well.. lets say I made a huge mistake :(

2. lwiew

lwiew Regular Member

Student
    Man, tell me about it...

This one time, I finished a big sausage roll like 5 mins before playing and ran to the court...And then *played* singles. I had to stop several several several times cause I thought i was about to throw up on the court. My partner was just urging me to go and throw up and then come back and play... lol.

Generally I eat like..15-30 mins before playing. I get up late on the weekends so after my late brekky, I don't feel hungry at lunchtime, but I force myself to eat something before I play. That means that usually, I wait until just before badminton starts before I eat...which I think is bad =S

After badminton though, I just gotta have junk food. Something super greasy, like KFC or oporto or Maccas... =S Such a bad habit... =(

3. samtruong200

samtruong200 Regular Member

quizno's is good for me when i play. however, when i eat it i only take about 2 or 3 bites at a time and come back to it in between games. it works.

4. Heong

Heong Regular Member

Just don't eat fast food or meat.
    You'll feel bloated & dehydrated.

Fruits like Banana is good & a bottle of Ribena!

5. BobbyGeneric

BobbyGeneric Regular Member

IT professional
    I recall my coach told me anything

-spicy
    -high in lactates (dairy products such as cheese, milk)

will lower your energy before play and to avoid these even the night before if you have a tournament the next morning. Also as mentioned above food/drink that's:

- greasy
    - heavy (steak, sausage)
    - carbonated
    - alcoholic

is a bad idea... try to eat carbs about 6-18 hours before such as pasta/rice with little oil/fat and immediately before some bananas mixed with an nutritional bar (cliff, lara) will keep you energized to play well without getting too tired after 15mins of play like high sugar stuff (like candy) will.

There are other things to eat during a tournament but this thread is just the "before" so I'll stick to that.

Anybody with even more experience on the subject have some thoughts?

6. Makunouchi

Makunouchi Regular Member

Badminton Addict
    I usually eat banana before my game. However, somebody told me to eat pasta for a day if you have a tournament the next day. All I can say it works for me.